SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jssaustintx

Tile grout color: subway tile with hex floor grout matching

jssaustintx
12 years ago

I have exhausted myself looking at pictures of different grout color options for the subway tile for shower walls and 1" hexagon floor we plan to install. My dilemmas are

1)Should the grout be the same color? Will it look weird to use a darker gray on the floor and a lighter gray in the shower? I like a darker color with the hexagonal tile, but it's a bigger effect than I'm looking for with the subway. Originally I picked white grout for shower, but I've heard white really shows "dirt" and even a light gray/silver will be a bit more forgiving. And I do like a slight contrast. Any recommended colors for the shower and floor tiles along these lines? I've been getting stuff at Lowe's and they carry MAPEI(?).

2) Our bathroom isn't perfectly square. I think a colored grout seam that is uneven will be really obvious(that's my understanding where you would do any flubbing). Can you grout just the seam white? Can you skip grout and caulk it? Any suggestions here?

3)I know about the 1/8" rule for sanded and unsanded. Does anyone know what the measure is for hex tile and subway?

Any pictures and or recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. I have been reading the forum for awhile and searched but I haven't come across these particular questions yet. Great community!

Signed, Tired in Texas

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm