SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barelythere_gw

White Hex Floor Tile/Wood Floor Combo

barelythere
13 years ago

So I have an imagination that drives my DH crazy...because he's a general contractor and therefore he's the one who ends up having to deal with my ideas and make them work. That's why I would like a few opinions from others...I haven't mentioned this to him yet as I want to think about it first.

First, we bought the all-white hex tile from HD as we're gearing up to renovate our master bath. We will also be using AO white suway tile from Lowe's for the shower walls(and continuing hex on the floor of the shower--we're using the kerdi system) but we won't be going half-way up the wall with subway outside of the shower. We'll just be using the (not sure what the proper term is)coordinating tile that is used like trim--in place of baseboard--around the perimeter of the bathroom and paint the rest of the room.

Now, the rest of the floors in our house, except for one other bathroom, are very dark stained pre-finished bamboo. We have a few left over boxes of this bamboo. I've been looking at pics of subway/hex tile bathrooms and the ones I like the most are those that have a dark(er)/black accent strip that goes around the floor, a few tiles in from the perimeter. But I don't want to do it with black accent tile as is shown because to me, it fights too much with the dark brown in our floors and fixtures. All of the bath/kithen/fixed hardware in our house is oil-rubbed bronze and will continue in this bathroom as well.

Since the white Hex tile will butt right up to the dark bamboo floor coming from the bedroom, I was thinking it would be interesting to use a few strips of flooring to make our own version of this accent--to tie it in with the rest of the house (the vanity we chose will also be dark stained with a light marble top--that may be enough on its own to tie things together...but!). Of course it will be much wider than a narrow tile accent but I think it may still work? I know I can't use it in the shower itself!

So what does everyone think about how it would look? Wierd or what? My next concern would be how to seal it in properly next to the tile so that it wouldn't get water damaged--although it shouldn't have too much contact with water except for where one steps out of the shower. I know DH would have his own opinions on this, just want to know if it's even witin the realm of possibilities before I bring it up.

Opinions and advice would be much appreciated...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio