SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Boomerang time - Son and family home from the Navy

sally2_gw
14 years ago

My son has just completed his time in the Navy, so he and his wife and son have moved in with us for a while, until they get jobs and find a place of their own to live. It's been interesting. I'm loving getting the time with my grandson, which I haven't had much of since he was born, but boy, at 2 1/2 years old, he's a handful! I'm so excited about having them close now. Of course, I won't mind it either, when they are able to move into their own place, but so far, it hasn't been bad having them here, either... maybe a little noisier than I'm used to, but not too bad.

So, the good - being able to get to know my grandson, and seeing all the family again. They've been living near Seattle, which is way too far away.

Getting to share things with my little grandson, Chris, such as cookies. The other day he piped up, Grandma, it's cookie time! Now how can I resist that?! Also, I've discovered he loves vegetables. Now that makes Grandma real proud.

The bad - My poor cats are freaked out with all these "intruders" especially the little one, who is still, slowly, learning how to be nice to the kitties. They spend much of their time hiding, which makes me sad. Also, DIL is allergic to cats, so she's suffering quite a bit. I've been vacuuming much more often than I used to (which is a good thing) and bought an air purifier, but she's still quite uncomfortable.

This is the DIL that doesn't do much cooking, and doesn't like much stuff. The other day I had to run errands after work, and I called them to tell them I'd be late and wouldn't be home in time to make supper, but there are left overs in the fridge. I finally got home around 8, and discovered they'd had popcorn for supper. That's okay for adults, but it's not much supper for a child. I immediately got out the left overs and heated some up for Chris, but his appetite had been ruined by the popcorn and he barely touched his supper. So, I know now that if I'm not home to feed this poor child, he's going to starve. I guess it's one of those things that they've been doing all his life, but now that it's in my face, I don't know how to handle it. I'll just feed him as best I can while they are here, and hope DIL learns something, but I doubt it.

So, I guess I'll be busier than normal, and won't have quite as much time here, but I'll try to check in as often as I can.

Sally

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz