SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azinoh

XP: MSE out, avast! in (free version)

azinoh
10 years ago

Preparing for the end of support for XP, made the switch yesterday. First impressions: the interface is okay but has a lot more going on than MSE. A cold start or restart is noticeably slower now-bigger strain on resources. avast! is trying to push Google Chrome-have to untick a box otherwise it will be installed. First full scan found 2 "infections"...both looked like false positives to me. Perhaps unwisely, did not opt for the custom install so probably got a few things I could've lived without. One of them showed up today...avast! wanted me to download and install "Grimefighter" which would "optimize" the computer. The web page offering the download is populated with cartoon characters so it's clear that novice users are being targeted...doesn't inspire confidence. Did the download anyway and attempted to run...SURPRISE" the program won't run with the free version of avast! That's okay...I wasn't going to let it optimize anything anyway. I just wanted to see what problems it claimed to find.

Declined an offer to install a AV plugin to Firefox...wonder why avast! wants that? Also warned that "IE on XP soon will not be safe". The option to "fix it now" is another attempt to get the user to install Chrome.

Somewhat relieved that avast! found no serious infections after using MSE for so long. I attribute that mostly to heavy use of FF with NoScript, Malwarebytes and very little use of Internet Explorer. Will probably stick with avast! until something better (and free) comes along.

Comments (28)