SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threas

Very slow internet page loading

threas
14 years ago

Hi :) My internet on my laptop is ridiculously slow to load pages or it just times out. I cleaned up as many files as I know how and it seemed faster for like 5 minutes.... I use Firefox and IE(I think 8) with the same results.

Would an external antenna connected to my laptop help?

Maybe viruses?

Any help is much appreciated... Thanks

Theresa

Comments (50)

• owbist
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maybe viruses?

Have you scanned for viruses or Trojans? If so which programs have you used?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

Could be lots of things. Is the computer slow in any other respect? What kind of internet service to you have? Dial-up, DSL, cable, etc.

If you are using a wireless connection, try using a cable to connect to your router and see if the speed improves. If so, then you might want to look at your wireless connection.

Could be some kind of malware. Do you have anti-virus software installed? How about malware/spyware type scans using something like Malwarebytes?

• Related Discussions

GW pages slow to load, or is it just me?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have no problem whatsoever after I first start my computer. My computer brings up our names, I click my name and it goes to the desk top. First I click up mail, and that takes a minute. Then I click on Internet Explorer, and that can take some time. (I think my computer automatically goes through a brief virus scan when I first click on I.E. Once my home page (Roses Forum) comes up, there are no more delays. I move from one forum to the next almost magically. My husband has zillions of I Tunes on our computer, and I think that is the cause of the initial delay. Why don't you call your provider, or ask on our Computer help Forum? I take that back. I just clicked on Preview Message, and stopped it at 30 seconds. I'll try again. Good luck Sammy
    ...See More

OT: slow loading, etc.

Q

Comments (6)
    It's difficult to be really objective about this. Part of my problem is having gone from dialup to Comcast broadband about six months ago. That was supposed to improve my speed by a factor of at least 20 or something, but it seemed more like 4. There's great variability in how fast these pages load. I never sit here with a stopwatch, but oftentimes I'd say they load in two to three seconds; I like that. About 10 to 20 percent of the time it takes fifteen seconds or more, and when that happens I close out the site and do something else. The variation in speed might have to do with how many other people in the vicinity are using the service. I'm afraid that as more and more people use broadband, and use it intensively for video downloads, etc., the networks will be slowed. Then the ISP's will be promoting a new premium service for additional fees. The ads/surveys/etc. have been tolerable over the past six months. The worst were those "video ads" that I couldn't get rid of, blocked all the site content, and would follow down the page with the scroll. When I got those, the only solution was to exit, cursing. And I don't see that triangular survey one anymore that would shoot in from the left.
    ...See More

slow connecting to internet and webpages

Q

Comments (8)
    On a windows machine I would recommend uninstalling flash and reinstalling it if it's a constant problem. The link to the Adobe page is above and has the uninstaller and the re- installer. As far as the other symptoms you describe in your post re-installing flash would do little to help. I don't know how to direct you on an 0sx-Snow Leopard OS. What I could suggest is a Mac forum. This is one of many see link. Here is a link that might be useful: discussions.apple
    ...See More

How to stop slow load

Q

Comments (7)
    Do a general cleanup. To clean out unwanted files. Start - Control Panel - Internet Options open - Delete cookies, Delete files (select all off-line content) - Click OK to Exit. Then go to Start - Run - Enter %temp% - Click OK - Click Edit - Click Select All - Delete. Start - Run-Type - C:\windows\temp - OK - and select everything except temporary internet files, cookies and history folders and delete them. Then Restart your computer. The above does the same as CCleaner. Then use the Defragmenter. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Defragmenter - Analyze and Defragment Microsoft has a Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) Microsoft Download Center Download and use Ad-Aware Ad-Aware
    ...See More
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

always first thing to do is several good scans for malware.
    as suggested definitely run FULL scan with malwarebytes

How to download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware application for Windows computers

run superantspyware free full scan
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free

is your antivirus program fully updated and have you run scans? would also run an online scan
    ESET Online Scanner

do those then let us know your results we can go from there.
    another good guide
    Help! My computer is slow!

• elks
    14 years ago

What anti-virus software are you using?

Steve

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm in the process of running these programs. Ran Malwarebytes this morning, no malware, Can't get SuperAntiSpyware to download. I'll have to try again. The Eset Online Scanner is not downloading info, it stops and asks if my proxy is configured? Have no idea how to get info to do that.I went into help to get some answers, but, more confused..??Tried to download ESET in internet Explorer to no avail. I do have Vista.
    I'm running Avira antivirus. Is this a good one?

• zep516
    14 years ago

Lets take a closer look when you get time,

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    · Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    · By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    · Click on Install.
    · It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    · Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    · Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    · Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log (no attachments) into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

try this online scanner instead then
    BitDefender Online Scanner
    yes Avira is a good AV program.

what all is slow is it just opening pages from your browser? opening programs? running programs?
    do you have all your windows updates and your firefox updates?
    I would try running your browser with out the add ons enabled for firefox go to all programs> mozilla> firefox safe mode. In IE go to tools>manage add ons>enable or disable add ons and disable them.
    Run Internet Explorer and Firefox without Addons

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Raven, I ran the BitDefender Online Scanner, no infections. I got the SuperAntiSpyware to download and ran that no problems there.

"what all is slow is it just opening pages from your browser? opening programs? running programs?
    do you have all your windows updates and your firefox updates?"
    Yes to all of the above. I get alot of time outs. I push the refresh button alot just to get the page to load.

"I would try running your browser with out the add ons enabled for firefox go to all programs> mozilla> firefox safe mode. In IE go to tools>manage add ons>enable or disable add ons and disable them."

Check...I did this also on both. I also cleaned out all the cookies. Don't know if that helps anything or not.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep, I installed HijackThis. When I "do a system scan and save logfile", this message comes up.

For some reason your system denied write access to the hosts file. If any hijacked domains are in this file,HijackThis may NOT be able to fix this. If that happens,you need to edit the file yourself. To do this, click, Start,Run and type: notepad C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts and press enter. Find the line(s)HijackThis reports and delete them. Save the files as 'hosts'(with quotes), and reboot. For Vista:simply exit HijackThis, right click on the HijackThis icon, choose 'Run as administrator'.

I do have Vista, so I tried the above, when I right click there is no 'Run as administrator' choice. I can get that to come up another way, but it won't let me choose that option.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Perhaps you need to download a new version of HiJackThis, remove the old copy first. I had the same issue when I downloaded a zipped version. The one linked below is an exe file and should be good.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, owbist. I will do that right now.

• zep516
    14 years ago

That's right thanks owbist...

One thing with Vista you need to right click on the Hijackthis Icon on the desktop and choose Run as Adminstrator then you will not get that error.

• zep516
    14 years ago

opps I see you tried that.

Oh well see what you can do, let me know..

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, the updated HijackThis worked. Here's the results:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 3:04:05 PM, on 4/21/2010
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18904)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - (18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - (53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - (d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f) - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - (1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414) - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - (DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - (DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: (CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54) (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/Bejeweled%202/Images/armhelper.ocx
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 6066 bytes

• zep516
    14 years ago

Your log shows nothing and is in good shape. A few things to fix and there probably not related to any problems. Lets fix them.

Close all windows only have Hijackthis open. Do a System Scan Only

Place a check mark in the following entries in bold: Being careful to get them all and no others.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Click Fix Checked

Close Hijackthis.

Reboot

Post a Fresh Log

You need to up-Date your Adobe Reader see link for Version 9.3

Last do this exercise below.

Download TFC by OldTimer From here click Here
    to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programswhen run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
    * Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
    * Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Post a fresh log.

Up-Date Adobe.

Then run that TFC Cleaner.

Was hoping to see more of a related issue but don't.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Zep! I will be back here in about an hour!LOL That's about how long it takes to get back here! Grrrrr....

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Zep! I will be back here in about an hour!LOL That's about how long it takes to get back here! Grrrrr....

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Posting a fresh log:
    Scan saved at 4:58:34 PM, on 4/21/2010

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=91&bd=Pavilion&pf=cnnb
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - (18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - (53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar Helper - (d2ce3e00-f94a-4740-988e-03dc2f38c34f) - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Microsoft Live Search Toolbar - (1E61ED7C-7CB8-49d6-B9E9-AB4C880C8414) - c:\Program Files\MSN\Toolbar\3.0.0541.0\msneshellx.dll
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - (DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - (DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2) - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: (CC450D71-CC90-424C-8638-1F2DBAC87A54) (ArmHelper Control) - file:///C:/Program%20Files/Bejeweled%202/Images/armhelper.ocx
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4QLBEx - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4QLBEx.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Recovery Service for Windows - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SMINST\BLService.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 5524 bytes

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another problem: Can't install Adobe,get this message.Tried it twice.

Adobe Reader 9.3.2 Installer Information

Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from this file C:\\Users\\Threas\\AppData\\Local\\Adobe\\Reader9.3\\Setup Files\\AdbeRdr930\_en\_US.msi
  • zep516
    14 years ago

The solution to that is to uninstall adobe, then try reinstall.

Did you run that TFC?

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just downloaded TFC.Didn't run it yet. Did you want me to install updated Adobe first.
    Thanks, I'll try to uninstall first.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Try adobe again, that Error 1316 can be a pain though. Let us know. We could provide a different PDF reader for you.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Adobe is installed. Now TFC is not on my desktop...??? I ran it from the window, but it says you have to be logged on as Administrator to use it...??

• zep516
    14 years ago

I would reboot the computer now, then follow the directions in the TFC POST above.

Remember you need to right click the TFC Icon and run as Administrator. When you get the Icom back.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Right. Thanks, I'll try to reboot. I'll tell you one thing, my pages are loading really quickly right now... Don't know if it's just a temporary thing or not.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still don't have TFC on the desktop,so I found it manually as an application and it let me right click on run as administrator. Hope I did it right. The green bar that indicates how far along program is(don't know the name) was at the end for a while,so assuming it might be done, I exited and restarted the computer manually. BTW, my computer takes such a long time to restart,that didn't start today though.It's a black screen for a long time. Anyway, here's the new log.

Scan saved at 6:38:46 PM, on 4/21/2010

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

O13 - Gopher Prefix:

--
    End of file - 5815 bytes

• zep516
    14 years ago

my computer takes such a long time to restart

When that happens, its invariably a driver or a piece of software thats hanging or timing out.

This becomes a difficult thing to troubleshoot one way to start maybe is to disable a few of the services that run:

Like these and see if a difference occurs.

None of those services above need to be running and you could fix them with Hijackthis.

You do a System Scan only and place a check mark in the 023 entry, click fix checked, close hijackthis, and reboot see if it makes a difference.

When you fix an 023 in hijackthis, it just stops the service from running.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to help me, Zep.:)
    I checked just the 4 you suggested. It didn't help.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Stumped!

The only other thing I could offer is a Disk Clean up and Defrag.

Click > Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. look for disk clean up and click it follow directions.

After that in System Tools again, select Defrag, Defrag the "C" Drive. This may take a while so let it run.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    14 years ago

I'd also suggest a CHKDSK, a failing drive can slow a computer has the drive tries to write to good sectors. Has anyone asked what kind of computer, how much memory and free drive space. If she's using up available memory and the drive is full...

I'd also suggest rebooting into Safe Mode, that should help with a lot of unnecessary stuff loading. If that doesn't help, I'd be inclined to think that there's a hardware problem or there is something seriously farkled with the O/S which means backing up important data and doing a fresh install.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep, although I performed a disc frag. & clean-up a couple of days ago, I did it again last night. It didn't help.
    Mike, I need the computers for dummies version. LOL
    How do you do a CHKDSK? My laptop is 8months old & I'm the only one that uses it so I think it still has plenty of memory...? It's a HP G60-44DX Notebook PC w/ Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Thank you guys for all your help ;)

Theresa

• zep516
    14 years ago

How do you do a CHKDSK

See link for instruction:

What Anti Virus was on the machine when you bought it?

Who removed it and installed Avira?

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep,I don't remember what Anti-virus was on my computer. I think Norton? and then it expired. I installed free version of Avira on this forums recommendations. Maybe I did not remove the old one?

• zep516
    14 years ago

Well Somebody removed what ever Anti Virus it originally came with. I don't see any indication of Norton or McAfee in Hijackthis but there still could be folders left over could that be an issue, not sure but worth a check.

So just for fun,

Find the MyComputer Icon on the desktop, or MyComputer in the Start Menu, once found double click it when it opens look for "C" Drive Local Disk double click local disk, when that opens look for Program Files folder, double click Program Files folder. Inside that folder are all your programs, please look for anything called either Norton, McAfee or Symantec

* Hint want to save time looking, once you have the Program files folder open, Hit M on keyboard, this will hilite any folder starting with M . Like McAfee

You can do that for N and S too.

Let me know what you find, it's a shot in the dark...

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Didn't find any other anti-virus software in program files.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I ran the CHKDSK.No change in computer's speed starting up.
    BTW,How often should your computer be rebooted?

Theresa

• zep516
    14 years ago

If you leave the computer on all the time Like I do, it's a good idea to reboot it once a week, as that clears out ram memory. Rebooting can also resolve unexplained issues with the machine. When you feel the machine is just not acting right always try a reboot first.

I am still thinking about your issue. How long does it take to reboot?

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

About 5 minutes from restart to desktop.

The internet connection keeps timing out, it's so erratic. Sometimes very quick a minute later slow as molasses or times out. Maybe I have to redo my network connection.?My son doesn't remember the password for the router. Do you know how I could get it? or doesn't that matter.?

Sorry, I'm talking about two different issues here. LMK if I should start a new thread.

• zep516
    14 years ago

So you're connected wireless is that correct?

Name of router?

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, my laptop is wireless. My router is Netgear.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Ok, Can you or have you tried connecting directly to the router or modem with an Ethernet cable and see if the connection improves. I need you to try that. Tell me the results. Ask if any questions about cable...

Password on router we can deal with that later.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How do I go about connecting my laptop to ethernet. My son has his Xbox 360 hooked up to the router. Can I use that cable? Sorry for the dumb questions....

• zep516
    14 years ago

You should be able to use that cable.

An Ethernet cable usually blue has 2 plugs on the end of it, looks like big phone type plug. So yeah disconnect the end from the x Box, now look on the side of your laptop you should have an Ethernet connector built - in maybe even 2 of them where you can plug the cable into. This will use the network adapter that is built into the laptop and by pass the wireless. You should see the small computer icons down by the clock they will usually indicate by flashing when a connection is made. You can also right click those computer Icons and do a repair connection if you need to. Try to connect that way and see if it speeds up any.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep, I'm hooked up to the router through the ethernet cable. It's definitely faster. There are 5 bars for strength of connection. I only ever have 2 or 3 going wireless.

• zep516
    14 years ago

So it's a wireless router issue then. You probably need to redo the Router settings again.

Just for fun Google Set up Netgear router wireless.

Start to gather Information. First thing you need to do probably is reset it to factory defaults, this wipes out the password you forgot.

Then Google Default Password Netgear.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Will do.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

do you happen to still have the paper work that came with it like the directions and the instructions manual that will have all your default info in it and how to reset it. If not look on the bottom for the model and google that you should be able to go to the manufacturer site and find the manuals.
    Did you set up your router originally with it connected to a desktop computer, in other words which pc did you install the software on?

Unplugging the router (and modem if one) itself from power and powering down all the computers, then power up the modem if you have cable first then after a while power up the router and once it is fully up then power up the various computers, often makes a big difference.

are you just using the Vista built in firewall?
    what are you using is it cable or dsl or what for internet?
    have you done all your windows updates?

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

do you happen to still have the paper work that came with it like the directions and the instructions manual that will have all your default info in it and how to reset it.

If not look on the bottom for the model and google that you should be able to go to the manufacturer site and find the manuals.
    Did you set up your router originally with it connected to a desktop computer, in other words which pc did you install the software on?
    The router is setup on the family PC not my Laptop.

Unplugging the router (and modem if one) itself from power and powering down all the computers, then power up the modem if you have cable first then after a while power up the router and once it is fully up then power up the various computers, often makes a big difference.

I think we have a modem and a router for Xbox and laptops.

are you just using the Vista built in firewall?
    Yes.I'm using the windows firewall.

what are you using is it cable or dsl or what for internet?
    My son says it's cable/DSL internet.

have you done all your windows updates? Yes.Except for three optional ones.

I'm confused about resetting the router. That would be on the main computer. Will this help my laptop internet connection?
  • threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think just by connecting my laptop through the ethernet cable helped with the connection. Is that possible?
    Thanks for all you help. I learned alot.
    I will be posting more often....Yikes!!! LOL

Theresa

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I think you need to do the full power down sequence as I gave it. Turn off all the computers (including laptops) and disconnect from power, disconnect your modem and router from power. Let it set for several minutes. then in this order plug in to power first: your modem, let it fully power up so all lights are up and showing, then power up the router wait till all lights are up and showing. Then power up the desktop pc, next power up any other computers or laptops. That resets things and often times will help with those kinds of problems. And YES doing it can also affect your laptop because when you do it you are letting the modem and router reset which is where you get all your internet from no matter which computer.
    Yes it is possible that using a cable rather than the wireless can make a difference. If you have a wireless card going bad on the laptop it definitely can.

you can not have cable/DSL you have one or the other for your internet connection, either you have it from a cable company using cable or you have it from the phone company through a DSL line.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths