SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

New computer was fine but now cannot connect to internet..

polarprincess
14 years ago

my new laptop (windows 7) has been working just fine, and now tonight it will not connect to the internet. It is not the modem or connection because i am able to connect from it on my older computer just fine. I do not have a router hooked up so it has nothing to do with that either. I tried to do the diagnostics and it just says something on the order of the DNS server cannot be reached. I did the CMD config thing and it says media disconnected. I called dell and they seem to think that someone may have shut it down using the power button, and i did try to shut it down that way one day because it had given me the option to set the power button to do what i wanted it to, and i set it to shut it down, so maybe i screwed up there, but if that was bad, why did it give me the option? anyway, that was a few days ago and after i started it back up it said that windows had not been shut down properly blah blah blah, and since i have shut it down the normal way and it has been fine until tonight.

Dell wants to do a reset of the operating system and put it back to factory condition and that seems awful drastic to me, or is that not a big deal? can't i just do a system restore or something? the only date it will give me for a system restore however is a date a critical windows update was installed. Does this mean anything?

The only thing i did unusual yesterday was to accept the mcaffee subscription. It came automatically on the computer and said it was all active, but then i kept getting emails to activate my subscription so i did. And the day before i think my internet provider upped my speed, because i had called complaining how slow my internet speed was compared to what i was paying for, and my download speed doubled, so not sure if either of those have to do with anything.

Could i have a virus or malware or something already? i haven't figured out how to understand the mcaffee virus stuff yet, and i can't download any malware stuff to scan since i can't get online.

any advice? dell is supposed to call me back tomorrow. thanks

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living