SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

How to tell if a download is safe? & related internet safety ?

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

I know I've seen this before, but now I'm drawing a blank. I was just given a Minolta Dimage scanner (AF 2840) - for free by a neighbor leaving town. She did not have the manual or power cord. While this is an older model, I think it's worth buying the power cord (about $35 with shipping on ebay). In searching around, I found a place to download the manual - from a place called retrevo.com. I wanted to use my McAfee SiteAdvisor - but it said the site didn't provide identification. Not sure if that's something to stay away from. I did go and download the manual and saved it. I haven't opened the pdf yet. Is there a way to test if it's safe before I open it? Am I already in trouble?

I guess I'm not sure how to use McAfee SiteAdvisor and would welcome any explanation - along with the appropriate tool for checking downloads - and the right procedure for testing safety on something like this. I wasn't sure if there was a way to test it before downloading. I am dimly recalling some firefox extension that could open it online - perhaps that means it doesn't actually get on my computer.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (12)