SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snittybitty

Help! Baseboard Tile for Hex Tile Floor?

snittybitty
12 years ago

Hey, all!

Quick and pressing question - My husband just finished laying the 1 inch hex tile in our bathroom, as well as the 3 x 6 baseboard tile (both white). As he started to grout it all with laticrete Smoke Grey, I panicked and asked him if they should be the same color. I wondered whether the 3 x 6 tiles should be grouted with the much lighter color grout (or similar) as the white subway tile in the shower (Polyblend Snow White). It looked a little odd to me to have the grey grout showing at the top of the 3 x 6 baseboard tiles where the white walls will be abutting it.

Below is a picture of the tile (still needs to be cleaned a bit!), showing the grout color against the wall. Keep in mind the wall still needs to be painted. My husband also said you can make a paint line which will cover a bit of the grey grout on top. Is he correct or crazy?

What is common practice? Or what do you all do about baseboard tile? Same color? Different color? Grout floor tiles before or after installing baseboard tiles?

Waiting anxiously for responses so I have some feedback to give him (he's a carpenter by profession and a good tile layer, but it's not his main field).

Thanks!

Inga

Comment (1)