SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teri_b

carrara hex tiles on shower floor won't dry out

Teresa Broberg
8 years ago

I have been working with my contractor to try to rectify a problem. I have only used my new shower one time, and the marble 1" hex tiles on the shower floor darkened and got worse daily. Two months later, the wet look has spread to about a 24" diameter around the drain. There is no visible moisture or wet feeling. After discussing with experts at the tile store, my contractor insists that what I am seeing is the thinset through the tiles, which he says are translucent. I am wondering if I am the only person with white Carrara (grayish-white, actually) that has this problem. It seems like there should be an epidemic of it out there. My contractor is saying that it is an aesthetic problem specific to Carrara, and to rectify it, I will need a different tile.

This whole situation is making me crazy. I spent a lot of money on a beautiful marble shower, and it looks terrible. He told me to go ahead and start using it because it is just an aesthetic problem. If I want it fixed, I have to buy different tiles.

Any help out there?

Comments (91)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio