SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Updating my PC: figuring out which upgrades and how to do them

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

Bit by bit, I'm getting braver about dealing with my computer. And now that I'm starting to store some video there as well as music and photographs, my hard drive space is filling up. So it's time to make some upgrades, but I don't know how to find out what my computer can handle - and the most reliable source for how-to instructions. I think what I want to do it fairly easy.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 - bought in January, 2008. XP, quad core, 3 GB Ram, 500GB hard drive. There is no firewire port but there is a front slot where it can be added. When I made this purchase, I had no concept what I'd use or need a firewire port for. Now I know that with a firewire port, I can transfer 10 years of camcorder home videos (currently on mini-DV) from my camcorder straight to my computer - via firewire. Do I get just any pci card with firewire port? (I'm not even sure that's the right term for what I need.)

I'd like to add a second internal hard drive. I was all set to order one of the highly rated WD 1TB drives - when it occurred to me that my computer might not be able to handle that. How do I find out what capacity hard drive it can handle for a second drive? Other than getting the right size - will any brand do and I should just go for a highly rated, reliable drive? Where can I find instructions for adding it myself?

I also want to add a plug in external hard drive. I bought a 640GB Western Digital My Book external drive at Costco last winter - bc. it seemed a good idea to back up my files - and I thought the price was good (I think it was around $100 - which was probably okay but nothing astounding). It only has USB port (bc. back then I didn't know that esata was faster). Is this drive a decent one for backing up files (all sorts - documents, photos,music and video?).

That brings me to the last part. I'm going to be upgrading the hard drive on my Tivo - so I'll have to remove the original and connect it (and the new drive) to the sata ports in my computer - to copy the original drive onto the new drive. I can recite that back, but it doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. I have never opened up my computer. I'm assuming I can find pictures of it and figure it out (I do have great, detailed written instructions but they are skimpy on the pictures). For this task I will open up my computer and perform it. But all this has gotten me looking at how inexpensive 1TB drives are now - and how much more convenient to archive video on external bare hard drives - and buy a sort of dock where you can put the bare drive - hook it up to a sata port - and quickly transfer tons of data. I don't know whether I will get to this or not. But if I decide it's a way to go, is it simple enough to retrofit an esata port (so I don't have to open up the computer to do this). I know I'm a little ahead of myself here - but I dream of being able to organize and manage all my digital data.

I think a slightly more realistic possibility is that the price for external large capacity (1TB) hard drives will keep dropping and I may just want to buy external retail drives - but would probably still prefer the faster transfer of esata cable. So I still might want an external esata port. One RadioShack employee I spoke to (who seemed to have some computer knowledge) said it was possible to retrofit - but I thought I'd seen reviews online that suggested that this was a limitation of these Dell 530's (maybe it was a limitation that they didnt' come with them - or maybe that they couldn't be upgraded later).

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (12)