SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

weight loss suport

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I have in the past seen some people here mention that they want to be healthier or lose weight. I don't know if anyone else is interested in starting a support thread for people that want to lose weight, but I would like to. If no one else needs it, I for one certainly do! Several months ago, I tried to minimize my time on the forum thinking that time here would inspire me to make foods that I shouldn't be eating. That was the wrong decision... I think I should have come for support instead!

Time to embarrass myself...

Well, right now I'm heavier (and more disgusted) than I have ever been at 217 lbs (6 feet tall... and my size 36 pants were cutting my circulation off so I just bought 38!). I'd like to get down to 165... like I was in high school. I wonder if losing 5 pounds a month is realistic, or too ambitious? I've tried to lose weight before, but it's always half hearted attempts that I don't stick with. I do eat when I'm stressed or bored... I think that the emotional connection to food is the biggest problem.

I've been drinking only water and unsweetened tea... sometimes organic fat free milk for about the last two weeks. I've been avoiding fast food and taking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to work for lunch like I was in elementary school... our microwave at work was lost in a remodel so I can't heat anything up. I'm starting a new rule that I am not allowed to eat while watching TV. I may even put my love seat and chair from the living room in storage and put my Gazelle Freestyle exerciser in front of the TV so I don't have a choice not to exercise anymore.

So, if any of you have any advice to give me, I'd appreciate it. Or, if you'd like to join the journey as well, welcome aboard.

Comments (77)

• Virginia7074
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've lost about 13 pounds since the beginning of November. I have a horrible sweet tooth and find that if I very consciously try to avoid foods that contain white flour, sugar and butter - I can lose weight. That's not to say that I always successfully avoid them.

I also try to eat dinner before 7 p.m. and after dinner - and believe it or not this is a really help - I try to brush and floss my teeth. That way, if I'm tempted to eat something, just knowing that I'll have to brush and floss again usually kills that temptation.

I changed my workout routine so that I go to the health club directly from work. I was stopping at home first, where I'd often get sidetracked and end up not going. Now, I take my workout clothes with me and actually take them into the building with me in the morning, too. The reason for that is that if they've been in the car all day, they're cold, and that would be just one more reason for me not to go to the gym, because I hate putting on freezing cold clothes.

I think it would be nice to be able to check in here from time to time for some encouragement. Great idea!

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Eileen - I like www.thedailyplate.com. It has just about every food in the world and you can track exercise as well.

• Related Discussions

Anybody Tried Hi-Energy Weight Loss Program?

Q

Comments (10)
    Week II in Hi-Energy (post "Detox"): Yesterday was my "first service" visit to the Gilbert, AZ office. (Btw, the contract states you have until 7 days or within 3 days of the first service date to cancel the program, whichever comes first.) Interviewed by a counselor regarding my first week of "Detox" whom when asked admitted to no credentials relating to nutrition, dieting or any medical field. After explaining the program guide booklet and selecting my food choices for purchase ($148.69--I bought extra boxes to accomadate food choices), she administered a 10-lead electrocardiogram. I learned this is a 5 and 1 program where I eat six (6)times a day. Five (5) times with their "Medifast" food and one (1) time, i.e. dinner from my home refrigerator. Dinner, or "Lean & Green", in one sentence is basically any lean meat, e.g., fish, chicken, pork, turkey, lamb and so on. You can go meatless with eggs. The "Green" is broken down chartwise into a low, moderate and highest carb count listing from their guide. Bottom line: After listening to the counselors about taking the upcoming urine test for Ketones, studying the guide and the Medifast food boxes, the Hi-Energy program offered here in Arizona--is the very same Medifast program offered online, or what is is offered at any Medifast facility (e.g. Texas). Online, you are offered an opportunity to start a franchise or join the program. See the link: http://www.medifast1.com/index.asp and you will know "Hi-Energy." Everything is there to include the program guides and food information. However, the this rabbit hole goes even deeper. These programs work by spilling ketones, or more simply put, changing the body metabolism to primarily burning fat stores in leiu of carbohydrates. At the deepest depth of this rabbit hole--you will find Robert C. Atkins, M.D. He wrote a #1 best seller called: "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution" 2002 latest edition for $7.99. May he rest in peace. I own this book and lost 20 pounds on the Atkins diet serveral months ago. I've kept off the weight because my girl-friend who does the cooking always has presented my dinners with lean and green! Btw, a prevailing media misconception of Atkins is that there are no carbs on this diet. Actually, the first week "limits" carbs to 20 grams to induce ketosis, and thereafter to around 40 grams per day. If you look at carb gram counts in different foods-you will notice this is an abundance of food. It's dark in this hole . . . let me get my flashlight out . . . alias Hi-Energy at $924.00 plus food, or the Atkins book at $7.99 plus the frig and sensible grocery shopping? Here is a link that might be useful: Medifast is Hi-Energy
    ...See More

Weight loss secrets(??)

Q

Comments (2)
    Congratulations on your weight-loss, and thank you for sharing your success in 2008. After 10 years foward to today, April 2018, do you still keep the 50 lbs. off? I'm 3 lb. over regular BMI, and I find it's a daily-battle to go under my BMI at age 56. In the summer I can easily go under normal-body-mass index (down to 118 lb), but in the winter, I usually gain 5 lbs in my cold zone 5a. I find that having a buddy to journal & be accountable to really helps me to cut down the amount of food. If anyone interested, please message me, thanks.
    ...See More

I can relate...weight loss efforts

Q

Comments (9)
    I was in Dollar Tree. They had $1 Jillian Michaels work out videos. One was Yoga, one was abs and so on. I hated going to a gym workout class and having the instructor YELL at everyone. But...these...I like. :0)
    ...See More

Anyone Taking Ozempic for weight loss?

Q

Comments (62)
    my clothes were getting tighter and i just refused to 'give in' and buy a bigger size. TBH, i was not heavy but i just refused to fall into 'oh we are older, its just what happens' category. my friend introduced me to THM and it changed everything. basicallly, you do not mix your healthy carbs and fat in the same meal. eg.: eggs with bacon/sausage and 1/2 avocado OR egg whites with veggies on sprouted bread chicken thighs with buttered veggie (broccoli) OR white meat chicken over a bed of lettuce with cucumbers, toms peppers etc and a light dressing (not heavy oils) or on a low-carb wrap/pita it does take some thought, but once you get the hang of it, its easy and automatic. i eat no white anything. no sugar, i do use Truvia. i eat mostly berries as they are least amount of natural sugar. i eat every 3-4 hours, not in between, this is good for your digestion and metabolism. i do have Hashimoto's for about 25-30 years now, and actually my med dose has recently gone down and my thryoid is not as swollen. my Endo is very pleased. i do my best! to not eat after dinner. i walk 5 days a week (3-4 miles), Follow the THM plan and use their recipes which are fabulous. Even DH likes them! BP is perfect, Cholestrol is 180 although my LDL is a slightly above 100, always was since my 30's - genetics?? i am not saying everyone is the same, but this diet lifestyle really works for me. good luck to everyone!
    ...See More
  • Karigraphy
    15 years ago

Hi all - I have an ongoing struggle with keeping weight off. Last year, I did WW and had success while I stuck to the plan. If I strayed from the plan on vacation or around a holiday, I would gain the weight back quickly.

Then I learned that a medication I was taking to prevent migraines is "notorious" for weight gain. It was an uphill battle. I've phased off the meds and I'm ramping up the exercise so I can have a better 2009.

The best I've done is when I'm cooking healthy foods for my family and myself to eat. I love to eat leftover soup as an evening snack. If I don't have good, healthy, hearty things to snack on, I don't do well.

I am not satisfied in the evening with a small snack. I've done better by having a mini meal when I'm hungry - turkey slices or veggie burgers on 1/2 a whole wheat pita, salsa on fat-free chips, apple with LF cheese, a salad, bowl of soup. Those worked into the WW plan if you save points for the end of the day.

Good luck all! Kari

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deanna, I made the unfried rice recipe last night. It's pretty good. I followed the recipe exactly, but I used less soy sauce because the last time I used the amount called for in a recipe, it was WAY too salty (and I like salty!).

I'm at work now and I just refused fried chicken AND part of Kit Kat bar that some other co-workers offered. It's soooooo hard! I guess I'll start the victory chant, "This is how we overcome" every time I refuse temptation!

Someone please tell me it gets easier with time! I'm so used to indulging in whatever I crave... it's weird to smack my own hand and say NO!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Bobby you just have to create a new persona for yourself. A person who eats healthy and doesn't like sweets. You just don't do sweets and unhealthy foods--got that?! I know you're a meat and potatoes boy, but you have to learn to include vegetables in with the mix. I eat stir fry a couple times a week, it seems to me that's a great way to learn to like veggies--they all taste pretty good stir fried--use a tiny bit of oil and veg. or chicken broth. You can buy lots of frozen stir fry veggie mixes these days. Buying a non-stick wok for about 15 bucks was one of the best investments I have made. I'd start looking for a used bike or treadmill to go on while you watch TV. Exercise is really the only thing that will help you get a handle on this and curb your cravings. Get some walking clothes for the cold. I can't imagine it's that cold in FLA! I'm lucky in that there is a free gym where I work, so I do the eliptical for 30 min. when it's too cold to walk. I think for a guy like you an exercise bike or a eliptical would be a good investment. Buy it used, you can get some great deals. Become a soup and salad king, instead of a baking boy!!

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Lpink, that's good advice! and bravo for the willpower Bobby!!

My husband took some photos of me this weekend when we were riding and I was mortified. I deleted every single one of them. We have had a layoff of horseback riding since last spring (don't ask!) and are just getting started again.
    Anyway, I had on a big coat, riding tights and a helmet and was sitting on my shaggy and out of shape horse. I looked like a chubby cheeked Michelin man. It certainly gave me some more motivation to get this extra weight off!

I'm posting here today, because although I'm eating well and have cut way back on portion size, I haven't lost any weight this week.... rather disappointing, but I'm determined not to let that derail my efforts. So I'm down 5 lbs, since Jan 1, and I guess that's not so bad.

• triciae
    15 years ago

Bobby, back before I had my spinal surgery & before my diagnosis with lupus I was training to be a competitive bodybuilder. I learned a lot about diet & weight control from my trainer.

Lpink is right. Diet without exercise doesn't work long term. Diet alone will result in a loss of water & muscle tissue with little body fat being burned. Weight control (and body shape) is a combination of diet, aerobic exercise, & strength training. Muscle weighs more than body fat. I started my training program at 117 lbs. & 6 months later...weighed 121 lbs. At first you might think, "Gosh, I want to LOSE weight not gain!" BUT, while I weighed a bit more my body fat went from 19 to 14. Three more months took it down to 11. I got stuck there for a couple years.. I needed to be below 10 to be competitive so I gave up my aspiration of competing but continued strength training because it shaped my body like nothing else can. I went from a size 8 jean to a size 6 (size 4 skirt) even though I weighed more.

My DH wanted to drop 20 pounds a few years ago. He'd stopped exercising & it had caught up with him. Here's the dinner meal I put together for him. He still eats this meal once/week.

Large dinner plate full of mixed greens (must include at least one dark green like spinach);

On top add:

5 Cherry Tomatoes;
    6 Whole Almonds;
    1/2 Apple (UNPEELED & thinly sliced OR
    1/2 Cup Melon Cubes (watermelon, cantelope, honeydew);
    4-6 Sliced Strawberries (or other berry);
    2 Tablespoons Raw Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds;
    6-10 Red Grapes
    1/4 Cup Beans (green, kidney, black, etc.)
    2-3 Sliced Radishes;
    1/2 Cucumber (UNPEELED & sliced);
    Red Onion (sliced, as much as you want);
    3-4 Whole Olives
    6 Whole Wheat Homemade Croutons (about 1" square)

On top of all of that add...

5-6 ounces of Salmon or SB Chicken Breast (we don't like SB Chicken so we always use the Salmon). I sear the salmon in a skillet & then finish in a 375 degree oven. Season with a light brushing of olive oil, salt, & pepper.

Place the piece of Chicken or Salmon on top of the huge salad. NO DRESSING. You won't even miss the dressing. There's plenty of moisture in the salad from the greens, fruit, & tomatoes.

It takes about 20 minutes of chewing to reach satiation. So, eat slowly. This is a good dinner because there are a lot of "chews" on that plate! There's also a variety of flavors...crunchy (nuts/seeds/croutons), sweet (fruit), savory (chicken/salmon), etc. It's an attractive meal to look at also...lots of bright colors & textures. Fix the 'salad' on a huge dinner plate...pile the greens high.

Other things you can add with abandon to the above dinner plate: pea pods, zuchini, red/green peppers, roasted squash, shredded cabbage (red or green).

Don't add: potatoes, rice, more than 6 croutons, pasta, or dressing other than a squirt of lemon or lime juice.

Trust me, you'll feel full, have eaten a very healthy dinner, & not be hungry again in 60 minutes.

Buy a pair of 5 lbs. dumbbells & a good pair of shoes. Start with just some basic curls...lots of reps with low weights. Start walking...at least 5 times/week. Start with 1/2 mile (if you're able) & work towards 3 miles. After 3-6 weeks, start more serious strength training. It's very important to learn how to lift weights correctly to avoid injury. Building your muscle strength will also help prevent that lower back of yours from causing more problems.

I used a personal trainer for 3 months. I considered the cost an investment in my health. He taught me how to lift, how much to lift, how to use weights to accomplish my body-shaping goals, HOW TO EAT, & also worked with me on an aerobic program that worked. I met with him 3 times/week for 90 minutes. Even today, I consider that some of the best money I've ever spent.

If you like the sound of this dinner...give me a shout out & I'll give others that DH & I really like.

Good job, Bobby, for recognizing the need to make some changes.

/tricia

• netla
    15 years ago

Here is some of what I learned in the program I am in (I'm probably repeating some of what the others have written):

Start by keeping a food diary for a week (your normal eating) and count the calories. Find out what the normal calorie intake is for a person your age and gender, and also find out what the minimum calorie intake is. Start exercising for a minimum of 50 minutes a day (it does not all have to be in one session) and reduce your calorie intake so that you burn more than you eat, but never eat less than the daily minimum, or your body will go into starvation mode and start burning muscle instead of fat.

Slow weight loss is healthier than fast, and you are less likely to put the weight back on if you go slowly.

Learn to listen to your body and recognise the early signs of fullness. Don't stuff yourself - always stop eating when you begin to feel slightly full. If you do stuff yourself once or twice, don't let it make you feel guilty, just pick yourself up and get back on the wagon.

Several small meals are better than one or two big ones, but grazing is not good. I eat breakfast, a small mid-morning snack (typically an apple or banana), lunch, a small midday snack, and dinner, always at the same time and try never to leave the table more than slightly full. In the beginning I felt slightly hungry before each meal, but now my stomach has adjusted and I feel fine and have enough energy all day long.

Don't forget to exercise. People who do not do hard physical labour, e.g. office workers like myself, need a minimum of 30 minutes exercise a day just to stay healthy, and for weight loss 50 minutes is the minimum. I was advised to do 50 to 90 minutes of exercise per day, in 2-3 sessions, combined with the eating regimen I mentioned above.

This advice came from from a doctor and a nutritionist.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Netla, you sound like my doc and nutritionist...I just wish I would listen to them. I like food soooo much.

I get at least 30-45 minutes of sexercise 5 days a week. I'm beginning to bump that up to two 30 minute sessions, 5-6 days a week. I've lost 5 lbs. since Jan. 1 (no, not a resolution). I just need to get back in the swing of moving all my muscles and joints again.

I've been watching my portions and measuring my food until I get a handle on how much a cup of something is. Far to many times I tend to over indulge myself so I'm really watching portions.

I'm really hungry these days but I know that will change in the near future.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

RR, I really like your method, especially that "sexercise" part, LOLOLOL. Twice a day, five or six days a week, half an hour at a time? Now, girl, stop bragging about your sex life like that, I'm a NEWLY WED and don't manage twice a day....most days. (grin)

Annie

• mtnester
    15 years ago

I was going to join in the weight loss support group, but I think I'll join the sexercise club instead! LOL, riverrat!

I lost 80 pounds about 12 years ago (I went from size 20 to size 8!), mostly by sensible eating. I also took a daily 1-1/2 mile walk during my lunch break. I kept most of that weight off for 9 or 10 years. Lately, though, my clothes are getting too snug, and it's time to get back on the program.

I don't think I've changed my eating pattern in major ways (although I know the minor changes add up, over the long run). But since I left my office job, I've been working at home, and I don't get enough exercise. I hereby VOW to begin walking again, in my neighborhood, in the early spring! Also, it's far too easy now to get snacks from the fridge. I start with the "legal" stuff (veggies and fruit, tea and soup), but my resolve seems to break down in the late afternoon, and I start craving carbs. I'm going to watch this thread for ideas for healthy, low-cal snacks and other strategies to control my appetite.

Bobby, I'm so glad you started this thread!

Sue

• stacy3
    15 years ago

OMG, that one is not likely to be forgotten anytime soon, riverrat! hee hee! Talk about a Freudian typo!

I found some little bags of almonds at BJ's the other day - stuck a few in my purse for those moments of hunger when I'm not home.

I'm restricting carbs quite a bit for these first 4 weeks (2 more to go) then they're reintroduced a little for 4 weeks, then the last 4, even more. It's all paired with pretty strenuous workouts every day - but I wanted some drastic results that I could then work on maintaining.

It seems I've tried limiting portions and eating sensibly the past 4 years or so and watched my weight go up a couple pounds each year and I"m not happy about it. I'm still in the "normal" range, but I don't even feel like myself. Probably middle age paired with thyroid issues, I suppose - it gets so much more difficult to stay in shape.

I wanted to build more muscle to up my metabolism and to be able to play soccer this spring in the yard with Will without feeling like I was going to pass out - and take him swimming at the Y without being embarassed about walking out in my bathing suit.

What I was doing wasn't working so Scott and I are both doing this together and I so hope we continue. It is difficult as he travels so much...harder for him to keep it up - but we both need it.

However, I will mention to him - RR's method, and I'm betting he'll be quite interested...:-)

Stacy

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Yup, need a spell checker...blush, blush.

Ummm, Charles would be quite interested in my method, also.

Oh well, when you re-read that post it sounds like I'm a se* addict. "I'm really hungry these days but I know that will change in the near future". ~sigh~

• punamytsike
    15 years ago

Karen, switch to Firefox, it has built in spell checker ;)

I use sparkpeople dot com for keeping my food diary. You can also keep your exercise log if you want to and it is all free. What I like about sparkpeople, you can put in your own recipes and it calculates all the nutrition values, so if you home cook a lot, that is good. They also have extensive library of all kinds of foods, including restaurant ones.

I need to loose 30 lb. Just started again recording everything I eat, and also got an exercise bike and have been doing 30 - 40 min 5 days a week. I did not do any exercise before, so that is already big step for me. Will see if an how it works and in the future I am planning to increase the time I spend on the bike.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I don't know that either Joe or I could handle the sexercise that often! Maybe after Joe retires..... You're quite the woman RR! You know there was a book back in the late 70's called something like "Weight Loss through Sex" .... or something similar. I worked in a book store and it was actually a big seller. If I remember though it wasn't a serious book, so I guess I'll scratch that idea off my list of how to get back in shape!
    Despite some serious cravings, I mangaged to stay on track yesterday.

Grace

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I read your post, RR, I wondered if you meant to say that or if it was a typo. I was really scratching my head in trying to figure that out.

I'm in the opposite situation. I can't have sexercise to get in shape... I need to get in shape so that other people will want to have sexercise with me!

For me the big key is to stop indulging. Which I've done pretty well for the last week or so! Instead of saying to myself, "NO YOU CANNOT HAVE THAT AT ALL PERIOD"... I say, "Well, it's there. If you want it, have it, but you don't need it. It'll still be there if you change your mind." That seems to work... knowing that I can give in if I want to, but have the power to say no is a really big thing! I'm off today so I will exercise... I think 90 minutes is pushing it though. Maybe 50. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I broke it up. Maybe I could exercise before each meal for 30 minutes! I am going to look at the gym nearest me... even though I don't want to sign a contract I may be persuaded if the salesman is cute... Maybe I can buy a years worth of membership for one lump sum.

Tricia... all those things on one plate would be overwhelming. I can't imagine mixing fruit with those other things! I do like fruit salad though.

Lpink... I can't stop baking. I like doing it too much. I am pausing until I get myself under control... but I think after that once a month would be fine. Especially if I share what I make so I only have 1 or 2 servings myself.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Sexercise. I'm trying not to laugh out loud at the office.

Bobby that is one of my pet peeves -- people who bake at home and then bring it into the office to fatten up the rest of us! There is always some fattening item around here, not to mention a 30 second walk to the cafeteria.

Has anyone here seen a doctor about weight loss? My co-worker has lost at least 60 pounds with the help of a doctor. She is taking appetite supressants, which she swears are not getting her hyper.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I completely understand about the baking Bobby, I'm a baker too, I love home baked goods. Now my challenge is to find lower calorie, more healthy recipes, which I do have quite a few options. I also freeze the stuff and pull it out a little at a time. I do think however, that when you are first starting out it helps to abstain completely until you loose your craving for it. It also depends on the type of person you are. Some people can eat just one of something every once and a while and be OK. I am one of those people. But my BF has to completely avoid all the stuff, since he says once he starts he can't stop. So I think there are two schools of thought on that and two types of personalities. The thing is, I eat a few sweets but I cannot begin to tell you all the stuff I turn down. What helps me turn it down is I know how much better I will feel and look if I continue to be a person who doesn't eat sweets and refined carbs. I'm not saying not ever ever, but it's not part of my daily lifestyle. Yes, I'll eat a homeade cookie now and again, but I had to stop the daily donut and coffee break, that's the difference. Now I snack on a small amount of lowfat cheese, almonds and maybe a small piece of fruit, usually an apple. Or granola and a small cup of yogurt, (I buy it plain and add my own sweetener--the presweetened stuff is overdone), or fruit and cottage cheese. Or hummus and carrots and green pepper which I really like too. I focus on cooking and eating the healthy foods, which luckily I like, so there is not that much of a deprivation feeling. I think it helps to be pro nutrition and pro health rather than focus on what you can't have. Those wonderful comfort foods of the past that were filled with saturated fat date back to the days when people did hard physical labor all day long! And lived in very sparsely heated homes!

It's easy to cut the sugar in baking recipes--just sub 2/3 cup sugar for every one cup. Also use two egg whites instead of one whole egg. You can cut the oil by using some applesauce or yogurt, depending on the recipe. Sometimes I'll sub lowfat milk for whole or non-fat yogurt for sour cream too, depending on the recipe. I don't go completely no fat, but I do cut it a bit which is not noticable. I haven't had success with Splenda, although some people like it. I find it is OK for fresh stuff like smoothies or yogurt or fruit salad, but the longer it sits the more chemical tasting the stuff gets, and at the rate I eat baked goods they usually acquire an off taste after a few days. Also, lower fat and sugar baked goods don't keep as well--hence my need now to freeze stuff. I think subbing part Splenda in a baked good is OK if you know it is going to get eaten up right away. I wouldn't sub all Splenda though, just maybe 1/4 to 1/2, depending on how you like it.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Bobby, as I read that post over me scratched my head too. Some of it really sounds like I was serious about the whole sexercise bit...Freudian slip I guess, or just a plain old typo. Tee Hee! I lol at what you said "I'm in the opposite situation. I can't have sexercise to get in shape... I need to get in shape so that other people will want to have sexercise with me!"

dedtired, I have a friend that is seeing a doctor about weight loss. She has lost 15 lbs. in 3 months with the help of an injection that contains B12 and something else. She does not take an appetite suppressant.

My other friend is taking an appetite suppressant called Alleplex (I'm not sure of the spelling). She has lost 50 lbs. in 5 months. Another friend took it for 3 months lost all the weight she wanted and slowly gained it all back.

Yesterday, I ate over my 1200 calorie a day amount. So back on track today with a little extra exercise. One good thing is I lose another lb.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think an appetite suppressant would work for everyone... I know I never eat because I'm hungry. I eat because I'm bored or stressed, or because the food just tastes really good and I enjoy the entire process. I can't remember the last time I was actually hungry!

Lpink... you are right. Abstaining from baking right now is the best course of action for me right now. Do they make a patch for that? LOL. I've done some research into baking with Stevia (I wouldn't do Splenda or other artificial sweeteners... don't need cancer too!) and whole wheat pastry flour. I concluded that the best thing for me to do is to bake normally in moderation and give most of it away.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I have got to stop grocery shopping when I am hungry or stressed. Last night I was both of those. I worked until 7, was starving and stressed about work. I stopped at the Acme for acouple things and also bought a box of mini-muffins. I ate two before dinner, in the car.

I put the groceries in the back seat so I was doing one of those twisty-reach-into-the-back-seat-while-driving motions to get them. Fortunately they were in the bag I could reach. All the rest of the food in that bag went flying all over the back seat. I had to retrieve cold cuts (wrapped) from under the car seat.

When I am stressed, I crave comfort food which for me is carbs. Last night, a carrot would not have done it for me.

I did put the rest of the mini-muffins in the freezer, so I hope I will parcel them out to myself, or my son will find them and eat all of them.

However, I did use restraint in not taking a sample of a gooey cake that was on the bakery counter. It was sooo tempting.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Well, last week was a no go for any more weight loss. Hubby lost 2 more lbs. while I didn't lose anything but my sense of humor. Wahhhhh! :-(

We did and ate the exact same things. It's not fair (pout). Although this week I have some sort of intestinal virus that has wiped me out. I'm sure I'll have no problems losing this week (but it's not been fun).

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Garden, I experience the same thing with my husband. Of course he weighs close to double what I do, so it's only natural that the weight comes off faster.

I decided that I wasn't going compare notes with him this time. He knows I'm trying to lose and that's good enough.

Yesterday, I had a morning book group meeting and splurged with 1/2 a slice of cake with my coffee. I'm not sure if it was the cake, but I had a headache for the rest of the day that I couldn't get rid off and I was exhausted that afternoon. It cured me from wanting anything sweet for a while.

Grace

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

Any suggestions for low-cal healthy dinners that are easy to fix? We need to lose a lot of weight and I need to save some time and money at the same time. We were eating a bowl of cereal and milk for dinner for a while but I've gotten tired of that (and cereal isn't really cheap). I'm burned out on cooking right now and need a break from planning different meals everyday. Any suggestions?

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Chef Salad (minus the cheese or use fat free, and fat free dressing)
    Lean meat (chicken, fish, beef sirloin), canned or frozen veggies, baked (nuked even)potato with fat free sour cream and skip the butter or use a light substitute.
    Breakfast! Eggs, lean ham or turkey bacon and fruit, skip the toast.
    Vegetable soups.
    Shrimp cockatails and fresh veggies (maybe a FEW crackers w/ cheese).
    Pot roast (as lean as you can find) with carrots and potatoes in the crockpot.

Try cooking when you have more time (weekends in my case)and make up your own TV dinners of sorts.
    Pre-prep veggies.

Clear the junk food out of the house and fill it up with healthier snacks. Baked chips, veggies, whole wheat pastas, fat free dairy products, etc.

Lifetime brand soy cheese is really pretty good! It melts as long as it's inside a dish (burrito filling, casseroles etc.), not so good on top, but you can use it inside and then just a teensy bit of the real stuff for 'meltability' on top if you must! :+)

Splurge on some of the "diet" snack bars, desserts, etc. so you don't feel deprived! The weight watchers chocolate cake bars are good!! The Fiber One 'granola' bars are good.

Lots and lots of water! I'm not crazy about plain water so I buy Crystal Light and make that (love Raspberry Ice).

Bobby........how's it going for you?? You started this thread!! :+)

Deanna

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Bobby, I think you are cute as a button as is!

I asked DH if he would help me implement a new weight loss program that RR is on. Knowing Karen, he agreed...initially!

I was doing fine until I got the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". Now I'm having to test my projects - with butter - day after day! It's been a real road block but boy is that bread delicious!

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Cathy, Initially agreeing is agreeing! You lucky dog!!!

I've lost another 2 lbs. I hate my treadmill named Nellie but I'm very faithful to her ;-)

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh good - those are great suggestions Deanna. I'll add that the whole wheat tortillas are my best friend. I fill them with anything. A salad seems different if its inside a tortilla - throw on some feta, or turkey - pepper slices, cucumbers, we've been eating "wraps" a couple times a week.

You could do a stir fry once a week...lean beef or chicken...and loads of veggies.

I haven't really lost any weight...but I feel very different. My tummy is flatter and my muscles are tighter. I think I am replacing fat with more dense muscle, therefore no weight change yet. I've been doing lots of weight bearing exercises, along with cardio and yoga. It switches up each day. I have gone almost a month now and feeling changes makes me want to keep going.

I've gone back up and re-read the posts...Virginia, that is so funny and true about the cold clothes! Grace, 5 lbs, since Jan 1 is great! Karen, sounds like you're right on track - so you're down 7 lbs, huh?

I'm just waiting for my b'fast to digest so I can go get my workout over with.

Stacy

• stacy3
    15 years ago

I knew there were a couple of other things I wanted to add.

The fresh salsa from the produce dept at our supermarket is great too. It's just chopped tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, red pepper, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, poblano and serrano pepper and salt. You could make up a batch of your own to your taste. It gives great flavor to so many things...on top of an egg white omelette, fish, inside a wrap with some tuna...

Also, I try to keep some taczycki in the fridge for the same purpose. Nonfat yogurt (greek if you can get it) with shredded cucumber, dill, EVOO, garlic, S and P. It's a great flavorful topping for so many things.

I'm a "flavor" girl - I can't stand bland tasting things, so these really help.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Cathy... Hope you and Raymond are able to work away those artisan bread calories with RR's method. I made my first loaf of that last week to bring over to my friend who's mom is dying of cancer to go with the beef stew. I had ONE small piece. It looked better than it tasted, but I baked it the same day I made it and I know it needs more time to develop the flavor. Very easy though, and the slashed round loaf was pretty!

I have not jumped on the scale since I started watching what I eat. I have in the past done that and when I didn't see a change, or a big enough change, I got discouraged. I don't know if I'm losing any weight or not, but my behaviors have changed.

I don't even consider fast food as an option anymore. I bring food to work every day. I drink only bottled water at work. At home it's unsweetened decaffeinated tea and fat free organic milk (which though expensive, tastes just at good as regular milk to me... just no Bovine growth hormone which I certainly can do without). I'm KEEPING some kind of soup on hand at all times so I have something quick and relatively healthy. I made an AWFUL split pea soup... I didn't want to buy a whole ham so I used a ham steak and diced it up. Then I got tired before it was done and decided to zap it with the immersion blender so I could go to bed sooner... I usually let it simmer long enough that it breaks down on its own. And, I usually use a real ham and the soup has much more flavor. This batch is a few notches above tolerable. I want to try a pumpkin soup soon since I've never made one before, but most recipes for that have heavy cream in them and that's a lot of calories. If I think I'm tempted to eat after work now, I go straight to bed when I get home. Prudent since I get in between 11:30 and midnight anyway!

I tried some Kashi dark chocolate/coconut granola bars and they are OK. Nice if I'm starving and need a quick fix. I have not had any ice cream or cookies or cakes or anything "fun" since I started this thread. To be honest, it's been so long, I lost my desire for them!

And, though I've moved the exercise machine to the living room, I've not started to use it yet. Every time I stub my toe on it, I am painfully reminded that I should start!

I wish everyone much success. The group of people that comprise this forum are an awesome support system!

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

I haven't hopped on the scale since before I got sick last week as I wanted my system to "balance out". Didn't want to take the chance that I might have "lost" a few lbs (due to dehydration) then get on this week and gain. I'd be so bummed!

Hubs is down 6 lbs this month so far, and I'm still hovering between 3-4 lbs. It's extra sensitive for me since I'm hypothyroid.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Update on our weight loss efforts..... I am still struggling and have only lost 5 lbs this month (so far) but DH is doing REALLY well on the Glycemic Index diet - down 24 lbs since early Dec and blood sugar is consistently low enough to keep the Dr happy too. If I was more dedicated to the diet (like DH is) then I'm sure my loss would be better, but darn it - Mommy *likes* her cocktail when she is making dinner! LOL! Oh yea, DH has given up beer which I'm sure is a BIG part of his weight loss.......

Anyway, even though I am not checking in often, I am still here for all of you that are struggling with those extra pounds.

And around here "at least 30-45 minutes of sexercise 5 days a week." would be some sort of record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

Alexa

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I have been on the diet bandwagon for about a month. I have stopped my rampant weight gaining and dropped three pounds right off the bat. But that was three pounds I had put on in the previous month. But it's been three weeks and I haven't shed a pound. I am trying to loose five more pounds, and then ideally another five to play with. I have cut out all sweets and junk foods, curtailed my carbs, and stopped snacking. I'm watching my fat intake. So I'm not sure what more I can do. I know the main reason I can't loose weight is that my job is so sedentary and I don't do enough exercise (no sexercise here) to counteract it. I do some, but 30 min. of walking or treadmill doesn't counteract nine hours on your butt.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Well I got on the scale this morning and I'm down 4 lbs more!!! Whoo-hoo, that makes 7 lbs this month. My average goal is 5 lbs per month. Go me!

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

I've been doing step aerobics and yoga and jogging in place on my Wii Fit and the darn thing said I've gained 2 1/2 lbs. Ugh. We have a fitness challenge going at work that lasts for 6 weeks--I have to do a minimum of 60 minutes of exercise a week. It's hard to stay motivated when you gain instead of lose.

• deniseandspike
    15 years ago

I'm thinking about switching to more of a low-carb diet and might try out this recipe for califlower popcorn. Sounds delish if it's a little sweet and I might trick the toddler into eating a veggie if he thinks he's eating popcorn.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Tonight we are taking the family out to eat as a celebration for SIL's 30th birthday. It's his favorite place. I avoid going there because it is so good that I always make happy plates. Salad is on my mind for tonight (Bed of lettuce, whole halved Avacado stuffed with Lump crabmeat with hearts of palm. Dressing on the side :-). This really is a meal in itself but I love a certain fish that they cook. I plan on having a few bites of a fillet and passing it on to family. I sure hope I can stick to my plan.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Good for you Kathy!

I'm still looking for the magic bullet. Of course this ongoing project of weight loss would be easier if we didn't hang out on the CF.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I've been feeling like my metabolism was so screwed that I was never going to lose anymore weight. I lost 5 lbs and then have just sat at the same weight for about 10 days even though I thought I was eating like a bird. Finally this AM, I'm down another 2 lbs and I have some hope!

Seriously, I was thinking that if this screwy metabolism thing keeps up, I'll be eating about 500 calories a day by the time I'm in my 80's! Ahh for the days when I could eat icecream almost every night of the week.... well, I guess I still could but would look like Shamu and be shopping for clothes in the drapery department. :0

Grace

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Thanks Cathy! I've also become very aware of how much "food porn" I allow myself to be exposed to....especially the WFD threads! Dangerous! I have to be careful where I hang out too. :-)

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I'm such a failure...we celebrated and I didn't stick to my plan. I had a wedge of lettuce with blue cheese and applewood bacon, a petite filet mignon cooked medium rare with 2 heads of roasted garlic and a cabernet reduction sauce and a nice grand marnier chocolate souffle. A far cry from what my plan was above.

So I'm running in place, running from the mouse, running on the treadmill and power walking outside today. ~sigh~

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I've not made much headway since I fell a couple of weeks ago after that ice storm and hurt my back. I just got back into my Pilates workouts a couple of days ago and I walked to work today, so now I need to get back on track.

I did lose a couple of pounds by eating lots of vegetables but Bruvver has, I think, broken my scale. He liked to jump up and down on it to make the needle move, and I think it's all done moving, LOL. Just as well, I'm better at gauging my success by how my clothes fit instead of the number on the scale.

You go, Kathy, you're doing better than I am. For now. I had a big bowl of broccoli for lunch, good darned thing I like vegetables. For supper I had an egg and a slice of honey wheat toast, no butter.

Annie

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How's it going everyone (congrats on the additional loss, Kathy).

I stepped on the scale to find that the number had dropped from 217 to 212. Of course the last time I was starting to get "serious" about my weight I was 211, so that doesn't say much. At least it's moving in the right direction this time!

RR... don't feel bad about slipping up. I know you know the important thing to do is to get back on track the next day. I "sinned" and had an order of mozzerella sticks the other day. I allowed myself to do it, I wasn't out of control... I really enjoyed the splurge. The next day, I got right back on track, and have been fine since. A couple days ago, I had ONE hot dog for lunch. Without the bread. Now a hot dog isn't exactly health food, but in the past, I've always had two at a time and with the bread.

Still need to exercise. I've only used my Gazelle exercise machine for an hour since I've started watching my weight. Gotta step it up... I don't think an hour a month is going to help the cause very much!

So, how are my friends doing?

• sands99
    15 years ago

Feh, I'm such a post-holiday wad right now, ugh.

I just downloaded Lose It! for my iphone hopefully that will help keep me on track somewhat...

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Well, I don't know how I'm "doing", but I'm certainly doing.

I've gone back to eating the way I like to eat anyway, a little bit here and there. My favorite meal plan is 6 or 7 small meals a day, 100 or 150 calories each. One has to be fruit and one vegetable and only one can be a "treat".

Today was a slice of whole wheat toast and peanut butter for breakfast, an orange on break. A cup of vegetable soup was lunch and I had celery and hummus in the afternoon. A cup of lentils was supper and I had a Granny Smith apple for a snack. Right now I have a small square of dark chocolate and a cup of peppermint tea and tomorrow I'll start again. This way I get something to eat every couple of hours and it keeps my metabolism up.

Annie

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I had a cup and a half of cottage cheese with two Clementines for breakfast; Lunch was salad wit h all kinds of great stuff like broccoli, cauliflower, olives, mushrooms...
    Dinner was half a chicken breast pan fried with olive oil and steamed asparagus..
    I spent a wbole hour on the treadmill watching "My Best Friends Wedding" and didn't realize I had been walking for an hour. I may try that again tomorrow. I was also on the new recumbent bike (which I hate) for 20 minutes. UGH! I think I burned 430 calories today! Not much when an olive is 20 calories...

All I want is pizza

• susytwo
    14 years ago

I'm joining in a little late, but I've lost 5, and am looking to lose 15-20 more lbs. I've been using the about.com's Calorie Counter site to log all my food and exercise, to get a better idea of what my calories in/out are. It works very well. It will calculate recipes for you too.

I've actually been trying to stay away from this cooking forum because of all the tempting photos and recipes. Dieting is hard for a foodie!! :-(

But I've found many great lowcal recipes, and really look forward to my snacks during the day. So, I never really feel hungry. DH is also so supportive, and eats everything I make. Even the tofu.

What's killing me today however, is the 2 dozen leftover oatmeal cookies I baked for DS's Valentine treat bags. I had half a cookie yesterday and they are. so. good. I'm going to put in a half hour on the elliptical now, to try to forget about them.

• spacific
    14 years ago

Finally joining in...
    First of all Bobby, it really sounds like you're going in the right direction. When I read your comments from 6 weeks ago to now, you seem to have evolved to eating in a more sustainable way for the long term.

I've been following, but instead of starting with the food, I started with the exercise side. I had been feeling that age and gravity were taking too much of a toll.

Now that I've been doing "boot camp" for 1 hour, 3 mornings a week since early December, I can see the changes in toning, but it's still hard to get rid of the gut. My instructor said the best results she sees in people is when they cut out wheat products. So that's my next step. I'm not a big sweet or junk food eater, but I do like my bagels, pasta, croissants, good bread...

So my plan is for no predominantly wheat products (not going totally gluten-free). I'm not going to worry about everything, or totally diet (I don't believe that works for the long run). Just going to make one change at a time until it's a lifestyle change.

I've heard often that it takes about a month to really change a behavior. And that seems to hold true for me, so first, I'm just going for changing breakfast from a bagel w/cream cheese to oatmeal and banana or yogurt or ?? (Breakfast ideas anyone? I get really hungry after the morning workout!)

• foodonastump
    14 years ago

When I read your comments from 6 weeks ago to now, you seem to have evolved to eating in a more sustainable way for the long term.

LOL, let's not lose sight of the fact that Bobby hasn't posted to this thread since Feb 2, 2009. Yes, that's an OH-NINE!

So, Bobby, how much weight did you lose? I tried to join the party for a while. Then the scale went missing. I stumbled upon it yesterday while clearing my bedroom for floor refinishing... and while I posted no stats here I'd venture a guess that I'm a touch fatter than last year this time. Good for me.

And my vow to quit drinking? Salut! Opa! Prosit! Cheers!

But you know what, just because I've failed the last 20+ years of my life doesn't mean I'll never succeed. So here's to it. My weight loss inspiration du jour:

Two days ago (Monday) I was unshowered and running around in Sunday's undershirt. My five-year-old told me that my shirt didn't look good and he'd get me another. He went upstairs and I heard a LOT of banging around. My wife was up there so I paid no mind and let her handle it. The banging continued. A while later DW came downstairs and I asked what the heck was going on up there. My son had a fresh undershirt and was attempting to iron it. He thought that if it was nice and flat I wouldn't look so fat.

Time to take a hint?

• spacific
    14 years ago

That is funny FOAS! I never looked at the year, but I read a bit, then went back and read more. And it seemed like things were going so well that I felt motivated to join in. So anyone want to join back in with me?!?!?

If your son's idea works, let me know. I'd like to iron away a few bits myself!