SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sangaree

you 'Flakes' cause Dollar Tree Embarrassment

Purplemoon
15 years ago

My dear, delightful, snow "flaky", enablers.....

for the first time ever, I found myself embarrassed at Dollar Tree. LOL, and I have you to thank I think.

I tried so very hard to ignore your snowflake glasses posts and pictures (those beautiful snowflake glasses, sigh).

And I tried so hard to ignore Lynn's comment on ornaments and PURPLE. But y'all are just too strong a force for me. I caved in today as I had to drive right past Dollar Tree. Which I formerly referred to as Twenty Dollar Tree, since that seemed what I never got out of there without spending. How I wished for that today!! I am too embarrassed to tell you what I spent.

On top of that, as I kept pulling stuff out of the basket, I could hear the two people in line behind me sighing as

they held their two or three little purchases. And the girl kept saying should she wrap this and wrap that, and I'm like WRAP Lady, WRAP! Then as I'm groaning at the total,

I hear, for the first time, that she will call the stock boy to help me out to the van!!!! Arrrggghhh, I actually needed him to carry stuff. I can't believe it, I had bags looped on both my arms while he carried a BOX of breakables.

Oh the shame, not to mention the expense. I hope you are proud of yourselves as you enabled one whopper of a shopping spree. (yes I'll take photos later). By the way, my collection plate is STILL empty, and no one has emailed me yet. :o( So I have one thing left to say.....

{{gwi:127374}}

Comments (40)

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

You needed help to get to the car...LOL! So what did you buy?, you who does NOT do table settings!!

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah you little Kitchen Queen, you are just dying to know if I bought table setting stuff aren't you? LOL. Well I did, but I don't know WHY I did. "Someone" on here must've hypnotized me is all I can think. I bought some lovely woven Xmas place-mats. I bought a couple of the snowflake plates, and the snowflake tumblers, AND the snowflake stems.
    I got some pick-like, clip-ons with birds n pinecones and such. I got some silver ornaments, I got some PURPLE ornaments, I got snowflake ornaments. And oh yeah, I got some MORE snowflake ornaments. All very SPARKLY thank you Judith.
    Maybe I'll just take all those snowflake glasses and plates and make a "stack" of some kind. LOL.

Karen who's definitely lost it.

• Related Discussions

Is this pecan tree a lost cause?

Q

Comments (10)
    Nothing in the photos you've shown give me any inclination that this tree is dying, or even in distress. Is this a fairly new construction? That tree is awfully close to the driveway and house - and that large limb that was removed looks as though it would have been protruding right out into the driveway. Makes me wonder if the tree was there before this housing development went in... Additionally, for that size tree, there's not any root flare showing, making me wonder if they added several inches of 'topsoil'; scads of folks here get all gaga over root flares and 'telephone pole' planting. It's an issue for many species - but pecan, being a riverbottom species, is less bothered by, and adapted to dealing with frequent, periodic depositions of silt during flooding...so, perhaps not the issue it would be for other species. Is it a hazard? We can't tell; you'll need the opinion of an ISA-certified arborist - not just some goomer with a chainsaw and a chipper. I've seen big old pecans & oaks live for decades - or human lifetimes - with big open wounds into the heartwood Trees drop leaves. The little pecans dropping may not have been pollenated, may have been infested/infected by pecan casebearer, hickory shuckworm, pecan weevils,or pecan scab and may be being aborted. Or...drought stress may be causing premature leaf drop and nut abscission - but the photos you've posted show what looks to me like a healthy pecan.
    ...See More

Shopping Therapy Part 1, Dollar Tree and GW

Q

Comments (8)
    OMG! Karen, your story brought back memories--rushing to get to work, look down and nasty looking comfy yard shoes still on, or like Jeanne, sitting at desk and look down to see two different colored high heels--and nothing to change to until I could run home for lunch! (I finally started carrying an extra pair of black heels in my car since I knew I'd probably mess up again.) I can imagine your embarrassment--and your friends hoots of laughter! ;o) Lots of good finds (in addition to the tennis). Those domes will keep goodies protected from the kitties and look good too. You always seem to find neat bunny items, that purple jar is just perfect for you and the metal ones will work indoors or out. Glad you had fun and were able to go visit with your friends. Luvs
    ...See More

Dollar Tree find today

Q

Comments (20)
    In my photography I use a lot of the 24x36 foam core matt boards for everything from matting a photo to building a set or prop for Frogs antics. Those boards are $3.50 at Michaels and sometimes I find them on sale for $2.79. Jan found the same boards at dollar tree for $1 each so she called and told me. I told her to grab some,,so she came home with 6, which she said that was all they had but she said the store manager told her it was a regular stock item so if we needed more to check back in a week. The next week Jan returned to the store and found they had both white & black finish so she called and asked me which I wanted so I told her to get some of each..Later when Jan got home she said there is only ten boards in a case, so I bought a case of white & a case of black, but now that you have all reminded me,,I think I need to go and get another couple cases cause Frogs antics is killing me,,,,,LOL
    ...See More

The best dollar you ever spent at the dollar store

Q

Comments (42)
    I have a friend in physical rehab (since December) and when I was visiting before Easter I decided I wanted to get each patient on her hallway a little something. Food was not acceptable so I found little flowerpots with silk flowers at the dollar store. They were so pretty- - sure didn't look like dollar store items. I packaged each one (25) in a little gift bag also from the dollar store and made little tags decorated with flower and butterfly stickers and wrote a few words on each. They were a hit and when I go to visit now I see many of the patients have put them on their window sills. It sure was fun.
    ...See More
  • Sandi_W
    15 years ago

Karen, It sounds like you had a lot of fun in Twenty Plus Dollar Tree. And how nice to them to help you with your purchases. Can't wait to see pics of all your goodies. And I am laughing really hard right now. You are a riot!

• Sandi_W
    15 years ago

Karen, I was so busy laughing at what you wrote I missed your kitty cat pic. That's too cute.

• jamie_mt
    15 years ago

Wow! That must have been some shopping spree!

But you have to play now...you got all those pretty things! It would be a shame to keep them all to yourself...

That cat is just adorable. Very cute. :-)

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Yes, you are coming our way!! You have a whole table right there!

• dreamgoddess
    15 years ago

Karen, I laughed until I almost cried! My daughter was sitting at the bar asking me what in the world was so funny! Poor people behind you..........

I can't wait to see what you bought! Now you can play with the rest of us flakes.

• Bright199
    15 years ago

I just laughed loudly, Miss Karen ... DH had to have an explanation!! LOL!! Yes you painted us quite a picture. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Wish my dt had the tumblers. Can't wait for pictures.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dream, I'd have to be flakey to try a table-setting. LOL.
    Even if I got a table to look halfway decent, I'm pretty sure that my photography skills would leave a lot to be desired. Another class for Judith to start after she gets thru the current one and the Xmas Tree one.
    I bought plates and glasses for just 3 place settings. LOL. But heck, it me and my Dad and my DH. I figured if I was buying these, they can darn well eat off them a few times next month.

I hate to give y'all more reason to laugh, but what the heck. My daughter stopped by after she got off work (across town) and saw my goodies. Since Dollar Tree is just a mile from my house, she asked if I'd pick her up some of the same stuff tomorrow!! She wants 8 tumblers, 8 stems, 8 of the poinsettia placemats, and 5 giant snowflakes to hang in her window. Plus some of the ornaments. Acccckkkkkk, I've got to go back and the same checkout girl will be there and the same guy who had to help me to van. MORE embarrassment.
    Wonder if I could wear a wig? I've never seen anyone helped to their car before, I must be the only Dollar Tree Over-Shopper.

Jamie, there's a website with these funny cat pictures and crazy captions. They post new pictures daily and its a hoot. Sometimes other animals, but mostly cats. Here's the link for any of you cat lovers out there.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: LOL cats

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

What Poinsettia placemats??? I didn't see those!!! SHOW us the mats. Lady!

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Purplemoon,

Your eyelids are getting heavy. You are getting very, very sleepy. You are almost asleep now.
    You are totally asleep. You're feeling euphoric. You haven't a care in the world.
    You are entering the Dollar Tree. You see wonderful things for the table. You buy everything is sets of 3. After a great deal of help from the box boy, you load the car and drive home. You uncrate all the things.

When I snap my fingers, you'll wake up. You won't remember a thing.
    (SNAP)

Now, none of it was your fault. Not to worry. You couldn't help yourself.

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, OA. I feel much better now. LOL

Ok, here's photos of some of the stuff. I didn't get pix of the tumblers or stems, but in the Snowflake glasses post there is a picture of a stem to see. I also didn't get pix of the plates. Red border with white snowflakes. And forgot to take the bird pick ornies too. But here's what I got for you tonight....

I bought two of each of these woven placemats. (they had several other designs with snowmen and Santas)
    {{gwi:1451595}}

I got multiples of these, three and four of each. The one on lower right came in pairs. The solid silver came in gold too, and its sort of 3-D, not flat. Very cool looking.
    {{gwi:1451597}}

I got quite a few of these sparkly silver balls for 'inside' the tree.
    {{gwi:1451599}}

PURPLE, no explanation needed. LOL (camera didn't show the mirror/jewel effect of them.)
    {{gwi:1451602}}

And for Fall, I found these on a shelf up front. Candleholders I think. You buy the leaf and tray separately.
    {{gwi:1451604}}

hugs, Karen

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

HA HA!! It's not just me!! You got it too! I only spent $8.00 in the DT today 'cause I really was spending Alfred's money. I already spent all of mine doing the after Halloween spree!!
    Betty

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I do have to say that I never heard of anyone needing a stock person to help them out to the car at DT. That was funny.

Do love your purchases. I love the purple snowflakes. I best not go to DT because I just got rid of 5 totes of christmas stuff last year.

• yachter123
    15 years ago

OMG, Karen, you are so funny!!! Well, come to our DT, they have very little out yet, so you wouldn't have been tempted!!

I have NEVER seen anyone need help to their car from DT!!!!

You should be embarrassed! Just kidding, I bet they LOVE you there, with the economy down, you are going to keep them in business for YEARS!!!

YES, wear a wig & dark glasses tomorrow!!! LOL LOL

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Karen, you are hilarious! I think you went 'overboard' shopping at DT just so you would have a funny story...that can be your 'excuse'! LOL! But along with the funny story, you sure got some great items! I am SO HAVING DT envy! I wish we had one here with all the beautiful snowflake dishes and ornaments, etc. So did you go back and get the stuff for your DD and did you wear a disguise? P.S. Love the cat clip but sure hope you WILL still play with us! LOL!

DD

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dd50, I thought the purpose of getting rid of stuff was to get MORE stuff? I unloaded some things on my DD and my DDIL last year, and was off and running for more. LOL
    Christmas decor should come with a warning! For that matter, THIS Forum should come with one too.

Betty...$8 in Dollar Tree? I've never gotten out of there like that. You have will power. I spent my money today, so at least DH won't notice the bill. And I sure didn't share my day with him either. LOL. I'd get NO sympathy!
    Come to think of it, I'm noticing a decidedly lack of that here too!
    Please refer to kitty picture now.

LOL, Karen

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Nice haul, lady. If there's a Home Depot nearby you can rent a truck for an hour or so! LOL
    Thanks for showing us...now the plates..I haven't seen them..
    AND I just posted the new flyer for CTS!!! running for cover...

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

ROFL - just too funny Karen - so glad to be an enabler :):) I know I will be back there again before the holidays - just need to see how my trees fill out. can't wait to see what you got. I need to set mine out and take some pictures. My turquoise/lavender/silver tree is going to be so pretty. I hit Michaels today and bought more 'stuff' - actually got some fall stuff at 70% off so was happy about that......

Lynne

• gasuz
    15 years ago

Karen

You are hilarious! I haven't been to see if our DT has the snowflake stuff...but i had better soon!
    I want to join the flakeout..sounds like fun

gasuz

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Awww, Karen, I'd give you a little sympathy, but I KNOW you had so much fun finding all those holiday items. And I know you LOVE playing here with all of us too!

I am always amazed that they get so many pretty things in that store. Those are really nice looking placemats, and I really like the candle holders too. I haven't seen the snowflake plates yet either, our store doesn't have them in yet.

Thanks for a good chuckle tonight, gal. Let's see if you can buy only for your DIL tomorrow! LOL

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    15 years ago

Luvs,
    The Upland DT on Mountain Ave. has the plates. (Display, along with glasses, is slightly off center, to the left, about 10 feet as you enter store.) If you have cause to come this way, you can find them there.
    OA

• Sandi_W
    15 years ago

Karen, You got a lot of great goodies and I know you will have fun with all of it. "WE" have all had lots of fun with your DT trip. LOL

I totally agree with everything everyone else has already said. All of you ladies are hilarious.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Thanks OA, I was just thinking that I should go check at that one, it's a little bigger than the one here by me. However, I'm also thinking that it might not be a good thing if we are all using the same dishes and glasses for our "flakey" tables! Hmmm!

Karen, have you gone back to shop for your DIL yet? Isn't it great when they love the same things we do? I'm waiting anxiously for the next "episode" to your DT story! ;o)

Luvs

• donnawb
    15 years ago

Karen, I did fill mine up after Christmas but I figured once out of the boxes it won't be that much, right? I am trying to lighten my load but you people aren't helping. LOL

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

these were the ornaments that I got from DT for my turquoise/lavender/silver tree - I bought multiples of each - need to find more in the lavender color range tho. The ornaments in the front are some of the crystal ones I am making - the large turquoise crystals are from Walmart. I will be adding a ton of silver balls in various sizes and also got a box of unbreakaables from Big Lots that started this whole color scheme. The box of 48 was all turquiose/lavender/silver different shaped ornaments. I just loved the combination and decided to decorate the tree off that box. It has been fun looking for items and I plan to keep right on looking :)...

Lynne

close up of my crystal handmade ornaments - I plan to do at least 2 dozen of each style and color. I also want to work on some dangle ornaments - I have the teardrop crystal beads

• mo13
    15 years ago

Wow! Karen and Lynne, you guys got some great stuff. Lynne, thats the same color 'theme' I used last year because I scored a bunch of turquoise ornaments at Pier1 after christmas. Lynne, your handmade ornaments look really good - better than the ones in the store. I need to make myself some of those. Did you buy the star shaped wire form or did you make that also?

Purplemoon, I saw the leaf and the plate but didnt buy it. They have the snowflake dinner plates and bowls here but no salad plate size. Thats the one I am looking for! But, I did buy stuff to make up a stacked plates arrangement, some candleholders and plates. Yay!!! I just need one big plate for the bottom stack now.

Mo

p.s: Walmart now has halloween stuff at 75% off, they were reducing it as I was buying stuff. LOL!!

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Mo - thanks for the compliment. I use metallic chenille stems to form my star frame - I have used the 3mm white chenille stems in the past but like the metallic better. Then I just play around with a neat combination of beads/crystals. I buy them in bulk through Bolecks Bead catalog. I have been doing these for years as gifts and craft shows but this is the first year mass producing for my own trees......

Lynne

• User
    15 years ago

Ha .. this thread made me laugh! I stopped at the dollar store today at lunch and found those snowflake glasses. . . I didn't buy any but I'll probably be back! Also so saw white bird ornaments that I should've bought. Considered buying the garland and sprucing it up with some picks etc? We'll see after my trip from Michaels. I'm don't know that I'm real crafty. Might be best in a place high up such as on top of my entertainment stand. It's sure to look good from a distance right!? :)

Karen - I bought those same silver balls. I love how they sparkle.

I'm so excited for Christmas! Can't wait to see everyone's decorations!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

karen loved your funny story of making an absolute 'Spectle' of yourself at DT! You might actually have broken the record for purchasing so much that you needed help to carry it out !!! Never heard that one before.. I Found myself actually chuckling out loud as I continued to read. Sounds to me that you really didn't need any Enabling to make those purchases.. and I don't think you really needed to be 'Influenced'. Let's face it Girl >>>You've been harboring all those 'Hidden Emotions' and you just Exploded!!...I'm sure you had a grand ole time upacking it all and declaring that it was 'All Mine'!! Poor Soul..Hope the second trip back for your DD..doesn't 'Push You Over The Edge' LOLOLOL
    jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slinkey, I was not declaring 'all mine' as I unpacked glasses and plates and place mats. I WAS muttering Kathleen's name however.
    DT had bowls, coffee mugs, plates, but no salad plates. I am sure I'd have bought them tho if they had. I didn't want the others.
    I went back this morning and got my DD's stuff. And NOTHING else. When I got to the cash register with 16 glasses, all those large snowflakes and placemats, and more ornaments. The gal looked at me and said "you were here yesterday too?". I mumbled these were for my daughter, but I didn't like the way she grinned at that. Have a feeling she didn't believe me. And she asked if I wanted the guy to carry the box of glasses to my car AGAIN. I said sure, why not. If DT would let you take the dang buggy outside the store I wouldn't have needed help. So its their fault.

Lynne, you found some purple ornies I didn't see here.

dd50, don't say the folks here are "no help", they help a LOT. Just not always in the way we need them to. LOL.

Shee, you and some of the others often say you saw something and wish you'd gotten it or you'll go back for it,
    be cheaper (GAS) just to get it the first time and be done with it. LOL

Mo, I don't appreciate hearing the word Wal Mart. I'm heading there in an hour for my groceries. That is FOOD not goodies. Lord help me! And I WAS going to Michaels tomorrow but now not too sure that is a good idea. In fact I know its not. Did I mention they opened a Dollar Tree right next door to it? Poor Michaels. Poor Me! Literally, POOR me.
    I may or may not report back after Walmart. LOL

Luvs, I think a bunch doing the Flake Off setting would be interesting, cause its all the other stuff on the table that will make the plates and glasses look so different.
    Of course Kathleen will probably do fat food fotos of her's, just to be different.

Karen holding the EMPTY collection plate still.

• judithva
    15 years ago

Wow, great stuff, your DS has some things that mine did not have, but I still spent lots of money $82. I ended up going to a giant dollar store near my home, it is unreal! I picked up a bunch of ornies and things like that to be able to use in my gift wrapping, they look so pretty as part of the gift. Well, I carried out my goodies on my own (they let you take out the cart here) thank goodness! But I would not have minded some cute fella carrying them instead of me ;)

They had the giant snowflakes this year again, but they are going fast! I am glad I did not go on my lunch break because I am covered head to toe in glitter.

Oh yeah, Karen, I am blaming this one on you! (my dear fellow enabler...)

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

LOL..karen..so it was Kathleen's name you were muttering and it was Kathleen that MADE YOU DO IT!! Geesh..sounds like my kids at school, when they got caught doing something they shouldn't have..All guilty all by them selves >..and It wasn't Their Fault..it was >> Someone >> Anyone Else's fault >> that made them do it!! Yeah..I've heard that all before..
    Now, I see another uh >> Judith..claiming that YOU made her do it too...Well, I guess you guys Need to blame someone else..Because It Wasn't JUST You on your Lonesome...that Made You!! Had to laugh, that the sales girl wondered about you..on your second trip back...looking All guilty..and blaming your DD...yeah she heard that one too.. Too bad she didn't buy your story. I guess that's what happens when you develop a bad reputation..no on really beleives you..even when your innocent!! lol Let's fess up ladies >>> WE are the guilty party...and don't need any one else to Enable us...We do it cause we can't help that we LOVE IT!! lol
    jane

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I feel better already....Judith spent MORE than me.

Jane, normally I'd agree about being responsible for one's own purchases, but..LOL..half the time on here you don't even know you need or want something till someone shows you a picture of theirs. Enablers 'R Us for sure.

Here's the plate and the clip-on birds from yesterday at Dollartree.

{{gwi:1451607}}

hugs, Karen

• User
    15 years ago

Ohhh Karen I bought those same clip on birds I think the day they came out!! haaha I originally bought them for on my "stacking plates".

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne, I thought I had commented (but see I didn't) on how wonderful your handmade ornaments are! I can't imagine making something like that, and sure admire (and envy) those talented enough to do so.

I survived Walmart. Or rather their Xmas dept. It was sooo hard not to grab that little purple tree for $20 tho.
    I really want it. I only bought two little rolls of thin ribbon to try making the dangly bead ornies like Bright's.
    And a sparkly gold poinsettia bunch (thanks to Judith). I saw some of Dollar Trees ornies, at twice the price. I looked at the clearance Halloween, but bought nothing. Whew. I was a good girl afterall. It was also hard to resist that big triple ornament thing Luvs mentioned for $25. And a big round red cookie jar with snowflakes all over it. Did I say I was a good girl? Heck, I was GREAT. LOL. But I sure want that little purple tree.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hey, Karen, how long do you think you can hold out before you go get the purple tree???? LOL Just teasing you! ;o)

You are right about the ornaments looking like the Dollar Tree ones for more than twice the price. I saw some at Michael's and thought the same thing!

Hmmm, that red cookie jar with snowflakes sounds like it might look good with the red flake plates. Was it similar?

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    15 years ago

Lynne, The color scheme you've chosen for your tree is very pretty. I can't wait to see finished pics of your tree. And the crystal ornaments you made are really pretty. Thanks for sharing how you did them.

Mo, I haven't seen the snowflake salad plates either. Hope you find your big plate for your stacked plates soon. Can't wait to see what you're doing.

Luvs, I think Karen's right about the flake off. Even with some of us using a lot of the same items the tables will be different. How fun that's going to be. And lots of ideas.

Karen, Your red snowflake plate vignette is very pretty. I love the little red bird in front. And didn't you tell the other ladies that with the price of gas if they see something they want they should just go ahead and buy it???? If you want that purple tree...;~)

• Purplemoon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahhh, Sandi, you caught that little slip did you? LOL
    Please pray for me, Flakes, I'm going to Michaels today for a few craft supplies. I need all the strength I can muster to stay away from Clearance and Christmas. Especially as they probably have purple trees too. (not to mention the other Dollar Tree is right next door to Michaels, oh and Ross is across the street.)
    helpohhelpohhelpohhelp me be strong.

hugs, Karen (did I mention I TAKE credit cards?)

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

First off...love the Plate and the clip on birds..they look beautiful together..
    Now...let us know what you Bought Today...If You Dare!!!
    I hear ya on seeing something that someone else shows, and BAM...You become obsessed with having to have one Just Like It!!... We are all 'Enabling' each other...and as I said..We Love It!! So show us ...what you got today..Okay!! ...don't hold out...show us...Please...
    Jane

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions