SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Retrieval from Temp file

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I have Windows 7 as an operating system. I have IE, I can't find anywhere that is says what "version" it is.

Today, I got an .xls file from my boss as an e-mail attachment, using gmail. I clicked on "download" to pull up the file and begin working on it. I had a ton of data from some reports to enter, so after entering each report, I clicked on the "save" icon which is the little icon of the old floppy disks. I saved and saved and saved after each entry for three hours. Then, in a momentary lapse of concentration, I had a bunch of files open on the desktop that I was closing and I accidentally closed the Excel file I was working on. No problem I thought, I'll just reopen Excel and it will be there in the "Recent files" menu. Nope. Then I looked in my work folder for the file, Nope. Then I did a search for any .xls files on my computer, Nope. Any files that had been modified today. Nope. Then I called the helpdesk at work and they told me how to search my Temp folder. Nope.

Is this a lost cause? Why oh why, each and every time I "saved" the data did it not save. Why didn't I get a pop up window saying, "If you close, you will loose all your data" which is what happens normally when you close a file you haven't saved. Why each time I saved it did it not tell me "this file is read only" or something like that?

This happened to me once before. I gave up on that one easy since I had a hard copy of this test I had just finished writing. But this is hours of work. It was the same situation, a file opened up as an e-mail attachment and not "Saved As" under a different name in a specific folder, just "saved." But actually NOT saved.

I am very downhearted about this.

Comments (11)