SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marianne_thompson_stratton

Please review my rough plan

Hi everyone - I've been lurking for some time now and excited and nervous to post my rough plan! Any comments would be wonderful!

We are a family of 4, boy 2 and girl 9 mos with hopefully 1 or 2 more down the road. Not concerned with formal spaces. we want to use the whole house. Don't have land yet but looking for 2 to 5 acres of open land in Delaware. The second floor would take up the footprint of the main part of the first floor, but not the mud/laundry, garage, or screened porch. Planning on 4 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs, including master suite. Hope this isn't too much info:

Windows are approximately where I would like to put them but not accurately placed or sized. Garage doors obviously not yet added! We are planning on a basement for additional room and entertaining areas (i.e. when children's friends come over). I want an open plan with few or no tight spots and not feel like I'm going through a maze. We very casually entertain our families somewhat often, which is about 20 to 25 people. Play/ flex room would have toys and crafts storage/table and could change as our needs change. Pocket door into mud/laundry would probably be open most of the time but give the option to close it off. We never use a coat closet for guests so not concerned that there isn't one near the front door. I want to encourage everyone to use the front door and I don't want the garage to stick out too far forward because I want the front door to be easily accessible and welcoming.

Tried to keep laundry and stove on exterior walls. The most I want on my island is a prep sink. Plan to have stools on long side facing sink. Would make a slightly higher wall along back of counter run where sink is. I plan to post my kitchen plan on the kitchens forum if it seems that this general plan is workable.

Hoping to put laundry chute in. Also, I definitely want main floor laundry.

I'm concerned about the sightline when you walk in - there would probably have to be a sofa in the sight line from front door to back door to porch. Also concerned about screened in porch size - want room for a rectangular dining table and a small conversation set. I'm thinking we will put in skylights in back porch. Concerned about opening to the dining room - potential choke point? I also can't completely envision how to define the kitchen without closing it in too much.

I'm also including the general idea I'm going for on the exterior.

Thanks so much!

Marianne

Comments (6)