SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Mac vs PC - Worth the price difference?

jane__ny
14 years ago

Husband does a lot of photography and has an old computer. Our kids are thinking of buying him a new one for his birthday. My daughter thinks a Mac is the best.

I've taken a brief look at them on-line and the price difference is big. We've always used PC's and I'm wondering if there is 'truly' a big difference, enough to justify price and ease of use? I also worry about the learning curve? Computers do not come easy to him and the old saying, "can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a concern.

They certainly look jazzy, but you don't get as much for your money as you do with a PC (I think).

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Jane

Comments (28)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I received a MacBook as a Christmas present having previously been a PC user for a couple of decades. Overall is my Mac "worth" the additional cost over a PC? Hmmm. Good question. Overall I have been very pleased with the laptop. The feature I like the most is the touch pad, which supports multi-touch. 1, 2, 3, or 4 fingers and various motions all do something different. I have to say that I'm not too keen on a white case and keyboard -- it show dirt!

In terms of the operating system, I would characterize OS X as not so much better or worse than Windows as just different. Although there are a few things that the OS X does "better" but I'm not sure that in the aggregate they would be worth a significant different in cost. To some degree it is akin to asking if an Accord or Camry is a "better" car. Both offer some relative advantages and disadvantages but in all it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Macs do offer some advantages when it comes to security because there are simply fewer viruses and other malware designed to attack a Mac. That's not to say they are absolutely secure and one doesn't need to exercise some caution.

If your father does a lot of photo editing, the 13" screen of a MacBook is really too small for any serious work. I'd suggest an iMac, at least the 15" MacBook Pro, or a Mac Pro.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Only you and/or hubby can decide this Jane. No doubt others will come touting the ups and downs of both PC and Mac but you have stated in the past that your husband is not computer literate and fights the urge to learn. He is not alone in that for sure.

Getting a PC with ample memory and a good photo editing program would probably be better for him, at least he has already learned the basics of the PC. Even then he will have to adjust to Win7 from XP

• Related Discussions

Is Rangetop worth the extra price vs Cooktop?

Q

Comments (6)
    BlueStar has both a cooktop and a rangetop. It appears the burners on the cooktop are the same as the rangetop but there is no drip tray on the cooktop, so there must be some difference. The cooktop is billed as 22000 BTU however! and is considerably less than the rangetop. Would love to hear from someone who has compared them. In my current kitchen I have a cooktop. I'm not a messy cook but inevitably there are spatters and having to clean around the knobs (or remove and wash) takes more time than doing the entire rest of the top. I want a rangetop in the new kitchen specifically so the knobs are in front and hopefully will not get any splatters. I have to say, cleanability is probably at least as or more important to me than performance.
    ...See More

Help: caesarstone oyster vs lg hi macs volcanics shasta

Q

Comments (2)
    Caesarstone doesn't require sealing. No quartz countertops do. That is one benefit over granite. Amazing that it is the same price as Hi Macs. I'd check out the fabricators you are looking at. Look at their seams, get recommendations. See if they use the phantom seam system, if so you shouldn't really be able to see it. They are almost invisible - especially in lighter colors. Also ask them to use as few seams as possible. Fabricators have to go with the sink manufacturer's template for the cut out, they have an option of a reveal or no reveal, I think. I'd go with a slight reveal - so you see maybe 1/8" or less of sink edge, that way if it's there - you will remember to clean it. If you go with a negative reveal where you definitely don't see the sink - out of sight out of mind & it will get overlooked & gunky.
    ...See More

advice on which unit to buy and whats worth the price?

Q

Comments (2)
    I would not install a furnace and duct work in an unconditioned attic if I could avoid it. That is the worst place to put it in my opinion. You can install a high efficiency furnace in an attic if the installer does it properly. It has nothing to do with the shingles. Does the 5000 sq. feet represent the living space? What does two units for each half mean? To answer your questions: 1. You are going to get a lot of opinions on manufacturers. Some posters will say the manufacturer does not matter, others will say there are big differences. The truth is some where in the middle. Proper installation is very important. The best furnace on the market which has been improperly installed will never work correctly. Carrier/Bryant and Trane/American Standard are regarded as the best. Seach this forum for Goodman problems. Heil furnaces might be a good value. On some model the furnace will be replaced if the heat exchanger fails during the first 10 years. 2. I think a 2-stage furnace is worth the additional cost. It can be quieter and more comfortable. There is some energy savings but it is small. 3. If you are replacing windows and making the house tighter then you probably don't need a humidifier. Low humidity is caused by air leaks. Steam humidifiers are supposed to be the best. 4. Some of the Carrier Infinity and Performance models have an overlap of features. The differences will vary between any two models. You can install an Infinity furnace with a Performance condenser, and vice versa. You have to always verify it is a approved AHRI match.
    ...See More

No price difference: beaded inset vs. standard overlay cabinets?

Q

Comments (14)
    @Kelly Zamonski Oh, thank you so much. Glad I asked here! It's really down to whether we can afford Shiloh vs. Aspect, as we're having other work done at the same time. Right now, they're quoting ceiling height cabinets in painted maple in Aspen door fronts in both lines. (It's a 12' x 15', U-shaped counter with peninsula, and pantry fridge located on the opposite wall.) We're updating from vinyl sheet floors and orange oak cabinets put in when the house (suburban traditional upright & wing) was built in the early 80s, so annnyyything will be an upgrade to appearance. That's interesting about partial overlay is coming back in style because it really doesn't look bad to me. Although, I don't think we'll risk waiting for orange oak to come back 'round in the trends.
    ...See More
  • kudzu9
    14 years ago

I use PCs pretty exclusively; my adult children use both, but are big fans of Macs. And some things are easier on Macs.

However, if you have someone who is somewhat computer illiterate, or is a techno-phobe, and has learned any basics on PCs, it could be confusing and counter-productive to put them on a Mac.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, you have said what I thought. My daughter has convinced him that using a Mac is 'intuitive' and much easier than Windows. She is talking about the desktop as he cannot deal with a touch-pad, she feels the monitor is so much better and the filing system for photos is superior.

His present computer is very old and is the machine I am planning to add memory to (one of these days).

I think I will 'stick to my guns' and insist on a new Windows desktop. Next question would be, 64 bit?

My husband is semi-retired and very involved with a photography club in the area. He would like to be able to save some photos in RAW, which he can't do on his old machine.

Thanks for your thoughts and Mike, I appreciate your honesty. You are the only Mac user I've spoken to who gave an unbiased opinion. I have found Mac users to be, almost 'cult-like.'

Jane

• grandms
    13 years ago

Jane, I'd definitely go with 64 bit---32 is on its way out, and now most any newer program works with 64 bit. Does he already have a favorite photo program? Lots of good ones out there, but, again, some have a steep learning curve.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Can't let the "cult" comment go. It's not a religion, it's just a machine.

I switched almost five years ago. I don't consider myself "cult-like" in the least. I just like my machines to work. This iMac has been on all day every day since it came out of the box. It's the first computer I've owned since 1987 that doesn't mess up on a regular basis or get bugs or a dozen other things that cost me money and make me crazy.

The learning curve is a breeze. The lack of troubles is an absolute tonic. The $400.00 per year I used to spend for on-site tech-help has remained in my pocket. Some people say Macs are expensive. Compared with my previous (many) years of PC experience, this machine has literally paid for itself in real dollars. The lack of irritation/aggravation and increased productivity are on top of that. My "obsolete" machine is running the exact same OS and version as the latest Macs -- which I know because there are several new ones in the family right now. Plus Apple's tech-help is, essentially, the only staff in the world that's worth a fig. They're here in the US, they speak English, and they know what they're talking about. Only had a few questions over the years but they straightened me out pronto each time.

If you have an Apple Store anywhere close, go there. Everything they have is up and running all the time and you can play with it yourself. People there to introduce you to it if you're unfamiliar. You can make up your own mind. If you want a PC, that's fine too. It's your computer-life.

For myself, I'd need an awful lot of convincing to go back

There is a free Mac Forum where you can ask questions. Kind of like this, except all Macs. Very well attended. There is one particular forum called "switcher's hangout" that you may find very interesting. I hung out there for six weeks before my move five years ago. That's how paranoid I was.

Here is a link that might be useful: free Mac forum

• zep516
    13 years ago

Cult of Mac
    By Leander Kahney

It's all fun!

• majickmann
    13 years ago

Hi, Jane...
    Adding my nickel's worth... have to agree with owbist that only you/your husband can decide, but--

To answer your question simply, yes it can be worth the extra cash.

Putting it into perspective, do you/your husband drive a luxury car or a "compact/sub-compact"? While the luxury car has the soft, quiet, comfortable ride, the lower-priced car may fulfill your driving needs.

So it is with the MAC... it is the luxury PC. Practically never crashes (the famous blue screen of death) and tech support is the best for when something doesn't work as expected. Just check Consumer Reports website or magazine.

But, just like the "other car", the PC running MS Windows will probably be okay for you. It will "breakdown" periodically, but can usually be fixed easily.

You/your husband will have to learn the new operating system regardless which you decide. The differences between Windows 2000 or XP and Windows 7 are somewhat confusing.

If money is not a problem, buy the MAC. You will be very happy with it. Otherwise, go with the MS Windows PC. Just get the maximum memory and largest hard drive available.

I'm not sure what prompted the "cultist" comment. I'm betting the same reasoning can be applied to most any group. There are always some people in any group/forum that are perceived as different... and some that really are.

DISCLAIMER: A problem with the money includes just don't want to spend "that much money" on a computer. Don't want anyone to get the incorrect notion that only "rich people" should have MAC's. You/your husband has to be happy with the purchase and operation of the computer-- not me or anyone else on this forum. :-)

Hope this helps along with the other postings...
    :-)

--majickmann

• secsteve
    13 years ago

I agree with asolo. I switched to a Mac three years ago and wouldn't go back to a PC now. As asolo stated the learning curve is a breeze. I bought the book Switching to a Mac from a PC for Dummies and it really helped.

I'm also in agreement about the lack of irritation over blue screens of death, constant update notices and all the rest of the items that come with owning a PC. I just turn on my Mac and off we go.

It's worth the visit to the Apple Store to get a better opinion in person and talk with the reps there. I found them very helpful when I was considering getting my Mac.

Hope this helps.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

With all due respect to my fellow Mac users I beg to disagree with the reliability of the Mac operating system. I've used MS-DOS, Windows 3.0, 3.1, '95, '98, NT 4, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7. A number of years back, in my anti-Microsoft phase, played with various flavors of Linux. I've also used, to a lesser degree, OS/2. At one point I held an A+ certification and did break/fix work for companies providing support for most of the major PC manufacturers.

On my three PC's I haven't seen a BSOD in years and all three are largely trouble free. No significant problems with viruses or other malware but I don't click willy nilly on any link in an email or pirate music.

Since Christmas I have had to force a reboot on my MacBook once and have had a number of applications freeze requiring a Force Quit. While it doesn't happen frequently, it does happen. Whatever the number, it exceeds the combined problems of my three PC's in the same time period. Years ago Linux was touted as a crash free operating system and I managed to crash that too. My point is that no operating system is perfect.

Most PC users should have no problems adjusting to a Mac. It's Command-C and Command-V instead of Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. The mousepad can be set up two ways to perform the traditional right click -- clicking at the lower right or touching with two fingers (or both). The delete key is what PC users would call "backspace" but if you want to delete, the press fn-delete. WiFi is pretty intuitive and super easy. Setting up printers was very easy, almost surprisingly so -- two are connected to a Windows machine and the other is networkable printer. Connecting to my phone via bluetooth was considerably easier than with Windows XP (although Vista or 7 may be better - haven't tried them). Nokia doesn't offer their Ovi suite for Mac although they have a couple of individual applications that perform most tasks, just not in one unified application.

The biggest limitation I see with Mac is the lack of software. While it's gotten much better, there is still simply far less available for a Mac. More importantly it's harder to what what you want at a local store. As I understand it, Microsoft is going to make some changes to Office for Mac but right now if you want Outlook or Access...you're out of luck. I much prefer Outlook to Apple's address book.

If you have access to an Apple store, I would suggest setting aside some time and go play with a Mac. The great thing about an Apple store is that they really don't seem to mind people playing and there are always plenty of experts on hand to answer your questions (which I don't think you'll find at most stores selling PC's).

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I guess we've been fortunate over the years and haven't suffered major problems with out computers. His old one still works, just about out of memory but doesn't crash. Is almost 8 yrs old. We have Dells and have no complaints.

The reason for the switch had to do with his Photoshop work. The advice was, Apple computers are much better with photography and ease with filing. My husband has never mastered Windows file system and is forever losing photos. He just does not have the patience required to learn and stubbornly refuses to take things one step at a time. He actually hates computers but has to use them for his photos. I was hoping to hear how much better Macs handled filing and ease of use.

Money or luxury have nothing to do with the decision. Ease of use would be the priority. We've been lucky with all our computers and I wind up doing the maintenance scans, updates, clean-up, etc.) on all of them.

The 'cult' reference had to do with how people love their Macs and state there is no comparison to PC's. It is difficult to get a definitive answer as to the differences except for virus, and blue-screens. We've not had to deal with either on our PC's.

The monitors seem better than the PC's but I suppose that could be changed with a separate purchase. I would want a computer with lots of storage and memory and pricing a Mac seems very high. If it were simpler for him to use, I would buy one tomorrow. It would have to be a desktop as he does not like laptops.

It seems so odd that over all these years my husband never enjoyed working on a computer. Well educated and also quite sucessful at everything he does, computers never 'clicked' with him. He just gets frustrated and angry dealing with them instead of dealing with them in a positive way. He is a doctor and has to deal with computers every day. No one can mess up a computer faster than my husband. Computerized record keeping has become the norm and will expand under the new health-care legislation. He still writes everything by hand, keeps his own written records well organized and refuses to use a computer for them. He doesn't trust them, finds them too time consuming and tedious.

I work for him and had no choice but learn to use them. Photography is the one thing I will not deal with. It is his hobby and what he wants to do full-time when he retires next year. I'd like him to have a computer which could make it a pleasant experience and keep me out of the picture.

Sorry for the long response, and I will take the suggestion to try the Apple store with him.

Jane

• asolo
    13 years ago

OK, here's what you want to do:

Get a flash-drive or CD and burn a bunch of your husband's photos and files onto it. Call the Apple store and arrange for a specific time-block with a "personal shopper" so you don't have to diddle around waiting for anybody to help you. Give them the CD or flash-drive and have them show you how iPhoto and the rest of the apps would work with your actual photos and files.

Any Mac you buy comes with those apps -- and NO crapware -- already installed so what the demo-person shows you will be exactly what you'll have if you choose to buy. Even if you decide not to go the Mac route, I think you'll find it an interesting experience.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I don't see much of a difference in the file systems between a Mac and a PC, or the way they can be used. To use an analogy, a hard drive is just like a big filing cabinet. You can organize it in lots of different ways and what works for me might not work for you. I organize pictures by date. A folder for each year and individual folders for every date I upload photographs. I don't know if that's the best method, but it's the one I use and it works for me.

I really like Asolo's suggestion of taking some photographs with him and playing with a Mac. Of course, the Macs in the store will probably not have Photoshop installed. iPhoto is nice but it's really for minor adjustments and viewing. Functionally, it is pretty similar to Picassa. Although it's got a few little tricks that make it pretty nice to use.

He's right on with the lack of crapware too. Nothing but Mac. :-)

• vala55
    13 years ago

When I bought my first PC, I became driven to learn because I wanted to master it. I am not an expert, but I can do what I want to do and thanks to the experts on this site I can protect my computer. At the age of 73 my learning skills and the drive are waning. It is a chore to learn new things. So in my opinion you should buy him what he is used to, no unnecessary changes unless he is aware of it and wants to learn. If the new OS has "set to classic look" you want to advise him that he can change it to look familar.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

if he is very interested in photography is he currently involved in any groups or clubs? If so that is where he needs to be asking his questions since those people will be using one with the same tasks he will have. Most of the art based people I know do use Mac and swear by them for the abilities it has for those specific type tasks. I have never used one so I have no personal knowledge at all.
    I do often go to this forum I am going to link here and ask for assistance in doing projects and they are absolutely awesome people and you could ask there and see what the people that are using it for their photo projects have to say.

Digital Imaging

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

More to the point, what will he be DOING with the computer?

If he is doing digital photography and wants to photo edit, how much will you pay to get him the RAM and graphics card he needs.

Photoshop runs on Mac or PC, so does the GIMP ... but I paid 1/2 what a MAC with the processing power of my current PC would have cost.

• asolo
    13 years ago

FWIW........even the cheapest iMac comes with 4gb ram. The OS takes up about 1/2gb. Even the lowest-offered graphics cards are excellent for photo-editing purposes. Mo/Betta available if you want. ALL of which can be examined and worked with for free at the Apple Store so you can make up your own mind.

If you want to compare capacities, features, processing power, etc. etc. have at it. I used to do that with my PC purchases for 15-20 years before this. Interesting, put pointless, imho. Happy to let the test-lab boys argue about it. For the last five years I've simply had a fast, clean, trouble-free machine on my desk that does everything I've wanted it to do every day with zero problems of any kind. Three major OS upgrades in that time that were all easy with no glitches. Everything works all the time. Some may think I paid too much. I certainly don't.

I do agree what he intends to do with the machine is primary. IMHO, lack of problems and maintenance are ALSO primary. In the beginning, support services may be primary. AppleCare pretty much stands alone there.

I suggest, again, go to the store. Take some photos and files with you. See what you think.

• davidyattes
    13 years ago

Another point to consider: All Macs come with AppleÂs excellent iLife suite, which provides tools for editing, organizing, and sharing photos, video, music, and more. Bargain-basement PCs come with much more basic software at best.

Here is a link that might be useful: 17 inch laptop bag

• mxyplx
    13 years ago

I bought a Mac desktop a couple years ago - mailorder. Had 15 days to try it out with your money back and only cost the shipping to return it (as I recall). Nearest stores were 150 miles over 4 mountain passes, 150 miles over 2 passes, 168 miles on flat ground. Shipping charge was a fraction of the driving.

Anyway there's 15 days to play with it plus the switchers forum for help. That's a lot more time than you'd have in a store.

I must say the mantra on that forum seemed to be, "Yes, that is a problem but you can download software to fix it or buy software to fix it."

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I thought your husband may enjoy this posting by Kim Komando with tips for those into photo hobbies.

Here is a link that might be useful: tips

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Raven, he does use Photoshop but prefers the old MS Picture It. Finds Photoshop so difficult and has been taking a course for the past year but still falls back on the old Picture It.

Part of his problem is time. He loves working on photos and is quite good. He belongs to a large Photography Club which meets weekly, plus takes the course. But he has little time to spend because he works long hours at his 'real' job. When he retires in a year, he will have more time to work on his photos. The other thing, he has so many photos. He could have 200 shots of 'almost' the same picture. He uses three camera's and all these shots are downloaded to the computer. He can spend weeks editing one shot while still taking new photo's and downloading them. I can't believe how many photos are on that old machine. As he edits, he saves copies over and over. Then he can't find the photo.

I don't know how people file so many photos in a way that makes it easy to find them. On my computer, I have lots of files as documents and make folders and folders, but I'm more organized. But my documents can't compare to thousands of photos. He winds up with so many sub-folders he can't find anything. He saves some in the wrong places, gets so frustrated with the whole process. I think its a personality thing. He hates all the steps involved saving and would just rather work on the editing. Has absolutely no patience with computers. He does not enjoy using them at all and I don't think anything will change that.

He did ask some of the people at his Club and its a mix. Some swear by Macs and others say it doesn't really matter.

He will go to the Apple store and bring a few photos to try out their computers.

I guess I was hoping for a miracle!

Thanks again,
    Jane

• owbist
    13 years ago

Has absolutely no patience with computers. He does not enjoy using them at all and I don't think anything will change that

Last week I went to help an elderly lady who holds the same view of computers. The instant she hit the power button to start it she was exasperated and nothing had gone wrong. Later I took her to YouTube and found a favourite artist for her, the transformation in her was magic for a few minutes.

• asolo
    13 years ago

"I can't believe how many photos are on that old machine. As he edits, he saves copies over and over. Then he can't find the photo."

FYI, Mac's "Aperture" is about slickest/easiest photo organization program on the planet. It will change his life. Costs $200.00 -- and worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organizing photos with a Mac

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny, Owbist. I know what you mean. He typed in a search for a gallery and when Goggle asked 'do you mean...?' he thought that was so incredible because he had spelled the name wrong. The joy lasted about a minute. He is the only person I know who hates the internet and rarely uses it,

Aslo, that is the type of info I'm looking for. Thank you very much.

Jane

• betsyhac
    13 years ago

I paid an arm and a leg for a Macbook Pro a year ago December (thousands). Last month, my hard drive died. It will cost me $200 + cost of new hard drive (about $100) to fix.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Having fixed a lot of computers over the years, I can assure you that NO manufacturer is immune to hardware failure. Apple doesn't manufacture drives any more than Dell or HP. One would hope that Apple uses premium hardware to match their premium price but even the best drives have a known failure rate and there's nothing anyone is going to do to change that.

• mudlady_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Jane,
    I am 66 and have used a PC for many years. I attended a short computer class once and worked on a Mac. The biggest frustration I recall is that it responded to a single click and I was used to double clicking. I decided that although it would take time to get used to, I wanted to set up my PC to respond to a single click. Since then, I have set up any new computer to single click.
    I have a very difficult problem because I DO NOT intuit anything. I have to read instructions and even then, I may not understand. I have to do a lot of searching for very basic things: most recently, "how to use a touch pad" after I bought a 10.1 inch netbook. I sometimes use a cordless mouse because I still hate a touch pad. Returning to my inability to intuit anything and everything that "normal" users do without thinking, the problem is very real, constant, and extremely frustrating. I have to be very motivated to struggle through learning new concepts. Case in point: I use a cell phone only to make and receive calls. I have been unable to figure out how to send or receive text messages, I can't program functions like the clock or the list of people whose numbers I want to call, I can bring up a list of missed calls, but I can't easily call the person back, etc. I can't download different ring tones even though I would dearly love to find Allison Du Bois' ringtone--from the "Medium." I can find this information online but I can't figure out how to get it into my phone and then select the new app for my phone.
    I am not stupid. I was first a teacher and then a registered nurse and I have two MS degrees, both with high honors. I am simply brain dead in the area of the brain that allows one to intuit while on a computer.
    I think it is absolutely imperative that your husband sees a patient tech in a Mac store and has a chance to experience the differences between Mac and PC.
    Good luck!
    Nancy

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

today Kim Komando had this little program listed for those who do a lot of photo work, it looks like it would be a great tool for helping to organize, especially when you do a lot of work on one picture and it would have only slight differences each time it is saved, it finds that info and puts them all together in the same location. and it is FREE

Here is a link that might be useful: visipics