SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnmca

Great...just found out about caulk vs grout. What now?

lnmca
16 years ago

Hello. We purchased a new construction home about a year and a 1/2 ago. 1 year warranty has come and gone. At that time I had on my punch list to fix the cracks WHERE THE FLOOOR MEETS THE WALL IN OUR TILED Steam SHOWER. The subs who were called in to do the job tsk tsk'd the original (different) installers and said that they don't know why they didn't put a seam of clear silicone on top of the grout. They sealed it up and said we shouldn't have any more problems. The seams APPEAR to be fine. But later on, I noticed in other (non-wet) parts of the bathroom hairline cracks in vertical seams, I am assuming from settling, movement etc.

So I got curious and started to peruse this board doing searches like grout vs. caulk, etc.

OOPS. Wish I had known.

What can I do at this late juncture to remedy the problem? Am I correct in assuming that I have to take out the grout and apply caulk instead?

Is there some way that I can tell the difference between a seam that has been caulked and a seam that has been grouted (maybe there is a God and they actually caulked where they were supposed to...although I doubt it as evidenced by the cracking)????

I think I know what I have to do but I just want to be sure before I attempt this massive undertaking throughout our home.

The only exception I can see possibly for us is a thread that I found talking about a "full floated mud job behind the tile" but I really have no idea what that means.

Also, is there a bible for tile installation that is regarded as law that can be referenced should I choose to inform the builders or subs about this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

signed,

Late to the Game

Missed the Boat

Uninformed

Whatever you want to call it!

Comments (8)