SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Do you consider yourself a light packer?

claire_de_luna
14 years ago

I seem to take a lot of stuff when I travel, but I've really been trying to whittle the amount down. I recently downsized to two smallish bags; one is an under-seat rolling tote, the other is shoulder bag that rides on top of the roller bag. I believe in carry-on luggage, and two small bags seems like a better balancing solution for me, than one. I've been teased a lot lately, since I've been packing these bags and trying to figure out how it all goes into the least amount of space. (NO, I'm not going anywhere. Yet. I think I'm ready to though and I will be ready when the time comes!)

The last two trips I've taken had me making a packing list so I could eliminate anything I didn't really use, and I embraced space bags for the first time...and packing cubes and folders. I used to be fond of putting everything in ziplock bags, but the cubes and folders make me feel like this is a more permanent and organized solution.

So my question is: How do you travel? Have you embraced anything that has made it easier for you to take less and travel lighter?

Comments (58)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

After years of 75% travel with my job, I became the queen of light packing. I even was asked to conduct road warrior workshops for my company.

I have identified the items that are necessary and too expensive to purchase if I should forget to pack. I always keep a bag packed which, if necessary, can be carried on.

The pre-trip habit with the biggest payoff are my trip lists that are attached to the back door. The 3 lists: long trip, road trip, and softball trip. Each list has a "pack" checklist and a "do" checklist. The "do" check list includes things like "stop the newspaper"; "turn up the AC"; "inform neighbors", etc. The older I get, the more critical checking these lists become! Almost as important is my neck wallet for travel documents and ID.

Another important practice that has a big payoff is all my accounts are setup for ACH or auto pay.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I take everything including the kitchen sink!
    The greatest packing trial I ever had was a trip I took to Africa...3 days in Nairobi, 4 on safari and an 11 day cruise.
    And the safari stuff had to be separate from the cruise stuff...so on safari you never saw your cruise stuff your safari stuff never got to the cruise ship.
    And on the cruise you needed to dress for dinner....and also slog through a jungle here and there!
    I tried to simplify by putting the shampoo in my safari bag and use the hotel's shampoo in Nairobi...little did I know that there was no conditioner and the shampoo resembeled Liquid Joy for dishes!! In Africa I had a blond afro!!
    If I could drive to Europe, things would be so easy!!
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

How do you make yourself go plant bulbs when it is COLD?!

Q

Comments (19)
    I felt halfway over my cold today, when the weather was supposed to be the highest in a while, 42 F, and even kind of sunny. After a few non-postponable family commitments, I put on a scarf, hat, and down coat and headed out at 2 pm to make tracks before the sun went down at four. Dashing back and forth between the garage and the back yard assembling tools and my huge tray of bulbs, I chortled, "It doesnÂt even FEEL cold!" I decided to start with the little bulbs like chionodoxa that needed shallow 3 inch holes, thinking once I got those done I would feel a great sense of accomplishment. Then I started digging my first little hole. I thought, "WhatÂs that yucky white mold under the mulch?" and plunged my trowel in. Or not. (Did I hit a rock? Move trowel over, try againÂ) Nothing happened. The trowel did not go in even an inch. ThatÂs when I realized the funny looking white stuff was not mold, but ICE CRYSTALS. The ground was already frozen! In mid-November! IÂve planted later than this before! How can this be??? I got a pickaxe and managed to plant maybe 50 before the sun was too far down to continue. That is, if you can call it "planting" when you put a chunk of frozen dirt on top of a bulb and canÂt press it down knowing that if you do, you will crush the bulb. 3 inch deep hole, hah. Those chionodoxa are an inch down if anything. 50 down, 650 to goÂ.ItÂs supposed to snow tomorrow.
    ...See More

Exactly how honest do you consider yourself?

Q

Comments (39)
    This is nice! I'm so glad to see many of you are as honest as one could possibly be. I'm one among you. I don't like to keep anything that is not mine. Sitting in a wheelchair, I often use my wheelchair as a shopping cart. One time, I found an unpaid pack of battery on my wheelchair as I was getting ready to put the chair in the van. Right away, I felt uneasy. I went back to the store, explained that it was overlooked and paid for it. The funny thing was, people just don't know how to deal with an honest person. They have this "lost" look on their face. Oh, I'm sure they would know exactly what to do with a dishonest person. One time, I was taking money out of an ATM at the bank. The ATM spit out more money than I requested. I went into the bank to return it. The teller checked my account and didn't see any overdrawl. She checked and checked on the computer and didn't see any error. She looked at me and told me I can keep it. I refused. I explained to her that eventually, it will show up a lost somewhere at their end. She talked to other tellers and no teller knew what to do with the money. So, I requested for the manager. He came out, apologized for the error and accepted the money. Although, he too, didn't know what to do with it. The whole ordeal was so odd to me. A bank that wouldn't accept their money because at the time, there was no record of a lost in their computer system. I'm sure they eventually found it when they started looking in the ATM machine. LOL....
    ...See More

do you mow your own yard, yourself

Q

Comments (55)
    For years I had the kids down the street do it for $20 - this was ten years ago. They graduated and moved away and I decided that to pay what it would cost for pros, I'd do it myself. Bought myself a small riding lawn mower (paid for itself years ago) which mulches so I don't have to bag it. From start to finish when it's hosed off and put away, it takes me exactly one hour. I'm out there literally at the crack of dawn to beat the intense heat we have here in the summer. In the northwest, we have long hours of sun so I have to cut it twice a week or it will get incredibly long and too thick. Once a week, DH uses the weed eater and trims back what the mower can't quite reach. It works for us! I put on my ipod and it helps a great deal with the boredom factor. By mid fall, when I can quit cutting the grass, I'm really done with that twice a week chore but I only get sick of it really by the time I can quit doing it anyway.
    ...See More

If you had one whole day to yourself, what would you do?

Q

Comments (27)
    I've been sitting here for a few minutes contemplating what I'd do if I had a day to myself. No kids? No interruptions? Peace and quiet all day long? It's sounding so good, I just might try to arrange it in the next couple of months! :) I would sleep in. I'd read in bed. I'd have a long bath, go check out a couple of thrift stores, eat lunch out.... I'd go for a nice hike somewhere quiet by the water. I'd go home and order in some Vietnamese soup for dinner. I'd read out on the deck with a big glass of wine and some jazz music. Then I'd watch a good chick flick before reading in bed some more. Ahhhh.... I feel refreshed just having written about it! :)
    ...See More
  • Lars
    14 years ago

I'm not a light packer, but I'm trying to get better. I like your idea of making a packing list. It seems that every time I go somewhere I always forget something significant. One time I went to San Francisco and forgot to pack pants. So I had to buy some when I got there, and then it seemed that I must have forgotten them on purpose, even though there are plenty of decent shops here in L.A. I do prefer shopping in S.F., however.

When I first went to Acapulco in 1981, I took 12 bathing suits because I was going to be there four days. I started my trip in Mexico City, where I would base myself for two months of the winter, to avoid the cold weather in S.F., where I lived back then. Anyway, in Acapulco I had a morning, early afternoon, and late afternoon bathing suit for each day, since that was practically all I wore until evening, when I would wear regular shorts. You have to remember that I was a fashion designer at the time, and I made my own bathing suits (and a few other clothes for myself). While in Acapulco I met someone from L.A. who worked for Mr. Blackwell, and so that was a good connection. I used to try to take all of my tank tops when I would go to Mexico from San Francisco, thinking that they would take up no space, but I discovered that 30 tank tops actually did take up significant space.

I always pack lots and lots of shoes - that's one thing I've never forgotten to take. I don't travel as much as I used to, but I do try to underpack when I'm going to a shopping destination. In the last few years, however, I've spent very little on clothes, but in my 20s and 30s (and even 40s) I had tons of clothes. In my 20s I either made my own or bought very inexpensive vintage clothes that I prefered to the then current fashion. One of the reasons I would travel was that I had worn everything I owned in San Francisco and so felt that I had to go to a different city for a while. I had to go to New York occasionally on business, and I never packed light to go there because I never knew what I was going to want to wear. Although the ladies evening wear that I made sold better in NY than anywhere else, my own personal fashion got strange reactions. One leather supplier told me that I dressed like a pimp - just because I was wearing yellow patent leather shoes!

Sorry, I'm not any help on packing light!!

Lars

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

I use large (very large) zip lock baggies and the plastic bags that home linens come in to organize my clothes in luggage. I don't like the idea of people pawing through my stuff, swabbing chemicals around my unmentionables looking for combustible residue or whatever they call it.

I try for trips of a week or less to do with carry-on, but often when we travel to Europe, my husband has to have a big checked bag because he needs suits/shirts/ties etc. for buisness meetings.

I have a couple of inflatable clothes hangers, and always bring some concentrated Woolite and concentrated Downey fabric softener for hand laundry. All of my travel clothes are hand laundry lol. Almost every hotel has an iron and ironing board available if you ask.

Edit, edit, edit...it gets easier with experience. Three days of clothes, and then wash and wear them again. Scarves are a great accessory. Since I recently finished chemo, shampoo and conditioner aren't an issue.

The most important things are comfortable shoes, a wine cork and a good digital camera. Oh - and a sense of humor!

seagrass

• brody_miasmom
    14 years ago

In a word, NO!

• netla
    14 years ago

I am an adaptable packer. My packing depends on:
    a) the length of the trip
    b) the type of trip

The shorter the trip the proportionally more luggage I take, because on a short trip I would rather be having fun or writing in my journal than doing laundry. On longer trips, I resign myself to doing laundry so I can take less stuff, and I budget for buying things I might need.

If I'm moving around a lot, I will take no more than I can easily carry with me, but if I'm going to be in the same hotel the whole time, I take more. The extra bulk tends to be composed of clothes and books.

One trick I have learned about packing is to take my oldest, most worn underwear and threadbare socks on trips and discard them once they are dirty. This way I have enough clothes to escape having to do laundry so often, and I make room for buying books and souvenirs.

I have also started taking disposable books with me (i.e. guaranteed one-time reads). I read them and simply leave them for someone else to find and enjoy.

Having had my luggage go missing three times in 10 trips I made abroad, I now always pack a 2-day survival kit in my hand luggage. On 2 occasions since I started this I have found I could very well use just that and do without the rest.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I am a terrible packer. I always haul too much stuff. Just the things I need for my hair can fill a small bag. If I am traveling by car I tend to use the car as a big suitcase and keep throwing things in.

Today I am playing hooky from work and going to the beach! Bathing suit, coverup, towel, book and sunscreen, right? No not me. I've got extra clothes, makeup, two towels, etc etc etc.

Is there a 12 step program for overpackers?

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Gina, Elery and I flew Southwest when we went to Texas. A scheduled stop in Minneapolis on the way out turned into an hour delay so they could change a tire, a scheduled stop in Chicago at Midway on the way back turned into a two hour delay as we waited for another flight that was late, apparently Southwest is infamous for that. They did have drinks, Elery used both of my tickets and both of his, waiting on the runway. LOL We got in the first group of people boarding each time. I do like their planes better than American, there's more room.

I just hate carry-on luggage. I don't like dragging it around, running it through security, sitting and guarding it at the airport, fighting with the overhead bins when I'm 5'1" and can never reach them without standing on the seat, and trying to find a place to store it, whether over my seat or someone else's.

If the airlines lose my luggage, I'll buy new stuff. I only go on one trip a year and I absolutely HATE to fly. When we retire, we'll drive. Fortunately, nothing has been lost on either of the two times I've flown anywhere, LOL.

Lars, I've never even OWNED 12 bathing suits!

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Never! I take the kitchen sink if it will fit in. I'm prepared for everything including the next ice age, all shops closed for months at my destination, having to live on a desert island or having to live for a year from my suitcase. But I have at least managed to save my written lists of what I mustn't forget to put in there from year to year.

When I'm flying trans Atlantic and it takes 4 flights to get to my Vancouver Island destination, over the years I have at least whittled my baggage down to one large hard case that locks on 3 sides, one smallish roller bag that goes in the overhead bin and a good sized cabin shoulder bag that goes under the seat in front of me. Valuables such as passport, money, camera etc goes in there. My overnight stuff for the stop in London, as well as camera gear, goes in the roller bag so I don't have to open the big case (and also in case the big bag doesn't arrive with me).

I've got it down to a routine but I still have the big suicase stuffed with clothes for every event as well as gifts for the family.
    I can't help taking about 4 pairs of shoes, and buying more when I get there! But my stay is usually around 6 weeks so weather can change too during that time.
    I gave up trying to be a light packer, because whatever I left behind at home was exactly what I needed when I arrived at my holiday destination LOL!

Luckily I've never had a bag go astray. Once or twice it arrived a few hours later and was delivered to the door, but never anything lost.

SharonCb

• dlundin
    14 years ago

Oh my word, I am the worst packer ever. I would love to have been born in the heyday of traveling with a full set of luggage, including steamer trunks. I'm going to Spain on Saturday and I'm dreading what I'm going to do to that poor suitcase. On board, I'm carrying a tote bag with all my electronics... Kindle, ipod, noise-reduction earphones... and snacks, wallet, passport (usually a GPS as well, but not this time) and a camera bag. Lord have mercy on the suitcase. I don't think I've even traveled for a weekend without bringing five pairs of shoes. My proudest moment is when I return home and realized I've used at least 80 percent of the crap I pack.

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

I think I pack my whole closet, and still won't have what I really need....I am my mother....

Is there a support group for overpackers somewhere?

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

LOL, I've never owned 12 bathing suits OR 30 tank tops! Lars you are too cute.

I haven't found any reversible clothes, but if you spill something on a shirt it probably doesn't matter - it will show on the other side too!

The latest sports wear I found was from Columbia Sportwear and North Face.

I don't travel much to cold climes, so that makes it easy to pack light too. Sweaters, coats and boots take more room than a carry-on can handle.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I think Lars wins the prize for number of swimsuits and tank tops!

• jude31
    14 years ago

I always overpack, hard as I try not to. I'm going to Europe for 10 days in mid-October. We'll be tooling around in Germany for the first 6 days, 3 of us, one guy, 2 gals, in a 4 door sedan with 5 or 6 pieces of luggage. We'll be visiting small villages with small hotels or lodging, probably not a lot of amenities, bath down the hall,etc. My friend and I have already decided each of us will be wearing 1 pair of jeans for that leg of the trip. We'll just stand them in the corner at night.
    The next part of the trip is a river cruise from Basel, Switrzerland to Amsterdam on the Rhine river. I think dress will be casual, so khakis, but there will be the Captain's Welcome dinner and the Farewell dinner where it will be a little dressier. I don't do dresses so it will be black pants and some sort of dressy top for them. One pair of walking shoes and a pair of black shoes will be it for the shoes. I always take way too many tops , underwear doesn't make that much difference. It packs smaller than anything else. The big thing is my buckwheat pillow, not big but bulky. It will be cool so there'll have to be a jacket of some sort and I am taking a polarfleece vest as well.
    Help!!!!!

TravelSmith has some reversible clothing and I shop a good bit at Chico's for their travelwear. I never have to worry about swimwear...haven't been in a bathing suit in 20+ years.

Annie, being short is not all bad, I'm 5'9" and clothes for tall people take up more room. My roommate is your height and her things take half as much space.

I need a support group and a solution to my packing woes.

jude

• jude31
    14 years ago

Sorry, that trip is 2 weeks, not 10 days, no wonder I have problems. Don't even know how long I'll be gone.

jude

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Jude, I would be frantic about now if I was preparing for a trip to Europe! What fun, do report back.

For our every-other-year vacation to Europe (which we can't afford any longer with the decline of the US$), we packed mostly clothes and toiletries that could be left behind thus giving us more room to bring home treasures. Of course it is more challenging traveling in the winter, which we always do (low season) because of more bulky clothing.

You know that it is really important that you travel light because you will be changing lodging frequently AND the rooms will be small.

Here is a link that might be useful: Document Wallet

• jude31
    14 years ago

Mustangs,

Thanks for the link for the travel document wallet. The one I have is over 10 years old and I'm ready for a new one.

I don't ordinarily share personal information to people I don't know but after a year or so on the Forums I feel like I DO know you. Last year, on a trip to New England with my 3 daughters, we had an interesting experience, which my daughters thought laughable. First I had a double mastectomy 2 1/2 years ago aand elected not to have reconstructive surgery. I also have a titanium rod in my left leg from a fall 10 years ago. Now the good part,.... coming home, at the Manchester NH airport, the alarm, where they frisk you went off and I explained about the rod but that wasn't enough. They proceeded to take me into a room where it occured to me that there were metal weights in my breast forms (that keeps them from flying over your head when you raise your arms) and that was what caused the metal detectors to go off. I literally had to take one off and show it to the lady, who had called another lady in, for reinforcement, I guess. My oldest daughter took pictures of me with feet apart, arms raised...she thought it extremely funny. I have to admit I was laughing too.
    2 years ago when we went to Italy I took 3 pairs of black pants, 2 pairs were Chico's travelwear, and everthing revolved around them. That was a piece of cake. This time it's like 2 different trips. I suspect we'll be staying in simple lodging, trying to travel as cheaply as possible while we roam around Germany in the car. The accomodations on the cruise will be tight as well but they have lots of amenities, just tight quarters.

I have to plan my occasions as they come. The 20th of Sept, I have a family reunion at my house and we usually have 30 plus people...a covered dish type meal, so that comes first, but I keep thinking about the clothes for the trip.

It will all work out.

jude

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jude, it sounds like you're going to have a great time. Good luck with all you have to do!

Has anyone tried the Traveltow luggage handle? It seems like a good idea. (There are places to get this that are less expensive, but this site has the best explanation.) I ask because I wonder if anyone else ever struggles with their rollerbags.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traveltow

• diana55
    14 years ago

Heavens NO!!! I once flew to Vegas and they fastened a large pink Banner across my suitcase.... CAUTION EXTREMELY HEAVY " LOL Diana55

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It may be that no one is interested in this any longer, but it didn't seem that anyone knew about this. I wanted to tell you all that I invested in a Traveltow handle, and could tell instantly that this is well worth getting. It makes a huge difference when it comes to pulling your luggage, especially if you have issues with carpal tunnel, arthritis, need a little more flexibility, or whether you're a light packer or not. It's worth every cent IMHO, and one of those little things that makes me wish I'd thought of it. Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone who has a trip coming up, or is interested in lugging their bags around in an easier way. I can already tell this is going to make a big difference for me.

• jude31
    14 years ago

Mustangs, just out of curiosity I'd like a peek at your list for, say, European traveling.

jude

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jude, we'll have to see if we can entice her to share with us! I wouldn't mind a peek either.

Mustangs? Will you help us?

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I do now! I have always taken everything possible that I might need for a ten day trip or a three day trip. In January two years ago when we went on the Panama Canal cruise I hurt my back pulling two heavy suitcases.
    When we got off the cruise in Port Canaveral we rented a car and went through the Kennedy Space Center and on to Orlando where we flew into. It was a good walk from the car rental to the airport check-in. I had two suitcases attached together (both heavy,)my purse that was heavy and the cardboard container with four bottles of alcohol (because they were so cheap,)that was heavy.

When we got home I promised myself I would never overpack again and that I would never buy alcohol to bring home again. So far I have kept the alcohol committment, but unfortunately not the overpacking committment.

That September we went on the Alaska cruise and DH said that we were only taking two suitcases. Needless to say we took four bags (and had to pay overweight charges on two.) Everything we bought in Alaska in port we had shipped home but still had to buy a bag on the ship for the things I bought on the ship in order to get everything home.

Last year we went to Brazil and took a cruise from Sao Paulo. We met a very nice couple from Florida and he said that they had decided years ago that if it didn't fit into one bag for each of them that they didn't need it. I decided I was going to follow that thinking. We always send clothes to the laundry on the ship and usually bring home almost half of what I take that we don't wear.

This year we were gone 26 days in March to South America, 16 days on the cruise around Cape Horn and the other ten were travel and land tours. We had to take summer and winter clothes but I decided I was going to take one small bag and two large ones, we did it and still could have taken less.

What it has taken me years to learn.
    I searched the internet a couple of years ago for the lightest weight, expandable, hardsided, four wheel luggage. It's the best money I ever spent and they weren't expensive. No more lugging a suitcase around, just pull up the handle and it just glides right beside you. No more packing dress clothes and shoes for formal nights. I take black pants or capris and tops for me and a sport coat and khakis for DH. It works for us. I no longer take shoes, shoes and more shoes. I take a brown and black pair, a dressier black pair and maybe sneekers. We check all of our bags, except of course my purse and laptop bag. We have arrived and our luggage hasn't on a few occasions, but I hate carry on luggage, especially if you have to change planes and terminals. Las Vegas is our only direct flight and we still check our luggage.

I don't think I could ever be gone 7 or 10 days with just a duffle, but I am working on the one bag each.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Claire and Jude, My list might not apply or make sense to you but this is my International list. The reference to a travel book is what I make for each trip. I include copies of travel documents, itineraries, blank diary pages, relevant pages copied from travel guides (instead of the entire book), hotel confirmations, currency conversion sheet, foreign phrase sheet, copies of ID & passports, credit cards-front & back. I have a binding machine so I bind all pages into my personalized travel guide. This does not include clothing as it would depend on destination, weather, and length of trip.

PACK:
    Passport
    Tickets
    Cash
    Drivers License
    Document Wallet
    Personal Travel Book
    Palm Pilot
    RaymondÂs Meds List
    Calling Card
    Meds & Vitamins
    Glasses
    Sleep Mask
    Audio Books
    GPS

DO:
    Download Current GPS Maps
    Make Travel Book
    Contact House Sitter
    Notify Neighbors
    Cancel Newspaper
    Travel Docs Copies To Sher & Nick
    Set Out Pet Food & Water
    AC Turned Up
    Lock Doors

• jessyf
    14 years ago

'copies of ID & passports, credit cards-front & back' - copies with me, AND scanned and uploaded to my email account (gmail rules again!) in case THAT gets lost - you can always access and reprint it whereever you are.

Duct tape rolled around a Sharpie marker.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trixie, that's very helpful! It's always good to know one can pare down without missing anything.

Cathy, Thank You for your list. (You have a binding machine? I love knowing stuff like this! Is it something you use often? It sounds much more ''professional'' than my mesh envelope with the paper folder and notepad.) You also mentioned having identified the (I can't remember how you put it) ''hard to replace'' items. Would you mind saying which those would be? (Shoes? GPS?)

Jessy, Good ideas. There is no doubt in my mind that duct tape is a useful item to have on hand. Here's what I really want to know however...Have you ever used the duct tape that was rolled around your Sharpie? I recently bought a clothesline and sink stopper for my bag, so thanks for the recommendation. I also bought a retractable cable lock as there has been a few times I wasn't quite comfortable leaving my bags, even in my room.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Claire, Yes, I use the binder machine often. I had one at work to make employee training materials and projects. I became dependent on having a binder to orgainze projects and trips so I got one for home use on eBay. I make about 75 books a year, most are for our softball organization. As I've mentioned before, my daughter got married in Italy. Most in the wedding party had not traveled internationally; I felt like mother hen to all. I wanted everyone to have all the information they needed in their hands at all times. I included everything from itineraries to how to use the grocery shopping carts.

As far as items that I wouldn't/couldn't replace easily, that would be things other than toiletries, basic clothing, and creature comfort items. Since I don't pack extravagantly or excessively, it a short list of "hard to replace" things.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy, I'm certain everyone felt very well taken care of by you!

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Here's the method I am using favor my upcoming trip.

1. Throw contents of house in the car
    2. Be sure you have a credit card to buy anything else
    3. Cross your fingers, hope the best and pull out of the driveway.

I might use a different method if the trip involved flying.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dedtired....yikes!

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I am going to be gone for six days and I am taking 27 shirts. No lie.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do we need to stage an intervention?

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Hey Claire, Let's go help Pam pack!

Question--Has the relatively new airline baggage fees affected the way you pack?

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Claire: yes we have used the duct tape - once to fix a torn suitcase, another time to hold together curtains with a light leak, another time to affix something to a wall (clothesline). Not often, which is why we don't take a whole roll.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jessy, that's good to know. I'll roll some duct tape this very afternoon and stick it into my bag, so I don't have to remember to. (I love that you roll it onto a Sharpie.) It's good to know you never need much!

Yes, Cathy, I think we should help Pam pack. I daresay she would be bored with my travel wardrobe! Let's see...if I dropped food on myself at every meal (my biggest recurring problem), I still don't think I would use that many shirts! (Obviously, this is about options, isn't it?)

Question--Has the relatively new airline baggage fees affected the way you pack?

I typically don't fly much as most of my travels are road trips. That allows me to bring too much as there's room to add it to the pile, which usually has to come into the room each night. (Currently, we travel with our golden retriever who has a fold-down tent; along with 8 gallons of RO water for all of us. That won't apply for much longer when our dog is no longer with us, but is what I'm used to. The road trips require plenty of books on tape, a cooler, etc., so you see where I'm going!) I'm certain my new ''system'' will work very well for flying however, as there's really not much to it. (I did think about airline restrictions when I downsized, because I plan on that changing in my future.) Not only would I love to be one of those people that others are amazed by my lack of luggage, I can't physically haul much around on my own any more. Certain contingencies are good to be prepared for, but they can't require much real estate!

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. Intervention needed! I just arrived at my destination and unloaded my car. I think I will take the vow of "light-packing" after this. Too much carp to haul into the cottage.

Part of the reason I brought so much is that i'm not sure how the weather will be. It has suddenly turned chilly, but days may be warm.

I still managed to forget my fleece, my pillow and one pillowcase.

I think I will create a check list for future trips. This is nuts. I also brought an entire library full of books.

This is the first road trip I took using my GPS and I'll never go anywhere without it again.

I am TRULY Dedtired at the moment.

Pam

Oh -- the last time I flew I paid for one bag. If I am flying I am much more selective about what I bring. Still, unless I'm only going somewhere for a weekend, I could never get by with just a carry-on and a tote.

• dlundin
    14 years ago

One word on the books, Pam... Kindle.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pam, this a perfect opportunity to make a list of everything you actually use. (A checklist is ideal so you never have to think about it again. It's so nice to have your decisions already made.) I completely agree about the GPS; they are so nice to have when you're on the road.

Diana's also right about the Kindle. I just got dh one for his birthday, and although I haven't used it myself, I can see it's going to be ideal for traveling. (Paired with his Lightwedge, he can even read in the dark.) He's lovin' it, and this from a guy who just a few short months ago said in a conversation with a friend, that he liked reading real books. I can see I'm going to have to get my own.

Have a lovely holiday, and get plenty of rest!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Well, now we'll see. Elery and I are taking a trip to Toronto, we're going to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the museum and visit Sharon and Clive. We'll drive to Windsor and take the train, so we have to haul our own bags. We're leaving Friday and coming home Sunday so I figure one pair of jeans and a shirt for Sunday, one nicer set of clothing for Saturday/Saturday evening, and whatever I wear on the train. Two pairs of shoes and underwear. I'll check the weather before we go to see if I need to even take a jacket.

Elery and I use the same shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste, so I'll pack deodorant, hairspray, hot rollers, some blush/mascara/eyeliner/lipstick and I'll be ready to go. Maybe a swimsuit, if the hotel has a hot tub or pool. I'll bet we can get all our stuff into one small suitcase if I unpack half of the stuff Elery will want to take along which he'll never use.....

Pam, if I travel by vehicle, I take more, just because "I have room". It's a bad habit of mine.

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, that sounds like a fun trip. It sounds like you have it all under control. I'm sure the four of you will have a blast; I'll be wishing I was there too. I am ready to go somewhere!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Hey, Claire, it's not until next weekend, hop a plane and come on along!

Pack light, LOL.

Annie

• jessyf
    14 years ago

A weekend with Elery...definitely take the duct tape.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jessy! What do Elery and duct tape have in common?!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Nah, remember he was an electrician before he became "management material". We've got that black electrical tape!

Annie

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Train trip! That sounds like fun Annie.

Jessica's "light leak" reminded me of my new "always packed" item. I am obsessive (imagine that) about light leaks and have a routine of addressing as many as I can so I can sleep better. I always pack a couple of binder clips to hold curtains together; put towels at the bottom of the hotel door which is usually a source of light; put a chair against the curtain to hold it against the wall; and other such nonsense. I recently had a !!duh!! moment and now I keep a "sleep mask" packed. It's so much easier and less radical.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Annie, have fun on your trip. I hope you are taking a jacket. I bet it will be chilly, at least in the evenings.

Yes, light leaks are a nuisance, especially when you are on a vacation where you can sleep in. The house where I am staying now has sliding glass doors in the bedroom with curtain panels across them. AFter the first night, I discovered all the light leaks and now arrange the curtains to keep out the light as much as possible.

It's probably a good thing to let some light in or I would sleep until noon.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I love my black electrical tape, and can probably find it more easily than the duct tape, of which I seem to own a lot of .

Cathy, your ''must-have'' of a sleeping mask, reminds me of my ''must-have'', which is a pair of earplugs. When snoring happens, I am prepared! (I've used them more than I actually care to, but they do work. At least they don't take up any room!)

Jessy, I rolled my duct tape onto a clip-pen of hand sanitizer spray for my bag. (A Dollar Store item...I love the Dollar Store!) Thanks for the hot tip.

Something else I opt for is a Dollar Store rain poncho instead of toting an umbrella. I figure my odds of keeping me or my bags dry are better with the poncho; cheaper, smaller and lighter too!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I seldom get cold, I can sleep through the nightly train that runs through town at 2 am two blocks away and the light doesn't bother me either. I'm short, so the bed is always long enough, but my big travel issue is the bed. I swear that every time I book a motel they quickly arrange to send the same lousy hard bed. I doubt that I can pack a mattress, LOL.

Of course, I still sleep on my old king sized waterbed, leftover from my "hippie" days. Elery says when I grow up, I'll get a big girl bed, LOL. I hope not.

Clare, on another level, I wat taking some glass to recycle last week and there was a broken picture frame in the bag. Of course, the shard stuck through the bag and into the outside of my left knee. Not one bandaid or other thing in the Jeep except black electrical tape. So, I pulled both edges of the puncture together and taped it with black electrical tape and then drove to the Emergency Room. They know me on a first name basis, LOL, and now they'll talk about that black electrical tape forever. Two stitches later that electrical tape stayed on better than their surgical tape! Carol (dishesdone) tells me that's an "electrician's bandaid".

Annie

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

Lars, I have a pool and I think I only have 4 bathing suits!!! :)

I'd love to pack light and can but DH Joe is 6'7" tall and weighs about 250 with size 14 shoes. Along with his personal stuff and little things, he can fit one pair of shoes, maybe two pair of jeans, a fleece and couple of shirts in a carry on. That's about it. Forget a sport coat. Or heaven forbid TWO pair of shoes.

So unfortunately, if we're gone for more than about three days we've got to check a bag when we fly. Then sometimes we have EXTRA room and his clothes are sloshing around in the checked bag.... He's been know to ask me to throw more stuff in to fill it up!

Until I had four sons who also grew to be big and tall, I never thought about the sheer size of clothes! When they were little guys, I could fit scads of their little OshKosh jeans in one load, now I think about 4-5 pair of their jeans is a whole load!

Grace

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grace, That's very true about the sizes of clothes, which not only take more space, but weigh more too.

Annie, I have new respect for the stuff. It is sticky! (I'm glad to hear you're okay and got that attended to. You're a part of your community in ways you never expected!)