SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfmastin_gw

for randy_ca....booting from main hard drive

pfmastin
15 years ago

This is a follow up from a previous post about my added Seagate ext HD. I see that I get to my BIOS by pressing F8 and that takes me to the screen where I can enter Safe Mode, etc. There is a choice there called "enable boot logs". Is that where I get to the place to tell the OS that I want it to boot from the main hard drive and not my new external drive that is on a usb port? As you can tell, I don't know enough to be very adventurous in exploring that menu. Thanks!

Pam

>>>>>>>>>>>>>"You're going to need to do the F1 setup to enter the BIOS.

What's happening is the computer is trying to boot from the external.

In the BIOS under Boot, set it so the main HD is the first boot device, or the DVD/CD ROM can be first and the main HD second, that won't matter as long as the main HD is set to boot before any other drives or usb drives.>>>

Bios are made by different mfgs, so can't give you exact wording, but under BOOT or Main you'll find something about boot order.

I have one machine that boots with Flash Drives and External Drives, another that won't, no matter what I've enabled in the bios.

So on the one machine that won't boot with flash drives or external drives, I just unplug them, boot - then plug them back in.

Isn't is great to have a 1TB external though."

Comments (8)