SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Finally, we have settled...

triciae
11 years ago

with our insurance company/FEMA on our Sandy claim for both real and personal property and the checks are in the bank. It is over. It took us just a few days shy of four months. Our insurance agent has told us we are exceptionally lucky. Tens of thousands haven't even gotten to first base yet.

What did we learn?

We learned that the traditional advice of having 6 months living expenses in a readily accessible account is so inadequate as to be ridiculous. That is not nearly enough. Sure, maybe, it works for short-term beign situations but not a true disaster. Maybe, it flies you across the country for a funeral, or something similar but real emergency - phooney. Here's why...

It took nearly four months to settle the insurance claim. What happened during those four months? We lived in a refugee hotel for the first 6-7 weeks. That was not a fun experience although we are most grateful. Many others do/did not even have that option. The hotel was not gratis - yes, there was a disaster relief discount but it was still in excess of $125/day. In our area, the hospitality industry offers few, if any, of those $79/night accomodations. Most days, we made a dozen trips to/from the house so it was not practical to be living 20-50 miles away in a cheaper area. Right there is a considerable amount of money and we haven't eaten yet. Our room had no microwave and no refrigerator although during Week 5 we were able to get both and it helped tremendously. In a disaster, one does not have the luxury to "shop around" for a room that suits your needs. You take what's available and count yourself among the fortunate. Our hotel also did not have a kitchen so no meals were available except they had cartons of Yoplait Yogurt, boxed cold cereal with cartons of milk, mini stale bagels and coffee/tea in the mornings.

Most, if not all, restaurants gave us discounts on meals but it was still expensive to eat out seven days/week. That six months savings account is going down fast....

And, we haven't even started to recover from the storm.

What to do about the house?

We had done some smart things prior to Sandy. A couple days before landfall, I phoned our agent and asked tons of questions including how to contact them should their office be disabled due to storm damage. Thanks goodness I did that because our agent was flooded out, same as us. The difference between us and most of their other clients? I had phoned ahead so we had their emergency off-site number to call immediately after the storm. The result? We had a remediation crew at our home on Day Three Post Sandy. (Thousands of people are STILL waiting in the queue to get a remediation crew to their property.)

The dollar wheel is really spinning now with the remediation crew on site. We had a crew of 8-9 at the house seven days/week for three weeks straight. They worked from first light to dusk, paid by the hour, when it became unsafe to work longer without light. To keep them "motivated", DH frequently brought them coffee/donuts in the morning and/or pizza at lunch. Not every day but several times/week we did one or the other. Often, on those days, we did not eat anything to save money. (It's OK, we are well fed and going without for a day didn't hurt either of us.)

While the remediation crew was still doing their thing...we were interviewing contractors (and, in our particular case, antique restorers). Again, because we had been able to act quickly, we snagged one of the few available contractors. We are in a housing recession (or have been until very recently). Therefore, there are not nearly as many contractors to go around as there were, say, 6 years ago. The contractor, however, wants hard cash in his hand before he starts ordering materials and hiring labor - who would blame him with all the storm horror stories. He's uninterested in insurance money. So, again out comes our checkbook.

While all this is happening we are also fortunate to have had a very early visit from both FEMA and our insurance adjuster. That was, again, because we'd phoned our insurance agent pre-Sandy and gotten that vital emergency phone number. So, we were at the top of the adjuster's list. In just my immediate Sandy Disaster Area, there are 2,000 adjusters working 350,000 claims. DH took a morning and drove to an area with power and got us a magic FEMA number online within a couple days of the storm. Our adjuster, from OK, was terrific. That was, probably, luck of the draw. FEMA set up a trailor in my town within a week of Sandy and that was a huge help going forward.

We have no FEMA woes to report. They did exactly as our policy said they would do plus giving us some assistance with temporary living expenses. Our bank fouled up the works about this time by changing their online banking system so our FEMA assistance was delayed but that was not FEMA's fault. We have zero complaints about FEMA. Those people were from all over the country giving of their time to help us. Unfortunately, many expected FEMA to do things that are outside their ability to help. For instance, if you have a second home that is unlivable - FEMA cannot help you. Please don't waste their precious time asking when they could be helping somebody with a valid claim. We overheard those conversations dozens of times. I felt badly for the FEMA folks. People were harrassing them and there was nothing in their authority to do to help. Or, somebody's basement had been flooded - FEMA won't cover a furnished basement, period. So, if you have a Man Cave down there, best get supplemental insurance. They will cover furnace, washer/dryer and that's about it for the basement.

Back to our house...the contractor has started reconstruction. In our case, the adjuster, town inspector and our contractor agreed we needed to tear out everything from the floor 4' up the walls. Well, gosh, most of what we own falls in that range. (Oh, FEMA was also very helpful in recommending new products to use such as this new insulation that in the event we are flooded again can be taken out, hosed off and replaced. Good stuff from FEMA.) So, other than what was on the closet shelves, kitchen upper cabinets, etc. was lost. But, everything except what the remediation company originally tore out to halt further damage was still there - so the packing started. The remediation company handled the packing with gangs of people tossing everything into boxes and out to a POD in our driveway. It was chaos. Utter chaos. Damaged things were tossed into boxes along with the undamaged. Time was the important factor - just time. Tens of thousands of people need this remediation crew when they are finished at our place.

Now, the fun starts. The adjuster gives us the PROOF OF CLAIM. That's in caps because it's like the big elephant in the room. My DH is an attorney and we had to read it several times before we understood how they would scr@w us if they could.

Normally, FEMA only gives claimants 60 days to file this monsterous claim form. Because the damage from Sandy was humongous FEMA waived that and increased the filing deadline to 365 days. I'm sure that will be a saving grace to many, many people. Sixty days would have been impossible. Combined, we spent literally several hundred hours working on our Proof of Claim.

Construction on our house continued but we haven't received our claim approval so we keep paying out of OUR pocket. Believe me, those six months living expenses everybody tells you to have are LONG gone and we are in to other funds. As it turned out, we rebuilt and refurnished our entire home from personal funds. We just received settlement a couple days ago. After the dust settled, we came out okay - actually, we came out very okay. If you never do much with personal household finances please please do at least the following...

1. Keep every single receipt. That includes for that new wash cloth. Even the pair of socks. And, yes, the new refrigerator. Every single receipt for every single thing in your home. If you do not do this you will be sorry if disaster ever visits your neighborhood. Our adjuster told me that less than 1% of people can PROVE loss and that's largely why we are settled after only four months.

2. Take photos of everything. Open the cupboards, dresser drawers, snap, snap, snap. Don't forget under the bathroom vanities or the garage. If you own it - record it both by receipt and by photo.

3. Increase your emergency savings. We blew through a heart stopping amount of cash to get our house rebuilt. If we had not had the money - who knows where we'd be today. Not here, back at home, that's for sure. No new LC dutch oven, new pair of shoes, iPad, etc. is worth it. In a disaster, money talks like nothing else. If you're not already, get on a budget and start saving. Believe me, we are not part of the one-percent crowd. We've just made serious decisions to build varied assets over the years including DH going back to school for his JD degree.

4. Make friends with your local businessmen NOW when you don't need them. Then, when you DO need them - they will remember you purchased your new stove, car, vacuum, baby blanket, etc. from their store and bend over backwards to help you in your time of need. Then, don't forget about them again. Drop by with a treat and say, "Thanks". Community before corporations. Mom & Pop Diner before Red Lobster. Your local cookware store before Sur La Table or amazon. Your locally owned Ace Hardware or local flooring store over Lowe's. Believe me, you will more than make up the price difference should you experience something like Sandy or the wildfires in CO last year. And, you'll get to know your community neighbors. Win win. Let corporations fend for themselves. They will do just fine without you. They almost always do.

So much has been destroyed. I don't believe in my lifetime it will be all repaired. Even our coastline is now foreign. I don't even know if we can go boating this summer - the Coast Guard is still hauling houses, washers/dryers, oil tanks, BBQs, etc. from LIS. The harbors need dredging. There are new shoals, rocks, etc. that are shipping hazards. The Coast Guard needs to remap our shoreline and that will take some time and dollars. I'm fairly sure our area will be one of the first because we have the USCG Academy, a US submarine base, a submarine manufacturer, and a nuclear plant within five miles but still it won't be by May 2013, I'm also sure. I have no idea what the lost summer revenue to local businesses will be but I'm worried about my town's future.

Anyway, remember you don't need to be in a coastal area for disaster to happen.

/tricia

Comments (29)

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Forgot to mention...

Keep those receipts and photos off-site. If you lose the house when you aren't home or have to leave immediately to save life...you'll loose all the info for that Proof of Claim that's coming.

/t

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Tricia, I have read every word of your post. I have imagined your situation over the past months but mostly I thought of your physical discomfort and not the mi-nute and monetary implications. I know your and DH's professional background helped tremendously along with your attitude that it was your responsibility to get yourself back on your feet.

Much, much admiration goes out to you!

• Related Discussions

Houston, we have lift-off (finally)

Q

Comments (13)
    Look at all of your space and your wonderful gardens! I agree with you re: Liberty, it is my favourite this time of year as well. I have transplanted trilliums successfully, I have four clumps here in my subdivision garden. hostahosta - do you get plenty of the rhizomes and roots below that? That is the most important thing even if you don't get much of the 'plant'. The following year is when you see them flourish as the year of transplant they will appear to 'die' after transplant in the spring.
    ...See More

Finally settled 'enough' to share pics

Q

Comments (24)
    persnickety, Thank you. We are very blessed to be on the water. It has been a blast! I'm also very happy with how the tile turned out. it was a leap of faith. I found the tile maker on eBay and then worked with her to create the tiles. They arrived in MANY large boxes, but in great shape and ended up coordinating very well. Very close to what I had "in my head". ajpl, The boys mini office is one of my favorite spaces as well. Ironically, it wasn't supposed to be finished at all, but when we saw it framed, our GC thought we might want to finish it off. He said it would cost almost as much to add the insulated door and make it unconditioned space as to finish it. I'm so glad we did! They love it and now I have a spot for all their books and school/art supplies. The cubbies are much smaller than I would have liked, but, at least we squeezed them in. twogirlsbigtrouble, The beams across the front are cedar. They were stained after installation with Sikkens Cetol 23. The porch itself is 5 1/2' deep and then 7' between the pillars. The base of each pillar is about 2' each, so the width of the entire front area is about 11'. The inspiration for the structure of the porch was the following picture. Here are some close ups of our porch, if that is helpful. I don't think it was very costly to do, although I don't have exact numbers. I know the framers ordered the large cedar pieces (they used the same thing for our braces) and put them up as they finished framing. The tapered beam was built later by the same gentleman who built our decks and the stone work was done last. I spent a lot of time in architectural salvage shops when we are building, so I'm surprised more reclaimed pieces didn't make it into our build. However, each thing that you do outside the normal channel is a lot of work to coordinate, and at some point, I had to prioritize the most important elements and focus on them. Otherwise, our build could have gone on FOREVER! Thanks to everyone for the flattering comments. Honestly, we could not have built this house without all of you!
    ...See More

TA-DA! I finally settled on a color for my bakers table!

Q

Comments (31)
    been lurkin and watching your progress. That is a timeless color. Will "get along" with just about anything you put in the room with it, and look fantastic with the marble. Here is a similar color in a mosaic at The Breakers. It's that bit in the circle, just inward from the greek key border.
    ...See More

So, we have decided on Corian! Must finalize details.

Q

Comments (4)
    I put in Maui medium- dark with a equal double bowl integrated white sink in my mom's house..I love it and miss it..(we moved) it has been done for over 10 years and I think it all still looks great. I still rub my hands across the counters when I walk in that kitchen. The cabs are light stained Maple. I love the integrated sink..zero seams smooth and easy to wipe down. Soft scrub and a green scrubby are your friends. This was taken right after the counters were installed. There is now a half glass tile backsplash. Goes to the height of the window on that wall. I will probably go the same route in our current kitchen when we remodel it. Corian and integrated. It's at the top of my list. This post was edited by terri_pacnw on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 12:00
    ...See More
  • gwlolo
    11 years ago

Tricia- this is impressive. I printed out your post and plan to talk to DH about our plan. We are in CA earthquake country and have been hiding our head in the sand so to speak. The bottles of water and emergency ration is one thing but the financial aspects are a whole different ball of wax.

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cathy, thank you but many a moment we were unsure whether we'd make it or become one of the casualties. I'm just so glad it's over. Now, we can concentrate on recovering from the physcological damage.

GWlolo, I'm glad you read my post. My hope was to get even one person to do better preparation. We thought we were prepared. We even maintain a one-year food storage program. We learned that plans desolve when confronted with the enemy. Just like in war. Our food storage program was useless. Not that it isn't useful in other situations like when DH lost his job back in the 80s, but for this particular emergency, it was useless.

The biggest unknown was a dollar amount the insurance would cover. They don't tell you. They leave it to you to tell them and then they try to chop you down. Here's an made-up example of a line item from our Proof of Loss. We had 317 line items of losses (personal property - this doesn't even take into account the real property losses)...

Recliner, Purchased 2009, $789, XYZ Rip Off Furniture, Fabric: Baby Sh*t Brown, Model #123ABC, Receipt Attached, Ten Year Expected Life, Amount of Depreciation: $234, Amount of Loss: $555

They give you no guidelines for expected life of item nor for the amount of depreciation. They pay off something called "Functional Value". So, if you have a nice stove - well, they want to know what you can get a "functional" stove for in your area. See where this is going...

You have to out smart them.

We had to rebuild/refurnish with zero idea of what we would collect from the insurance company because you don't know that amount until 2-3 weeks before receiving settlement. So, we set a budget that we could handle and went from that point. I'd guess we have not replaced 20-40% of what we lost. Hopefully, we'll not miss those items.

The adjuster plays head games with you. We'd get an 11 pm phone call from our adjuster saying he really needed some piece of obscure information by 1 am so he could get it to the insurance company. We'd stay up trying to give him what he'd asked for and then hear nothing for 2, 3, 4 weeks when he'd email asking for something else.

The trauma of that on top of the distress from losing our home was difficult to deal with. We knew though if we provided the info and hung on longer than he had time to keep us in the chain - we would prevail. Forewarned is forearmed. That's why I'm hoping to give people some idea of what to expect in case of a disaster and large insurance claim.

There are virtually no contractors available now that you'd want to hire. Everybody's already working a job. So, if we'd waited for settlement to start on our house who knows how long we wait. I feel so sorry for so many people that are stuck in the mud (literally) trying to recover. Many, many people are just giving up trying to get settlement on their insurance because it's so time consuming and requires so much detail.

/tricia

• sally2_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, Tricia, thanks for sharing your experience. What an ordeal. I'm going to save your posts, also, for reference, to use as a guide.

Sally

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Tricia, so sorry you had/have to go through all that, but I do know that what you say is true. Years ago my home was broken into while on vacation with my family and robbed of nearly everything I had. Dealing with the insurance was a nightmare and the worst part of the enrtire ordeal!

I am glad to hear you are on your way back to "normalcy". I truly believe that attitude is half the battle and you have proven that is so! I am sure that the experience you have shared here will have a lot of us taking a look at our disaster plans and rethinking them.

Good luck! It won't be long now!

Linda

• nancylouise5me
    11 years ago

Goodness what you both have been through. We have experienced minor flooding living near the coast but nothing like you. Excellent tips on how to prepare pre-storm. I'm saving this post for the future. NancyLouise

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Linda, like you my house was broken into. A lot of damage was caused via broken doors and windows, things were just smashed for no particular reason other than where I worked. Dealing with the insurance company was horrible. I've also had two house fires, anything that wasn't burned was damaged or destroyed by smoke.

My only advice is to take pictures of your rooms, that way you remember what was in there when the time comes. . Be prepared to take months to resolve everything, I was still fighting with insurance adjusters 6 months after the first fire. I learned a lot from that, so I was better the second time around.

The only thing is now I absolutely cannot light a fire in the fireplace or burn a candle, I have to get up a dozen times because I smell smoke at night if I do that. Things stay with you.

Annie

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Wow. What a lesson for us all. Fortunately, I have receipts for everything. It's more of an OCD thing than being prepared. Of course, not for clothes which I imagine have little value, but for all home purchases and improvements.

I am going to get out the camera and start shooting. I was thinking, yeah but the worst thing that could happen is a tree would fall on the house, but I forgot about burglaries and vandalism. There are plenty of house break-ins around here. No floods. I am at a high elevation.

Tricia, did you have receipts in a safe deposit box? That's the only off site location that comes to mind.

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Thank you Tricia, for all the advise. I have been thinking about scanning all of our important documents into the computer and putting them on a miniature flash drive that can be attached to our key rings. Including our emergency medical info. As the mini drives are holding more and more info now days, the reciepts and photos could go there as well, then would be with you where ever you go. The information you gave us is something we all need to know, and follow thru on.

I am so glad to hear that you are back home again. I have not forgotten you pot holders. As soon as I finish this baby blanket for the shower on Sat. I will be getting those done!

Tami

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Tricia, I thought about you all night (yes, it was 3am and you were still on my mind). How are you doing with restocking your kitchen with tools, pots, and pans?

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If our emergency would have been a burglary or fire the Homeowners Insurance would have paid our claim. We have the antiques, jewelry, musical instruments, etc. scheduled on that policy based on appraised value so it would have been much easier than this FEMA claim.

Pam, we have one of those rental storage facilities. Just a small one. That's where we take pictures, Dad's accordion, and other stuff we don't want to lose. Our receipts and photos were in with those things. It's small but costs less than $75/mo.

Tami, a flash drive is a terrific idea! They accepted our photos via email so I see no reason an insurance company would insist on traditional printed pictures.

Cathy, our kitchen will be much leaner and meaner. Much just isn't going to be replaced. We had custom closet organizers built into every closet in the house including the pantry. If there is not a dedicated place in one of those closets - we aren't buying. For instance, a dozen silver-plated chargers...we're retired, why do we need to replace those? :)

We did put down Wicanders cork floors throughout the whole house except the bathroom. They are wonderful. Worth the expense. We have to replace all window treatments (mold) but that's not done yet. They've been sprayed for the mold and are still hanging in all their ugly glory at the moment. :( Seems like a minor detail, to us.

I really like our new upholstered furniture. More modern than we are used to. Gives a new/different look to the antiques. The antiques stay 'cause they are part of our investment portfolio. A couple suffered enough damage to have lowered their value. That's a bummer - direct financial loss to us. The others though have been dried out, the finish has been blended, and waxed. They are fine, thankfully. We didn't loose any glass/stoneware/china antiques. We did lose a rather pricey antique goose decoy though. It was on the floor and took a direct hit from the flood. Nothing to be done about the lose of the wonderful dry old paint. We should have grabbed him before we evacuated, and didn't.

/t

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Tricia this post is an amazing source of first-person experienced information. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

Tricia, I am so much in awe of you. You are, and always will be, Wonder Woman.

• compumom
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your ordeal. Your tips and tricks are valuable to many who may find themselves in your situation. You're an inspiration and a fountain of information.
    Thanks for being here!

• partst
    11 years ago

Tricia,
    I couldn’t be happier for you it sounds like you are well on the road to total, well maybe not total, recovery. I hope this didn’t set you back with your health issues but you sound like you’re doing well.

I’m confused here you stated “we finally settled with our insurance company/FEMA on our Sandy claim for both real and personal and the checks are in the bank” I didn’t think FEMA had anything to do with insurance? We live in an earthquake/ wild fire state and our insurance agent has assured me FEMA will not be here to help me at all. We carry an earthquake policy, the best that we are allowed to buy, and have more than adequate home owners with every upgrade that’s offered. Insurance is our highest monthly bill so there’s not much more that we can do. Our agent gave me a print out of exactly what to expect in the case for a total loss and that didn’t include the California earthquake coverage. I know what the policy says but I don’t think anybody knows what California will do but we have the coverage!

I keep a complete household inventory for my home plus one for my dad’s on a flash drive with copies in my daughters safe. We have been evacuated several times so I have what to take down pat. We buy everything and I do mean everything with our Visa card and I did ask our insurance agent if they would take our Visa bills as proof of purchase he said yes but I also keep a monthly file for most every receipt we get. I’ve seen the form and hope I never have to fill it out. Our homeowner’s covers housing us until we are made whole again and we did use that once when we had a pipe let loose and couldn’t live in the house for 11 days. They paid for all hotel and 50% of food expenses no questions ask.

I think our biggest issue would be negotiating a settlement because we would probably choose not to rebuild or at least not to rebuild in this location but I’ve been told we could hire a professional to do that for us.

Anyways I am just curious about FEMA?

Claudia

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Claudia,

FEMA underwrites flood insurance in the country. Individual policies are written by regular insurance agents but it's FEMA paying the claim. During that 2 months when our esteemed Speaker of the House would not bring the Sandy situation to a vote, we were experiencing a lot of anxiety. We have paid our premiums faithfully, and in our zone, that is not chump change, yet the House threatened us with not paying our claim. They were, apparently, willing to default on their contract liability with us. That's when I got sick with the bronchitis. I'm sure stress played a large part of my getting sick. Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I will remember your compassion.

Do you live near a river? You're in deep snowfall country, right? Hilly area? Spring snowmelt can cause extreme flooding. Ask the people in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota. Have you considered flood insurance? If you're not in a FEMA designated flood zone the insurance is dirt cheap - like less than $200/year.

If you are burned out or experience an earthquake - I know all about those since I'm a native Californian - FEMA will be there but in a different role. FEMA will help with temporary housing, meals, low interest loans to rebuild, etc. I have no idea why your agent says FEMA will be absent?

FEMA Flood Insurance does NOT pay ANY temporary housing. But, FEMA itself does offer help and we received a bit. Thank you, FEMA!!!

Our Homeowners Policy also has a clause that pays temporary housing/meals but in a flood event they lay down and play dead. Many people, in the Sandy disaster, had BOTH flood damage and homeowner policy damage. That's a real mess because both try to deny your problems are their responsibility. We would have had to fight that battle if we would have had extensive wind damage plus the flooding. Fortunately, when we rebuilt this place after purchase we built it like Fort Knox and we had no wind damage at all. Plus, we've had ALL our trees cabled that were near the house which I believe also helped us 'cause we didn't lose a single tree and they were down all around us.

If you have a mortgage - that's another layer of frustration. All insurance proceeds (for the real property damage), of course, goes to your lender. So, you have to get their approval before you can do a darn thing. That delays the entire recovery effort. Fortunately, we don't have a mortgage so avoided that nightmare.

I understand about thinking you won't rebuild. We sure thought long and hard before buying this little cottage. But, I've just got the sea in my heart and blood. Spent a dozen years in Denver and was miserable. An area that millions consider some of the most beautiful part of our country looked like a moonscape, to me. It was dry, dusty, and did I mention it was dry? lol I remember once DH coming home from work and finding me in tears. All my precious little violets that I'd planted and nutured were dead from the hot, dry (read "evil") winds. Of course, at that time I didn't realize I had Sjogren's. Of course, that climate would be a not so good place to call home. :)

So, here, next to the sea we'll stay.

/tricia

• partst
    11 years ago

Tricia,
    I called my agent to ask why he made that statement about FEMA being no use to us in an emergency situation his answer was that he had never seen a situation where FEMA had helped out in all the years he has been here in the valley. He said in every declared emergency, fire, FEMA had helped out the forest service for the cost of the fire and only once had FEMA offered residents any assistance and that was in the form of low interest loans to rebuild. He said we are so insured that we would never qualify for FEMA.

We don’t have a mortgage, live at 3000 ft so the snow we get is just pretty and melts pretty fast, I can walk to the river but its well below us and the couple times its flooded in the past 40 years it didn’t come near my house even when it took the bridge and half the park out. We have the funds to rebuild if that’s what we wanted but I don’t think we would ever build in California again.

Like I said our biggest issue would be negotiating a settlement and that’s why I insist on him giving me a print out of exactly what the limits of our insurance are for both real and personal property. California earthquake insurance has changed and we do have more choices as far as personal property goes but with the deductable being a percentage of the total loss it would be hard to even try to figure out what it would be worth.

We are as insured as we can be we even carry a hefty umbrella policy to cover the great unknown! We got billed an extra $300.00 from the state this year just because we live in the mountains they said its to fight fire but we live surrounded by national forest so the state doesn’t fight our fires but they can bill it so they did. Go figure!

Claudia

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Tricia, Thanks very much for your detailed report to us. It took much time, thought and discipline to so carefully and thoroughly document your experiences. I have saved the whole valuable thread.

I am glad that you, personally are getting back to some kind of normalcy. I know it will take a while until the achy feeling in your gut subsides. A long while.

Our company suffered a different kind of catastrophic loss in that 175 of our employees perished on the high floors of the World Trade Center. Among them was my son's first serious girlfriend, a law school classmate and later, at her death, a married mother of a one year old. She and my son had separated several years prior. I am a retiree and dh is still an active employee of that company.

Fortunately, people can prepare for the losses of Sandy and you have told us pretty clearly just how to do that. And it is a ton of work. I hope folks learn from your words and example. It can be done. You showed how.

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

westsider40,

My heart felt sympathies to you and your family at the 911 losses. Even now, there are just no words to adequately described that horror. The WTC touched so many in the country. My BIL is a bond trader in Denver. He lost a childhood neighbor and playmate at Cantor Fitzgerald. Prior to 911, BIL had been a stock broker. Afterwards, he switched to bonds as a way to assure he never forgot his friend. There is no way to ever prepare for such disaster.

I just hope one person takes a look at their insurance and makes sure they are adequately insured and understand the fine print. And looks at their emergency funds situation. I don't know what's going on in D.C. and I don't believe our "leaders" do either. But I do know we've had lots of different types of disasters during the past five years. Many of them "historic". Even if you have adequate insurance - it takes time to receive those proceeds and life continues and has to be paid for in real time.

/tricia

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

Tricia,

That is a great accounting and assessment. I am glad you are at the other end of tunnel and can see some light now. I can echo everything you wrote.

My town still does not have a school, a post office, its library, its village hall, its fire department with every business and home impacted and so many still displaced.

Now having witnessed and lived through a disaster first hand, I can say I have never loved my country so much. Seeing the various agencies; public and private (from FEMA, to the National Guard, to the Salvation Army and Red Cross), faith based (Samaritan's Purse for example still here), corporations (Loads of Hope from Tide for example) as well as individuals (so many volunteers whith beautiful hearts from all over the country) come in and each fill a unique roll was truly a beautiful thing within the destruction.

Not only is my shoreline and community infrastructure changed, but my internal infrastructure is changed forever.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Maggie, is that you????!!!

I'm happy to see you.

Annie

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

Tis me our a tricky leprechaun up to shenanigans this st pats weekend ;)

Ty, nice to see you Annie and catching up.

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

Here they are this morning...

• triciae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maggie,

The kids are adorable. What cute poses!

Have you recovered from Sandy? Your town sounds like it was hammered. Our library is built up on a good sized hill and is still standing. The town square was flooded badly. The post office and fire departments suffered damage but will recover. Our famous bascule bridge was opened during the storm and came through in better shape than we had a right to expect. So, all in all, our public infrastructure is wet, battered, but still in operation.

Every week it seems we have one fewer "Closed Due To Storm Damage" sign around town. Progress is slow but is happening. A few downtown businesses are gone for good though.

You are so right about the volunteers, agencies, faith based groups. We met people from all over the country here to help. Even Hawaii. Most of the FEMA people were retired and FEMA calls them to service during times of disaster. They are well seasoned in disasters and their calming influence was much needed. I was very impressed with how well all the volunteer groups buoyed the kids' spirits. They were scared and Mom/Dad were busy and preoccupied but it seemed like somebody was always quick to spot need and offer support, a Kleenex, or miraculously show up with a teddy bear. It does make you proud to be an American. I was also proud that there was no looting in our area so officials could concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

Thanks for checking in. Hope you're okay or will be soon.

/tricia

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

Thx, Tricia. There is progress and plans and federal money to harden vital infrastructure. Some people will be raising their homes, parts of town are below sea level and you need to get to certain elevation. My feeling is the Feds
    Are looking to get out of underwriting flood. Sadly, the sewer plant failure and dumping of billions of gallons of un treated or partially treated waste water I to our waters for months has done untold damage for decades to come.

But still, there is progress and time moves forward.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Aw, Mags, I knew you got hammered, I asked Carol. (sigh) I'm sorry.

But OMG, those kids! How could they possibly be so big? It couldn't possibly be that long ago, I remember when that baby girl was born....

Annie

• maggie2094
    11 years ago

I knew you would like the pic, Annie :) tomorrow is our day! i am looking forward to catching up on the real pioneer woman and beautiful fam :)

Truly, we consider ourselves fortunate.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mags, we've added Madison since I've last seen you here and Ashley is expecting again in August.

Time flies, even when you're Irish!

I was sad for you, though, and for Carol, every time I got a message from her she was standing in line for gas for the generator. I'm assuming your power was off for days, as hers was.

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 20:09