SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Please review my 'much easier to read' plan

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Thanks to Summerfield, not only for the beautiful drawing/software, but polishing and improving my plan...I finally have a much easier to read version. Please review and let me know, what you think.

Here's a little background. We live on a farm and have horses, kitties and a big family. The nearest grocery store is a half hour away (in good weather) and being in eastern Washington...we usually have four to five months of snow each year. This is followed by four to six weeks of 'mud season' as the snow finally melts...which is why we need for all the pantry storage and the mudroom.

We haven't entertained all that much, in the past, but recently more people have wanted to come out for dinner and holidays. We also have a TON (okay maybe not that many) but a lot of nieces and nephews and they all like to come out and see the horses, help/play in the gardens and would love to spend the night or weekend, if we had more guest space.

The living room, dining room, bath, study, utility area and most of the sun porch and kitchen are the original house. The addition would be the keeping room, mudroom and bedroom wing. The bathroom is designed that way, so it can be used by everyone when we have company, but private to the bedroom, at night. Also, while we can easily use stairs now, living all on one floor is a bit addictive (okay, maybe I've just become lazy) but I'd rather have one floor living, for the main spaces. There's a cellar space, under the kitchen/dining room, with an existing rec room, under the living room and den. The 'upstairs' is mainly an attic space, which could be converted into a couple of bedrooms (especially for kids) but they both would have sloping ceilings, very little head room (might need a gable or two) and no plumbing up there.

With our long winters, I really wanted a sun porch (the corner faces south) and the courtyard is to make the bedroom addition look less like an 'add on' and also to have a place to grow climbing roses/have a garden...that the deer can't get into. And, it blocks the parking area, which is on that side of the house, towards the front.

The screened deck would probably be a porch, since we get so much snow, I think we'd need a roof. We have a creek behind the house and with our hot summers, it's nice to have a shady, bug-free area. Not to mention keeping the racoons and porcupines, etc. out of the hot tub and away from the BBQ! LOL

Thanks for looking at the plan and have a great weekend! :)
{{gwi:1400113}}From Courtyard Garden album

Comments (46)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area