SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

New info on .NET upates and ones to come

In the paid version of windows secrets newletter there was a very good article by Susan Bradley concerning the troublesome .NET updates that have been sent out through windows updates and also info about the new upcoming version 4 .NET. Here is that article.

"The .NET updates get worse, not better

By Susan Bradley

While many of you are still digging out from June patches, there's more .NET updates in your future.

I'm about to yell "uncle!" when it comes to .NET, and I'm sure many of you are as well. Microsoft is releasing updates for .NET 3.5 at the same time it's bringing out version 4.0.

Are you ready for .NET 4? I'm certainly not!

I just about groaned when I saw Microsoft's preview listing of this week's updates more .NET patches. I'm still not done with the June 8 .NET releases, and here comes .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile for XP, Vista, and Win7 (detailed in Microsoft support article 982670).

But wait! There's more! In addition to .NET 4.0, Microsoft is releasing three rollup updates for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1: KB 982524 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, KB 982525 for Vista and Server 2008, and KB 982526 for Win7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

And for only $19.95 plus shipping, Microsoft will add a bonus patch, KB 956250, that also fixes .NET 3.5 SP1 problems on Windows Vista and Server 2008 platforms. Okay, I was just kidding about the $19.95. But I am still a bit unclear as to what KB 982525 and KB 956250 actually do fix.

⺠What to do: Seriously, like those late-night sales pitches most of us ignore, just pass on these offers until I tell you they are needed. None of these updates patches security risks, and they could impact business applications. For example, there are reports that some installtions of Sage Timberline, an accounting application for the Construction Industry, are affected.

Another solution for reinstalling .NET

If you're still having the .NET reoffering problem but are not comfortable using the somewhat intimidating .NET removal tool (info page)

I've mentioned in earlier columns, there's another method to try  courtesy of my fellow MVP Andy Goodman.

⺠What to do: In a Redmondmag.com IT forum post

, he states that he's had luck using these steps:

Download KB 974417 manually and extract the patch to a local folder; then, manually install the update from that folder."

Also from her article is info on the end date of support for firefox 3.5

"Firefox 3.5 gets two more months of life

For those still running Firefox 3.5, the June 22 version 3.5.10 update fixes nine vulnerabilities. Firefox 3.5 will continue to receive security updates for two more months; after that, you'll need to move to version 3.6.

Firefox 3.6 users will also see an update to version 3.6.4. This update runs Adobe Flash and Apple's QuickTime plug-ins in a separate process, which should keep the browser up and running if these plug-ins crash.

⺠What to do: Install the Firefox updates offered by Mozilla as soon as possible."

The .NET updates get worse, not better

Comments (6)