SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
che1sea_gw

Small house floor plan, thoughts?

che1sea
14 years ago

Here are some pics of our current house plans we are looking to build sometime in the next few years. The building site is in south western washington, 80 acres surrounded by mostly hundreds of acres of timber. We will need to bring in power, build a well and septic tank/drain field. The site is basically at the bottom of a valley that runs roughly north/south (bottom of the plans is south. The house is for a family of four, the kids are currently 3.5 and 1.

We want a small house, resale is not important. Mostly I think the sizes of the rooms are pretty good for our needs I am just wondering if there might be some small changes that will make it work better.

We will build (ourselves) then live in "Phase 1" while we build the rest of the house. There is a sleeping loft upstairs. The empty room behind the kitchen is pantry/storage. I also don't have the closets in the plans yet but I do plan on having some. In the far left bedroom it will be on the right hand wall and in the kids rooms it will be more of a wardrobe situation. The plan is to have shelves all along the wall with the bedroom doors.

The laundry is in the main bathroom, something my parent's have that I know we like. We don't entertain much other than family and close friends. Heat will be a combination of passive solar with back up wood heat (small rectangular thing on south wall).

Also the stairs along the far eastern wall go down to a walk out basement work shop, the plan is for the basement to extend 8-10 feet farther south than the south wall of the house, I wasn't sure how to get my program to show that. So you will be able to step out of the house on the south onto a patio and then it will drop off for the walkout basement. The main entrance/mud room will be part of phase one with parking planned to the north of phase 1 and the main road to the west.

Clear as mud right?

Any thoughts on a great way to do phase 1 would be appreciated. We are looking for something around that size that provides a small living space and sleeping area. Later it will be an office/guestroom with storage upstairs.

Phase 1 (240 sq ft up and 240 sq ft down stairs + bathroom and entry)

Phase 2 (1450 sq ft + basement work shop)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

Comments (6)