SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
urlee

Adobe Flash Player

urlee
15 years ago

Either I am awfully stupid or not fully functional this early in the morning but------

when I booted up this morning, a notice popped up on my screen about an update to Adobe Flash Player.

My question is???? Where do I go to find what version I have now? I know about the help & about but where is Adobe Flash Player?

Comments (10)

• owbist
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Use the link below Urlee

You might notice there is a version for Internet Explorer and another for non IE on the download page

Here is a link that might be useful: What is my Flash version?

• urlee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK you owbist,

It showed the version I have as being 9.0.115.0

I shall update it.

• Related Discussions

Adobe flash player

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe the link below will help. Terry Here is a link that might be useful: Flash Player : 64-bit operating systems
    ...See More

Adobe Flash Player 11 Help

Q

Comments (2)
    You can try completely uninstalling Adobe Flash ... Followed by restarting your computer. Download the full installer and install it. Adobe Flash Uninstaller tool; http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe Adobe Flash download for Mozilla browsers; http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player.exe Adobe Flash download for Internet Exporer browser and some IntantMessengers too (active x); http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_ax.exe At least then you can know you have Flash installed correctly. A script on this page is behaving poorly .. doesn't necessarily mean adobe flash is causing the problem. Windows has built in scripting. - And - You have a popup blocker and advertising blockers that block some scripting and that is usually the cause of that type of message - combined with poorly written page code to avoid causing that problem with adv & popup blockers. Another words its a website problem usually.
    ...See More

Adobe Flash Player

Q

Comments (3)
    Any help here--> https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/108086?hl=en or try reseting the Chrome browser, Reset your Chrome browser settings 1.In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu 2.Select Settings. 3.At the bottom, click Show advanced settings. 4.Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings. 5.In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
    ...See More

adobe flash player

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, that's a loaded question. Do you need Flash? It's basically built into many browsers now (Microsoft Edge, Chrome and derivatives) so you don't need to "get it". For Firefox and IE, you still need to download separately, but make sure you're actually using sites that need it. It's probably the most common way to get a virus browsing the web today and is a major pain to keep installing updates (sometimes daily) and restarting your browser to get the new version. If you don't need it, it's pretty simple to not install it. If you do need it, or it's part of the browser you're using, you should consider getting a flash blocker extension so you can only enable the actual flash content you want - much safer.
    ...See More
  • lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

My daughter's computer keeps prompting her to update (or download) adobe flash player. She's 9yo and just trying to play webkinz. I have told her not to hit "No" for those things that pop up. But now I wonder - should she be updating? She sometimes has the webkinz screen freeze (there's animation on it) and it's very frustrating for her. Being a computer dummy myself, I assumed it was a problem with Webkinz' servers - is it possible that she needs the updated flash player and that will help?

Her computer is 6 years old and runs windows xp (sp2)- has 20 or 40 GB hard drive, I believe it has 768mb ram and a pentium IV processor? I'm not sure how to even check what the specs are. I always worry about updating software that may exceed the capacity of the computer's memory or processor speed. Does that make sense?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• owbist
    15 years ago

Lynn your computer is getting old so you need to decide if you will spend a small amount of money on it or move to a new computer. I say that because possibly your problem is insufficient RAM. Any memory bought for this computer cannot be used on today's computers.

When was the last time the case was opened and the dust bunnies cleaned out?
    Do you do disk cleanup and defrag?
    What firewall are you using? Windows is only a one way firewall and does not stop phone home spies from sending out info and using your resources
    How long since you ran any anti malware programs to remove the phone home spies?

How many programs are running in the background?
    To check click Start/Run and type msconfig, click OK. In the new window click the 'Startup' tab in the top right corner. All these use resources and some are not needed, but many are vital.

Regarding the Flash, yes I would update. Animation is moving forward all the time so it is nice to keep abreast of these things if possible to gain the full benefits.

That'll do for now. Based on your response others or myself can offer more specific and detailed suggestions.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Hi, Owbist. I don't think dust bunnies have been cleaned out for a year (and maybe not even then). My computer repair guy added 512 mb ram then (it had been only 256) - and I think he would have cleaned out the dust bunnies, but I'm not certain. So I can try that. I think he put in the maximum memory my desktop could hold.

I have no idea what firewall I'm using or how to even tell. I know her computer is conected to my linksys router (her connection is wired). I had some vague notion that it included a firewall that served both our computers. But, honestly, "firewall" is one of those terms that scares me bc. I know I should know more about it and make sure I have adequate protection, but I'm not (kind of like some people think of retirement funds- you know it's important but may stick your head in the sand).

Last night after I wrote the above post, I did download, update and run superantispyware - which found 167 items, which I then removed. I haven't gotten on to her computer since. (Well, I tried and wanted to remove old, unnecessary software - for a printer we no longer have - but it kind of stopped and froze midstream.)

I confess that I do disk cleanup and defrag on my computer, but have forgotten to do hers since I passed it down to her in January. I will do that now.

Now, I did the msconfig to see what start up programs are running. Here's the list, but I have no idea what some of them are and if some can be removed:

m35rchmn c:?progra 1\myw
    cnslmain (canon software - a new printer I bought and it's networked)
    bjmyprt (canon)
    ssbkgdupdate /(com...)
    opwarese4 (programfiles/sca...)
    WrtMon (windows/system)
    CNMNSUT (CANON)
    mcmnhdlr (mcafee)
    mcvsshld (mcafee)
    realschedul (program files\Com...)
    jusschedul (program files\java)
    usrprompt (Program files\Com..)
    qttask (program files\quicken) - when I used quicken on this
    picasamediadetector (program files\picasa
    motiveSB (program 1\Veriz
    WkUFind (program files\Com
    McUpdate (program files\mcafe
    mcagent (program \mcafee
    KHALMNPR (KHALMNPR.EXE)
    KHALMNPR (KHALMNPR.EXE)
    ituneshelper (program files/Itune
    isfxtray (windows\system
    hkcmd (windows\system
    aolsoftware (programfiles\com
    aoldial (program \files/com - (Note - we don't do dial up_
    d/urect/cd (program files\Foxi
    verizon 1 (program 1?Verizon)
    ctfmon (windows\system
    ypager (program files?yahoo
    google toolbarnotifier (program files\goog
    msmsgs (program files\Mes
    money express (program files/micro
    AOL (program files/AOL
    superantispywre
    logitech setpoint
    microsoft works ca.. (program 1\COMM common startup
    personal coach (program 1\brod) common start up

Most of the above don't make sense to me. I will say that we currently have DSL through verizon (we may change that later) - and we have AOL. Yahoo might have gotten on her computer when I registered for some yahoo groups when it was my computer. She has a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

I will now do disk cleanup and defrag.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

In the process of cleaning her hard drive, I found her specs. I know they're not good - but she's nine.

Dell dimensions 4500s
    Windows XP SP2
    1.79 Ghz
    765 MB RAM
    16.1 GB free hard drive space
    screen resolutioins - 1024 x 768
    IE 7.0

Thanks everyone.
    Oh - I am still looking for how to defrag the hard drive.

Lynn.

• owbist
    15 years ago

OK so your 786 megs of memory is sufficient, I was getting carried away there I suppose.

Dust. If you have a star headed screwdriver you can remove the 2 or 3 screws holding the cover onto the case. Remove the cover and have a look inside - having shut down of course. The fan sitting on the motherboard is of greatest concern as it cools the CPU (or processor). A can of compressed air can be used to clean out or a pure bristle paint brush and some blowing, I use the latter method. If you use compressed air be sure to place a finger on the fan so it does not spin wildly keeping your bare wrist on the metal of the case to dissipate any static electricity from your body.

Firewall. Click Start/Control panel/Security Centre and a new window appears. Click the 2 small down pointing chevrons on the Firewall box and it should tell you which firewall is active. There is a hard wired firewall built into the router also.

Superantispyware is great. Update and run that every week or so depending on your comfort or panic level. I find a couple of weeks between scans works for me but I do not 'wander' into doubtful sites intentionally. If I have been to free clipart or gif sites then I like to scan immediately after because piggybacking unwanted software onto your computer is part of their funding structure.

Disk cleanup. If you want something a little more robust try the link below. This is Ccleaner, formerly Crap Cleaner till they found success and wanted respect. The slim version does not piggyback the Yahoo toolbar.

msconfig. Ah, the challenge. This program lists all the startup entries and can be intimidating. Read the red stuff and when comfortable click where it says "If you are a regular visitor, click HERE to go straight to the list..." just below the red type.

I see 13 that would be stopped without checking the list but it is important you do the selecting. Some are obviously not needed at startup but these programmers feel their stuff is vital. AOL, Googletoolbar, MS Works, Canon, money express, personal coach.

On completing this task you will be prompted to reboot. During the reboot a warning of dire consequences will appear, do not let it scare you. Read it carefully, place a check mark in the box so this popup does not appear at every starting of the computer and click to proceed. I forget the exact messages but once you overcome the fear of the notice it is plain enough.

How are we doing?

Ah, a new post while I was writing.

Defrag. Click Start/All programs/Accessories/System tools/Disk defragmenter

Here is a link that might be useful: Ccleaner, slim - no Yahoo toolbar attached

• lynnalexandra
    15 years ago

Owbist - you are so helpful. Thank you. I'm glad to hear I don't need a new computer yet. Turns out that my computer guy didn't get absolutely everything off her computer and on to my new one. The couple of times I've searched for things that weren't on my new computer, I sure was glad we still had hers so I could retrieve it.

I found the defrag and started it - but it seemed to go nowhere (after minutes) - and the picture of how the drive would look after defrag didn't look any different than before. There was only the tiniest sliver in red (which I think is the part that can be defragged?).

The misconfig challenge will have to wait until tomorrow. My husband is actually throwing me a birthday party tonight in our home - and I should be preparing instead of being on the computer. (Shame on me - but nobody here will tell him, right?)

I'll be back tomorrow to see what I can accomplish.

Thanks so much.
    Lynn.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

all excellent advice! if you do not know if you have the latest updates for your specific apps on the pc this is a great free tool by secunia, it will scan your pc and then tell you what is ok and what needs updating and tell you where to get it. It is called PSI personal software inspector. One of the main reasons some of those apps put out the updates is they find security holes in them so yes it is always a good idea to keep those updated.

also since you seem to forget about that pc make sure it is getting the windows updates it needs too.

And I put spywareblaster on every pc, it sits there quietly and stops many of the baddies from ever getting on our pc. you do have to remember to hit the update button on it weekly then hit the enable all protection so the shield turns green but it only takes minutes to do and she can actually do that one herself easily, it would be a good one to have her start to learn on that she does have to do scheduled tasks, you can find it here.
    Spywareblaster

Here is a link that might be useful: PSI

• zep516
    15 years ago

**realschedul (program files\Com...)** Up dates for Real player, if you do not use real player I would uninstall it through the add/remove programs.

**jusschedul (program files\java) Here is another update process this one for java, I have yet to see this work and it appears everytime java is updated.

Also remember about msconfig it is always wise to go to the program first to see if you can shut it down from the actuall program - settings\options\preferences\ then go to msconfig if there is no option in the program you are stopping.