SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Help with Western Digital My Book external hard drive

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

I thought that external hard drives were just plug in and use. But I think I need some guidance. I bought this Western Digital My Book 640GB external hard drive (USB connection) this last winter. I'm just getting around to using it. I want to back up my software (at some point). For now, I just want to back up my photos,music, video files and word documents. (I'm quite open to recommendations for what else I should back up and how - like all my personal settings - which I'd be hard pressed to recall).

My computer - Dell Inspiron 530, XP, quad core, 3GB Ram, 500GB hard drive (almost 400 is filled bc there's almost 300GB in video files - I'm waiting upgrade my Tivo and transfer them back to a new 2TB Tivo).

This is what the little pdf manual says:

Drive Format

This WD device is preformatted as a single FAT32 partition for compatibility with all

updated Windows and Macintosh operating systems. The FAT32 file system has a

maximum individual file size of 4 GB.

This WD device cannot create partitions larger than 32 GB in Windows 2000/XP.

Windows 2000 and XP users can overcome these file size limitations by reformatting

the drive to NTFS using the Disk Management utility. See answer ID 1287 at

support.wdc.com and article IDs 314463 and 184006 at support.microsoft.com for

further details.

Reformatting the Drive

1. Go to support.wdc.com.

2. See Knowledge Base Answer ID 207 for formatting instructions.

After formatting, go to Downloads, find your product, download the My Book utility,

and follow instructions as prompted.

-----------------------------------------

I don't quite understand the difference between FAT32 and NTFS. I know some of the video files I want to save are larger than 4GB. So should I reformat the entire drive to NTFS? Is there any benefit to FAT32. Does the entire drive have to be the same format?

I read some older posts about partitions. How would I do this. Or I suppose the first question is why would I want partitions?

At some point, I will add another internal hard drive - so that might effect people's recommendations for how I use this drive.

I also wonder about retrieval of data from the external hard drive. For instance, if I want to put some music from there on my Ipod, do I first have to transfer it to my PC's main internal drive? Same with Tivo - if I"m transferring shows back to my Tivo, do I have to add steps to retrieve it from the external hard drive?

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (7)