SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Kindle users, I have questions, pls.

teresa_nc7
12 years ago

I'm trying to decide a) if I want a Kindle and b) which Kindle do I want. Everyone that I have asked loves their Kindle ereader and I think I would love one too. But I don't entirely understand how they work.

~ can you delete books after you read them or are they forever on the Kindle?

~ what is the difference between wi-fi and 3G?

~ can you choose the font and size you want to use or are they preset?

~ can you check email with a Kindle, pull up directions when on the road?

Thanks for any help!

Teresa

Comments (25)

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I have the Kindle Touch. I do like it, and use it a lot, but it's not perfect. Sometimes it turns more than one page. I spent spome time on the phone with Amazon and they talked me through the factory reset, but it still happened. They sent me a new Kindle, but still occasionally more than one page turns. I don't think they know why some devices do this! Trying to figure this out is vexing my tech-savvy husband. I just figure it's not often enough that it cancels out the positives.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can delete books. You do it on the Amazon site. There's also the option of taking them off the Kindle device but keeping them so you can put them on again if you want to.

2. Wi-fi is a wireless connection to a network. If you don't have a wireless network at home, you can only connect at other places, like coffee shops, that do. Some cities have wireless available throughout the downtown areas.
    As for 3-G, there are two kinds of 3-G Kindles. Some have real 3-G: connect anywhere, like to get to Google maps while you are lost in the car. The 3-G Touch does not have this. It has a limited 3-G: you can connect to Amazon and Wikipedia. I got the cheaper wi-fi Touch, because we have a wireless network and because of the limited 3-G.

3. Yes, you can make the font bigger or smaller. I think there are two font choices, a serif and a sans-serif. I find the default (serif) font very readable, which surprised me because I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.

4. See #2.

I recommend reading the Kindle reviews on Amazon. Maybe some of the forums too. I read all the Touch reviews before asking for it for Christmas. A lot of people did not know what they were buying.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

To be clearer about deleting, you can do it on the device, but then it remains in your Amazon archive. To delete permanently everywhere, you go to the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon site.

• Related Discussions

Howto: Kindle users can read epub and DRM&free ebooks

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks RC for the Kindle book links...just to let you know, there were a couple in the 27 free list that were $4 or so (not free)..but I did manage tosnag a couple...lol
    ...See More

fire fox users, I have a question

Q

Comments (6)
    Like Joann said, right click on the program you want a short cut for and a menu will come up, click on short cut. Most of the time it will say the short cut will be on your desk top. If you are start/programs, you often have to drag it to the desk top or cut and paste it there. I like a clean desktop so I made sure the quick launch was activated and I put it in there. It is the items just to the right of start on the task bar.
    ...See More

A ? for regular Kindle users please

Q

Comments (8)
    I have the 'Touch'--and haven't been able to get to the internet with mine, either (although it's supposed to be possible). I can access Amazon to order books. I've never seen a special offer that looked inappropriate (meaning sexual content or images, nor anything violent). Just a word, though--I'd strongly recommend adding a few $$$ so you can get them the touch version. With that, they can download and play some fun word games (not sure how they'd be able to play them on the basic K), and turning pages and other operations are much easier with the touch screen.
    ...See More

kindle users - a new product for you...

Q

Comments (4)
    That whole site is quite brilliant. Someone with too much spare time has put together a wonderful parody. Excellent - thanks for pointing me to it. I'll have to get the "crispy bacon" smell !
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    12 years ago

You can also "borrow" books from many library web sites. In mine you can "keep" them for three weeks. After that time, it disappears from your Kindle.

I want one, too, but will probably get the Kindle Fire for web access. Only drawback I see is that screen is more reflective than the other Kindles.

You sure can spend a lot of dough on electronic toys!

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, CC! I have read some of the K reviews and looked at the comparison chart for all the Kindles. I think I am leaning toward the Touch also, but just had trouble finding anwers to some basic questions.

Do you have to turn back to the previous page to get to the next page when it acts up or what do you do? Surely you don't skip a page?

A co-worker has a K that has a keyboard down at the lower edge, but she said she doesn't really use it ever. I think she just uses the K for reading books, which is primarily the reason I want one, but to read email or look up directions when I'm away from home might be helpful.

Teresa

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Teresa, you just go back a page (or more) by touching the left side of the screen. The skipping is not something that happens to everybody, but I decided against sending for a third Kindle to try to get a perfect one. The nature of touch screen makes the problem a real puzzle.

Pam, cool as the Fire is, it isn't as good for prolonged reading. It's not just more reflective, it's more eye-straining. Jeff Bezos says you need both!

Here's something kind of ovbvious that nobody thinks about, and that freaks some people out when they discover it. The Touch can't work in landscape mode. So if you need to look at pdf's in landscape it's not for you.

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

~ can you delete books after you read them or are they forever on the Kindle?

Amazon will store your books in the "cloud" for free. There they exist in an "archive" and you can send books up or download them again whenever you like.

~ what is the difference between wi-fi and 3G?

Wi-fi only works where there is wi-fi access - so at home or at a coffee shop with free wi-fi for example.

3G (monthly fee through ATT or Verizon probably), allows you to be online anywhere you can get a connection. If you get 3G service, you can still use wi-fi access when that is available.

~ can you choose the font and size you want to use or are they preset?

There are multiple size options. I don't know about font options.

~ can you check email with a Kindle, pull up directions when on the road?

There is a built-in email application. Directions/maps - that you will need to download an app for. But the Kindle Fire doesn't have GPS, so you won't get actual Navigation. You will also need 3G service if you intend to use it on the road.

Word on the street is that the Fire will have significant upgrades later this year, if you want to wait.

I use Kindle reader on my iphone and ipad. Kindle reader is cool because if you have multiple gadgets, Amazon will send your ebooks to any of the gadgets. So DH and I can share anything we buy on both our gadgets, no extra charge.

I think your decision should hinge on whether you want a book reader or an all-around tablet. Get the Fire or any Kindle for book reading. I wouldn't recommend it to use as a general-use tablet computer for now.

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone!

I went with the Kindle Touch because I basically wanted to have a reader and decided I didn't need the 3G. I did a check of books on my reading list today and most of them were there, which is more than I can say for our little local library. :o(

There are so many cute cases on Etsy, but I think I can make one for myself! Can't wait!

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Good for you. My mom has the Kindle Touch and loves it.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Teresa,

Thanks for this thread. I can't hold a book any more nor easily flip paper pages so I've been considering a Kindle also. This thread has really been of help 'cause I had similar questions. Still haven't made up my mind but at least feel better informed.

Enjoy that Kindle Touch!

/tricia

• dedtired
    12 years ago

I agree that the Fire is not ideal a a tablet. If that's what you want, get an ipad (for about $400 more!). My laptop works just fine at home. I would like to have an ereader though.

I also hear good things about the Samsung Galaxy tablet. Costs the same as an ipad.

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Tricia they make a leather like case for my kindle fire that you can turn into a book stand. I find the fire to be heavier thn DH's kobo reader but the case turning into a stand is great. I can also stand it up to read something from it I want to type into the computer. I also have been working on transferring my knitting patterns to PDF and putting them on the fire.

Dedtired if the Samsung galaxy tablet is anything like the last two Samsung tv's we had run, don't walk, the other way. We will never buy another Samsung anything. Two Samsung tv's in three years and when the second died like the first we went to a panasonic. It's lasted longer than the first Samsung did. First was replaced under warranty. They would not give us a warranty on the rePlacemnt and it didn't make it any longer than the one it replaced.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Tami,

Thank you. That's really good to know. I believe I've decided on the Kindle Fire & hope to get one this weekend. I'll be sure to get a stand!

/tricia

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tricia,
    One thing I found out in my research, the Fire does not have the same screen as the other Kindles and because of that, long periods of reading ebooks on the Fire may cause more eye strain than when reading on the other Kindles. You might want to check into this.

Teresa

• triciae
    12 years ago

Teresa,

I've had eye plugs for awhile now. So my reading time on any small gadget is going to be limited. I wonder if the store will let me hold/look for a few minutes to compare? :)

It would be easier to order from Amazon but I know I've got to physically take a look before plunking down the dough. I hope I don't come home empty handed but that's a possibity, I guess. Maybe, I'll wait another week. I've got an appointment next Tuesday for a conference call at my doctor's office with the JH doctor. I could ask them for recommendations.

/t

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Tricia, you can see Kindles at Best Buy.

• lindac
    12 years ago

And, tricia....Kate Spade makes the cutest little cover, with a built in stand!!
    I also love my Fire.
    Linda c

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

These are the ultimate Kindle covers. Different sizes for all kinds of e-readers. The Fire ones turn sideways to make a stand. Way expensive, but I covet one for my Kindle Touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oberon leather covers

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Tricia, my KF will read portrait and landscape style. The cover I have makes it look like a book with a semi hard cover, and the KF just slides into a slot/pocket in the cover, and as you fold the cover you can either hold it like a book or turn the cover into the stand. I've only had it a little over a week, but really like it. Do make sure you buy the correct cover for the kindle (or any ereader) that you buy, as they are NOT universal. Definitely go to Best Buy and check out all of them, not just the various kindles. I'm sure you will enjoy it! Sending good wishes for the desired results of your dr's confrence call.

Tami

• lindac
    12 years ago

And, tricia....Kate Spade makes the cutest little cover, with a built in stand!!
    I also love my Fire.
    Linda c

• teresa_nc7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Kindle Touch arrived yesterday and I've already got 14 books in it and am reading while I work! I really like the Kindle a lot - so easy to read, hold, and turn the pages with just a touch of the screen. And I've hinted to my sons that Amazon gift cards would be just the ticket when Mother's Day, birthday, and Christmas roll around!

Teresa

• Gina_W
    12 years ago

Whoo-Hoo!! Clap-clap!

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

I'm glad you like it, Teresa!

• User
    12 years ago

Does anyone here have a Kobo?

I'm serious considering buying a Kobo reader. I like the idea of being able to download in other forms like PDF.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Kobo Touch

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Ann, you can download pdf's onto Kindles. The problem I mentioned above is just with the Kindle Touch. Because of how it works, it can't do landscape mode, and that makes some pdf's too hard to use.

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Ann, I got my DH a kobo for father's day last year. I kind of wish that's what mine was, because you can use all formats with it, but I can always ues his, and he keeps telliong me that I can read any format on the kindle, but he'll just have to show me how! The kobo does not do color. It will do pdf's and landscape. I can do pdf's on the kindle fire. You can download the free adobe app for it. You can also email them to your kindle address.