SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

new ebook reader available soon does much more

new Android-based e-reader

it is color, has wifi compatibility so you can surf and do email etc, and is priced at under $200. It is being backed by Barnes and Noble so will have full access to their libraries.

I love that it runs on a linux OS. this one looks very promising.

Pandigital Novel

supposed to be out in a month.

combo video/web/email/music/e-reader tablet with a 7-inch, 800-by-600, color TFT LCD touchscreen display. also picture viewer.

Built-in storage is a measly 1GB, but there's a SD/MMC slot that will accept cards of up to 32GB. The whole shebang weighs one pound (0.45kg), and Pandigital claims that battery life is up to six hours when reading.

this is very interesting!

it can take advantage of Barnes & Noble's LendMe technology, which lets people borrow e-books from each other for up to 14 days.

Pandigital, B&N partner on $200 color e-reader

with video clip

Comments (150)

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I just got an email that my BB&B rebate has been received and is ready for final processing. Looks like it takes about 2 weeks. Look for yours! :)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My journal cover project. Here are my pictures step by step, I got the Mead Leather Journal at Walmart for around $12, the size of it listed on the info sheet is 6 1/8 x 8 5/8 in. The item number on it is #88183 Mead Lined Journal 192 pages.

I cut out the bound in pages on either side from the inside to remove the pages and leave just the leather cover, using a very sharp exacto knife works best, mine was not real sharp and did not do a very good job.

I then took measurements to determine where to place the velcro strips on to the inside back of the cover, I did not want the top velcro on the PDN to cover the separation line where the back opens so I had to trim the velcro a little on the one that went at the top on the PDN. I basically just centered my PDN on the back cover of the journal.
    I used Industrial Strength Velcro size 4 x 2 in white strips.(found at walmart in the sewing and craft section you can also use the 3m brand for hanging pictures)
    Once the velcro was on both items I mounted the PDN to the cover. (IMPORTANT you want the soft fuzzy velcro on the PDN back so if you ever take it out and hold it you won't have that scratcy part on it)
    It holds very well, seems quite secure.
    I also got some elastic bands of various colors so I could put one around it to help keep it closed. Those are from Kroger, Goody Ouchless Gentle Headbands, any type of those little elastic headbands would work.
    I plan on also putting a little hole in the spine so it can be charged while in the case and also with some of the matching paper which I removed I will cut out a strip and glue it in the center spine area to cover the cut out section and make it look nicer, not show those cut edges. But for now it works beautifully and looks very nice.
    One thing I had not accounted for was the extra thickness of the 2 layers of velcro so it makes it thicker over all. Had I thought of that I probably would have gone with the Mead Deluxe Pink Journal in Italian leatherette, I thought it was too thick looking at it at the store but now I think it would also work well. So there are a couple of options to covers that you can do very easily and inexpensively.
    Pics are in thumbnail just click them to view full size.

{{gwi:1473174}}
    {{gwi:1473175}}
    {{gwi:1473176}}
    {{gwi:1473177}}
    {{gwi:1473178}}
    {{gwi:1473179}}

• Related Discussions

Does any one have a Free Sansevieria Ebook?

Q

Comments (16)
    I just downloaded the book so is does work, It is very slow downloading and it's not your pc, it is the link that we are getting it from. I needed a clean copy. The link is being forwarded from France, and that is why it takes so long, make sure you have at least 75 clean pages for it to use. Make sure that it is fully downloaded before tring to print it off. Make sure you have enough ink. Don't run out of paper in the middle. They come out clean and sharp black and white, she did not use color. If you know how to use the printer there should be no problems. I broke my printer trying to download I douldn't load my printer. Norma
    ...See More

Readers

Q

Comments (15)
    ok this is what I have determined so far, there are a lot of us trying to figure out how to get and use these books on our readers LOL It may not be possible because this site is changing them to a .umf file format not epub, therefore it would take a .umf converter to change them to epub or a umf reader which is what that media manager thing is. I tried searching for a .umf converter and nothing is coming up that looks trustworthy. I had hoped that it was one of the formats that calibre would use but it is not. so at this point I think we may have to just stick to reading them online free which is better than nothing. I do not like the media manager program since it did trigger a response from your AV and I know nothing about that program so I think it best not to be messing with it. Also when I was doing a google search for umf converter, of course I was doing this with linux, I did end up on one of those sites that tries to install one of the nasty rogue programs so if you try doing that kind of search be really careful. It did nothing to me on linux but had I been on windows that may have been dangerous. Don't forget that anytime you download anything file or program before you open it right click on it and scan it with your AV and malwarebytes just to be sure they are clean. I did run into several other PDN owners asking this same question on some of the android forums and no one had an answer there either.
    ...See More

Looking for an e-reader: Does anyone have the April PC World?

Q

Comments (6)
    yes I saw the bad reviews on the Opus and the fact they do not put out the new firmware they keep promising, not good. Mobi is a format that has been around a long time and it is one that a lot of people have books in, it is also one of the formats that convert from the amazon kindle to be able to use them on phones. Just surprised that many do not have the mobi format. The EZ reader pocket pro does not have mobi but it does have a LOT of formats which is good. I also saw one that will be coming out this summer in the US, is not out in Canada that might be worth looking at. Kobo eReader price point is cheaper. this comparison chart is pretty informative and covers a lot of brands. E-book Reader Matrix I just really so much like the fact that with the kindle you can wirelessly connect and get books instantly where ever you are and their top listed books are all just $9.99 that can really add up in savings right there when on other sites the books are pretty much full price. My sister and brother in law have them and love them and I liked using theirs, just not ready to pay the price. about mobipocket Mobipocket.com
    ...See More

New here...and e-books

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh, goodness, no. I often find myself 'meandering' in my thoughts - it's nice to meet others like that. I wonder if it's a by-product of being deeply in to words.... It's like 'knackered' - a good old English expression, that is one of the ones that doesn't translate well now that I live in Canada. Comes from when old horses were sent to the knackers yard to be made in to glue - for those who were bemused. :) I have to confess I ordered four 'real' books today - only because they're not available on e-book. :) Question - does anyone else feel driven insane by people's terrible use of the English language? I'm constantly stunned by the way people don't check spelling, and post barely literate messages on forums. I mean, how are they not embarrassed? And on pet peeves - see, I said I'd go off on tangents with you - those who use double negatives. I actually heard a politician on TV say irregardless the other day. Ok - I'm climbing down off my soapbox now. :) Thanks for making me feel so welcome! Heading off to start the new Dan Brown, now.
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is a guy over on slatdroid who had his wife make some custom cases, very very nice work, this is her flickr photos, she is offering to make them for people. He has a thread over on the PDN area on slatedroid about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN custom made covers

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noticed from slatdroid that Pandigital has now pulled the 7-24 firmware from it's site and now has the 7-18 as the latest version available again.

The black PDN is now out, Nate the Great is going to do a review of it, is showing it over on slatedroid, it is quite different in some of the input slots and buttons has a different cradle too, and he says the hack does not work on the black version, says the white one seems to be the better tablet.

• mare_wbpa
    13 years ago

RC, was wondering if you missed my question a couple of posts back about downloading books to the SD card while it's in the PDN. Thanks for the info on the covers. Thay're nice.

pfmastin, I deleted the preloaded pics and now those on the SD card come up no problem. Thanks

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oh sorry I did miss your question, as far as I know you have to download from the pc to the external SD card then use it in the PDN. You can download directly to the PDN from online but it will go to the 1gig internal mini sd card. Downloading directly from the B&N bookstore on the PDN will put them on the 1gig internal card also.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Walgreens now has PDN listed on their website for $149.00 and $4.99 shipping. Over on slatedroid many people have taken a copy of the ad to BBB for a price match and got it, then they also used their 20% off coupon plus the rebate which is still in effect. Excellent price.
    pandigital novel

I just got another 20% off coupon from BBB a week ago.

I went to costco over the weekend and asked if they had any ebook readers at all including PDN and was told no none in store.

Kohl's also again has the PDN but at a higher price, and so far they have not agreed to price match the walgreens ad.

• mare_wbpa
    13 years ago

Thanks RC, that's what I did, downloaded to the SD card then inserted it into the PDN, worked fine, just thought I would be able to download to the SD while it's in the PDN. I did try to look it up in the manual but it didn't mention it. Have you tried to delete bookmarked websites from the dropdown list? I have looked thru the manual and can't seem to find instructions for that function.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

Great job on the journal cover! And those custom covers are really good looking.

RC, This might be a silly question.....do you think I should go back and get the 07/18 firmware "down"date and get rid of the 07/24? Or just keep what I have and not worry about it?

Oh wow, I'll say that's an excellent price at Walgreens. All these little tablets are going to be $49.95 before we know it. :)

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

RC--you inspired me to get a cover, but I got a slightly different one. I got one called a padfolio that has some interior pockets. It's 5x8 inches. It had a pad of paper in it that slipped out.

The WalMart I went to had some Ultra Thin Velcro fasteners, which I thought might work better. I don't trust my measuring skills, so I put the "fluffy" piece on the back of the reader (thanks for the warning), then put the sticky piece on that (hold it by the edges or it'll stick to your fingers). I put one in each corner, then stuck it to the padfolio. I placed it a little low so that the pocket for the pad is still available.

I can run the power cord along the inside and don't see a real need to make a hole for it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

you know I have not even tried to delete any of the bookmarks not in the browser or the books, will try to remember to check that out.

Good work bpgreen I think I saw the one you got is it a microfiber fabric? I had measured mine carefully before going shopping and was afraid that anything under 6 x 8 would be too small.
    I too can run the power cord inside the spine so will not need to poke a hole.

Putting the velcro on like that is probably a much better way to do it, my hands just can not be trusted these days and I was afraid I would get it on the PDN then drop it in the wrong place and be all wonky LOL

Pam is the 7-24 firmware breaking stuff on your PDN? if not you could just keep it, for many it was causing various problems so they pulled it. If you find problems you can go back at any time.

Many of the PDN owners on slatedroid are noticing cracks appearing in the white plastic around the edges. I checked mine very carefully and saw what might be one tiny crack but not positive it is a crack. So you might want to keep an eye out for cracking. Keeping it in a case or silicon sleeve would help reduce the risks I would think.

The gal making those covers said her price is $30 for the portfolio type plus shipping, I think the sleeve type was $20 and she put up more fabric options on that same flickr page.

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

I accidentally added some bookmarks (pressed the star, thinking it would bring up the bookmark menu and added bookmarks instead). I haven't found a way to delete them yet, but haven't looked too hard, either. I'm going to guess that the bookmarks are either html files or entries in a text/html file somewhere, so it's a matter of plugging it into the PC and digging around a bit.

I saw the fabric ones, but got a leather (probably fake, but feels real) one. After I used it a few times, I realized that there's a small loop designed to hold a pencil. I cut that open, added some velcro and now have a clasp.

I read a lot of complaints about the 7/24 firmware, but most of what I read seemed to indicate that it only caused problems for people with hacks applied. Of course, that's probably the majority on slatedroid.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well I looked but did not see a way to remove the bookmarks in any easy way, I am sure there is a way but not just a button to push or something like that.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

By the way I had found this very neat BodyGlove case which someone mentioned on slatedroid, which we were not sure would fit the PDN, so I emailed bodyglove about it asking if they knew if it would fit, and if so there would be a lot of happy PDN owners because we were looking for a nice case of that type. Well amazingly they emailed me right back and told me they wanted to send me one free so I could check it out and see if mine fit in it and then they could add that to the ad info on that case!! I was amazed! Told them I would be delighted and would even take pics for them it if worked out.
    E-Reader Travel Case
    that is the case, I really like that it has a big enough storage compartment to put the cables for it should you need to.
    So I will be reporting back when I get it! I sure do hope it fits, well, like a glove LOL
    I had emailed with case crown after the pink case I got did not fit, to see if they were considering manufacturing one for the PDN, after I gave them all the specs and info on the PDN they found that several of their sleeve type cases did fit it so they are now advertising them as for the PDN.
    However no word on if they will be making the portfolio type any time soon. My friend that I gave that fuschia case I ordered loves it for her Kindle2 so that worked out well.

• mare_wbpa
    13 years ago

RC, I'm so happy for you that you are getting that nice case free. It really helps to ask.I sure hope it fits, it's so versatile. This thread just keeps going, I thought it had fizzled out yesterday but it started up again. I don't ever remember a thread this long on this forum. The longer I have my PDN the more I like it. I put some pics on it and they look great. Haven't tried music yet. I read that you can listen to music while you read. I'm sure there are features that I don't know about yet.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes I have the little ear bud type plug in speakers and the sound is awesome, I was surprised it was as good as it was right from the PDN speakers, much better sound than my Acer netbook has. Big Lots has some very nice ear buds and various type for very good prices, I paid around $6 for mine.

I saw an ad on tv yesterday that Kindle had a new model coming out in black and they said the price was I think $139 or something like that for the wifi only and $189 for the one with wifi and 3g, looks like the competition is hitting them.
    Graphite - Latest Generation
    however one of the best features of the Kindle is the free 3G aspect to be able to order books while you are anywhere with out worrying about a wifi connection.
    I would still spend the money on the PDN instead.

I did see a new combo unit that is supposed to come out in the near future(may be available in some places) that is basically 2 tablets in one, one has the ebook eink reader on one side and on the other it has the color lcd with pretty much the same stuff the PDN has, but the price was pretty ridiculous.
    enTourage eDGe

• mare_wbpa
    13 years ago

I'm very satisfied with my PDN, so I'm not even looking at what else is out there. It's inevitable that there will always be something right around the corner with more features for less money. The PDN meets or exceeds my needs and I think that the price was reasonable. It would have been nice to take the Walgreen's ad to BB&B to get another $20 off, oh well. My DIL is a tech junkie and I will be seeing her this weekend. I'm anxious to se what she thinks of my PDN. I haven't come up with a name for mine yet. I think that Andi is perfect. I just might have to steal that.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

Hi RC and mare..How nice that they're sending the travel case to see if it fits the PDN! That really is amazing. Let us know when you get it and what you think. I like that it has the pockets for the charge cord. I'm so glad your friend is enjoying the fuschia case. Good solution.

I have to admit that I ordered the next generation Kindle...just the wifi version. It won't be out until the end of this month and they've already said (according to the Kindle forum) that orders that came in after a certain date and time will have to wait for shipment until they get caught up. I'll use both, but I especially love the SD card/photo display feature of the PDN. And I use the reader, too. It has a lot going for it and I'm so glad to have it.

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

After reading about the PDN Novel, I bought one. The only reason I'd get the Kindle would be the 3G access. But I travel with a Verizon netbook, so I can always download something using that and transfer it.

I described it on another forum as being somewhere between the iPad and the Kindle. It's more than the Kindle, but less than the iPad.

I left my good earbuds on a plane not long ago and replaced them with some cheap ones from Big Lots. But they've so far been really good--they're sound isolating and work well at that (as I discovered when I was sitting in the bulkhead seat and the flight attendant kept asking me questions that I couldn't hear).

I finally connected my PDN to my laptop to see if I could find the bookmarks, but I couldn't, so I sent their tech support a question. If I get an answer, I'll post here.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

I like the PDN for its iPad qualities. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the amount for the cost of the iPad. :) The next gen Kindle isn't my first one and I really prefer the non-backlit screen for reading. My older eyes don't get tired so quickly as they do with a regular book or an LCD screen. I am looking forward to using the night feature of the PDN on car trips when it's dark outside.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

the thing I just could not adjust to with the kindle was the flashing of the screen for each page turn, it was nauseating, I would try to keep my eyes closed when turning a page to prevent seeing it. There are certain types of flashings that induce seizures, maybe I have a bit of that type of reaction but not severe enough to produce a seizure.
    Which is what really drew me in with the PDN, no more flashing! I thus far have had no problem with eye strain while reading but I only read in the night mode, I find it much more desirable.

I did notice on the bookmarks area in the reader that there is a button that says delete selected bookmark so that is pretty simple, have not seen anything like that in the bookmarks area of the browser.

I am in agreement I would never spend that kind of money for the ipad, or that edge either. Only reason I did get the PDN was it was such a great price and it has a lot of potential.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have been meaning to mention that when I was at walmart I found the absolute best little cleaner for the PDN, I happened to find them in the electronics area but they have them in various areas. It is a mini chenille microfiber cleaner that slides onto 2-3 fingers, they also come in full hand mit size that are great for using on a plasma tv or a large monitor. The little one is the perfect size for the PDN screen and cleans it spotless. This is what they look like, I could not find a pic of the mini mit.
    {{gwi:1473180}}
    the mit size like in the pic would of course work also. I will be getting another one to keep in here with my computers.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Is there a reset or restore on it to set it to default if you mess it up.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

you just go back and install the latest firmware from the SD card, you really can't hardly mess it up. When you re-do the firmware update it puts everything back as it was or you can revert back to the original firmware that came on it, I have saved all the various firmware files just in case they should be needed. But the one on the pandigital site now is the 7-18 firmware which is a good one. Up in this thread I posted the instructions on how to do a firmware update from the SD card. Holding the power button and the volume up button at the same time is the key hold them till you see the little android icon and the status bar unpacking the update, leave it alone it will reboot when needed. It is essential though that you have if fully powered off not just in sleep when you begin.
    Just shout if you need help.

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN downloads

• vala55
    13 years ago

I have been printing this off. I am having a little trouble concentrating on my latest book, not sure if it is me or if the book is not that exciting. Probably me. I might need something like this before to long.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

RC, what a cute cleaner! I like the idea of the small one. :)

I can certainly understand the problem with the page turning/flashing screen. That wouldn't be much fun...I would imagine it's almost like motion sickness?

I tried turning my contrast way down on the PDN reader and that works much better for me.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Raven I forgot to thank you for replying to my question. thank you very much.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the Body Glove case and it fits beautifully! I started a new thread just for that because I added pictures to it and I know this thread is getting pretty big and did not want to load it down with more pictures so here is that link.
    I LOVE THIS CASE!
    pandigital novel body glove case-fits like a glove

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

They've got a new firmware update. I think they learned their lesson after the 7/24 (7/25?) update that was only there for a day or so. This one has a date of 8/6 in the name, but it only just became available.

I'm applying it now.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I saw that yesterday, the comments I had seen then were that they did not see much change in it, the slatedroid crew was going through it to see just what was changed in the code.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

by the way for those wanting to do that new firmware update it has been noted on slatedroid that if you try to do it through the usb updater it is still giving the old firmware, to get the new firmware it requires the download to the SD card method to get the newest. I am sure that is just an accident on pandigitals part and will be fixed soon. Just don't want anyone to go through all that only to find they have the old firmware.
    More comments seem to indicate the new firmware is making it a bit better and more peppy.

I personally have never experienced any of the problems they discuss about wifi, with my 7-05 original firmware I have excellent wifi connection and coverage, maybe I just got a really good one LOL

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

also for those still on the fence about getting a PDN this might help. Actually now it would be 2 days since it ends the 15th

Only 3 days left to get your PDN for $100 from BB&B - see how

• vala55
    13 years ago

I knew I should have stayed out of this thread.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

"I knew I should have stayed out of this thread."

Me too...âº
    I hope to purchase the PDN tomorrow at BB&B. I have my 20% off coupon and rebate slip printed along with the Walgreen ad. I just hope they will honor the Walgreen ad price.

Jean

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

they sure should because many many people have been getting that deal in various BBB stores. Over on slatedroid several have posted success.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Let me tell you about my experience. I did get it at the price stated here, but there were problems. They don't do online price comparisons. The Walgreens info clearly said there was none in the store, that makes it online. They were very nice to me and let me have it anyway because I called and asked before I went in and was misinformed. Also you have to buy it before or by the 15th to get the rebate. The 20% off coupon has expired, but they said if you get one in the mail or in the newspaper later you can bring it in with the receipt and they will refund the 20%. I registered yesterday and got a 20% off of any one item at BB&B, took it in today and they gave me the 20% off.

• pfmastin
    13 years ago

Just a heads up on the time frame for your PDN rebate from BB&B. I mailed in my rebate form on July 20 and on August 2 received an email that it had been received and was being processed.

RC, after your great review I ordered the cover! I think it looks and sounds fine. I think the zipper feature is a real selling point.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did know it was online at walgreens but all the BBB stores have been honoring it anyway, I am surprised they did not let you use an expired 20% coupon they let me use them all the time, but the latest one I got has not expired yet.

They are even letting people who bought the PDN a couple of weeks ago bring in their receipt and giving them the discount with the walgreens ad, I chose not to do that, I am fine with what I paid for it.

Pam I am really liking the case, have not found fault with anything on it yet. I have not put the charger wart in it because I leave mine plugged in so that I can charge my PDN at anytime but I am storing the usb cable in one of the mesh pouches. And you can plug in the charger with it in the case. Someone on slatedroid asked if it was still able to connect to wifi ok while using it in the case, mine works just the same in or out with the case open of course.
    I like that I can just throw it in my purse and not worry at all about it being damaged.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

Well....I got it..they honored the walgreen sale price without a hitch. With tax, it came to $127.19 and the $20 rebate is ready to mail tomorrow. So, for the time being, I am a happy camper. The PDN is on the charger as I type and will read the manual in the mean time. It says you can use it while it is charging, but I prefer to wait....only 4 hours to charge.

Thanks for all the great information on the PDN..âº

Jean

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

you are welcome, did you get one of the 20% off coupons from BBB to use? if not you can still get one and go back and they will give you that discount after the sale. BBB is really good about going along with stuff like this, it has been very rare that I have seen anyone report having a problem.

Mine was fully charged out of the box so I started playing immediately, like a kid with a new toy!

It does take it a little while to boot up so don't think something is wrong if it sits there on the pandigital screen for a while. Then you need to set your time and date.
    Also you want to write down your unit info such as serial number etc because when you do a firmware update it is causing those number to zero. To find that info plus the version of firmware on yours go to settings then keep tapping the right pointing arrow at the top it will finally take you to the info page.

The powering off can be a bit tricky too, if you just flick the on off slider quickly it will put it in sleep mode, to fully power it off hold the slider to off for a few seconds longer and let go you should see the screen blur then the power off option will come on screen for you to select.

If you run into any questions just ask one of has probably had the same question.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

Thanks for that info raven. I got the coupon from BBB via email. Rebate form is printed and ready to mail tomorrow..I'm sure I will be back with lots of questions. Right now I'm waiting for our son to come and cook some walleye for supper...yum.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

Everything seems to work on the PDN, except I can not connect to the internet. This is what happens when I try.

When I press 'Web' from the home pages, I get this message:

WI-FI is not turned on, do you want to turn it on "yes", next screen: WI-FI is on, not connected.
    WI-FI networks
    MORROW
    Remembered, secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK.
    I try from the web icon at the bottom of the screen and it says
    No network connection. Browser cannot load this page because there is no internet connection
    I go to 'networks' and it say that 'WI-FI is on, not connected. The bottom part of the window says "Not in range" and I am about 4-5 feet from the router (Belkin N). Then after it scans, it says "connection unsuccessful, touch to try again.

I touch 'try again' and it says "WI-FI is on, not connected, disconnected".

I rebooted my modem and router and get the same thing.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

have you entered your passcode into it for your wifi network?

Mine will do also when I first connect say that it is out of range but I just wait there on that page and in a little bit it will pop up showing the ones in range then say it found mine then say it is connecting and getting address, do not rush it just wait there on that page till it shows connected for the first time.
    You did set your date and time correctly? that is important.

on your router do you by any chance have MAC address filtering set up? if so then it will not let anything connect to it unless the MAC address of the unit is entered into the router.

Tell me what firmware version you have on it please. You may need to do the latest firmware update I know it is supposed to have really helped some people with the wifi.
    I have never had a problem with mine, once it was originally set up with the passcode, it will on occasion do the not in range thing but just waiting a few seconds is all it takes to pop up connected.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

My date and time is correct, Mac address is disabled.
    Firmware is S10_07_18B_PD_INX73_ENG_6410POP.
    WI-FI version 2.3.0.0 July.01.2010

I just tried to connect again and after 4 minutes, this is what I get.

• mare_wbpa
    13 years ago

Have they fixed the problem with the latest update to allow it to work with the USB yet? I haven't done any updates, but if the newest one makes the PDN peppier I'll give it a go.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

Not sure if this is what you are referring to or not. I don't have an SD card yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: PDN Downloads

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jean it is showing the curved bars as in connected that is what mine shows when it is connected.
    Have you entered your pass code for your network into the PDN?
    I was talking about MAC address in your router, did you by any chance set up MAC address filtering in your router?

the newest firmware is 8-6 I think, Mare I do not know you would have to try it and see, I have not seen any more comments about it on slatedroid, my guess is that surely by now they have it fixed.

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

raven, my password is entered. Mac address in my router shows 'disabled'. I didn't set up a Mac address. When I am connected wireless with my PC, the wireless light on my router lights up. When I try to connect with the PDN, it doesn't light up..not connected....

• jean_mi_z5
    13 years ago

My mistake raven. I went back into my router settings and found this. Looks like I do have a Mac address. Will doing this help with the PDN? I'm a bit confused....big surprise? âº
    MAC Address
    MAC is an acronym for Media Access Controller. All network components including cards, adapters, and routers, have a unique "serial number" called a MAC address. Your ISP may record the MAC address of your computer's adapter and only let that particular computer connect to the Internet service. When you install the router, the Router's own MAC address will be "seen" by the ISP and may cause the connection not to work. Belkin has provided the ability to clone (copy) the MAC address of the computer into the router. This MAC address, in turn, will be seen by the ISP's system as the original MAC address and will allow the connection to work. If you are not sure if your ISP needs to see the original MAC address, simply clone the MAC address of the computer that was originally connected to the modem. Cloning the address will not cause any problems with your network.
    To Clone your MAC address, make sure that you are using the computer which was ORIGINALLY CONNECTED to your modem before the Router was installed. Click the "Clone MAC address" button. Click "Apply Changes". Your MAC address is now cloned to the router.

My netbook and other computer connects just fine with out the cloning. I don't know much about this router stuff..*Ã*

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    13 years ago

some people set up MAC address filtering in their routers to give a bit more security, what I was asking is if in your router you have it set up with MAC address filtering, if you do you would see listed the MAC address for any of your current computers that use that router to connect, when MAC address filtering is enabled then any other device or pc that tries to connect to that router will not be allowed to connect until you enter the MAC address of the new device.
    so what you would need to look at in your router under the MAC address filtering is do you see any of your current computers MAC addresses listed and is MAC address filtering enabled. IF NO then don't worry that is not what is causing problems if YES then you will need to get and add the MAC address of the PDN to the list or disable the MAC address filtering in the router.

Have you tried using the manual button on the network page on the PDN?