SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mowers_gw

What do you do at the door transition?

mowers
16 years ago

Not sure how to handle the transition. The original floor had 1/2" plywood. To it, I added 5/8" plywood and screwed it down. Several questions:

1) Should I have used 3/4" plywood on top instead of 5/8"?

2) Now my floor is essentially level with the wood floor in the hallway. If I add thinset and 1/4" hardiboard (or other CBU brand), how should I handle the doorway. Do I run the hardiboard on top of the new plywood and stop. Do I run over into the wood floor area. And where should I end the new tile and hardiboard install? Is there a standard, or whatever works? What happens with the uneven edge. Does the marble threshhold piece "consume" this issue? The stock threshold pieces I see in HD have angled edge on each side...what is this for. Hard to explain, but the top is flat, and then each end is cut back on an angle. Does this help transition into the new tile install? The marble is thick also, is it meant to be a "bump" in the floor? I just cannot see it being flat to the tile and wood floor. And can the marble be installed half onto the wood floor, and half onto the hardiboard (or all onto the wood floor) If not, you will see hardiboard under the marble (it will look like a layered effect. Just a bit confused.

3)With what you see, is a heating mat out of the question based upon the floors you see? I was told the mat should be layed down and leveling compound installed. This would be a very thick floor, no? I would have thinset, then cbu, then the mat, then leveling compound, then thinset, then the tile??

4) Hindsight, I may be should have installed the plywood better. There is a thin strip between the large sheet and the wood floor...is this a need for concern?

{{gwi:1472040}}

Comments (9)