SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Time to buy a new computer...recommendations?

Hi,

Yes, I have been posting with the idea that I had some time left with this laptop, but suddenly I am thinking the end is in sight. I am out of warranty and the computer is five years old. Last year when I was in warranty, I had a lot of the innards replaced. They put in a whole new motherboard. The computer seems to have been having few problems running. Software is behaving well. I have my routine uses and just no problems. What is giving me a problem is the case and the adapter cord, the CD player not burning. The case developed some difficulty opening it..the hinge where the screen attaches to the body on one side, was elevated away from where it had been slightly and was tight. It had not been dropped. At some point, we got it to go back into place by pressing on it enough, but since then, the hinge has been loose and it is not easy to keep the screen in an upright position. You have to get it in just the right place, or it falls all the way back.

Of course, with the hibernation function which seems to be triggered by closing the cover, I am now having a problem starting the computer. It seems to be the on button. I will press it and the lights on the keyboard will come on as it does when it is about to come on, then nothing. So I shut it off and start again. At first it was occasional now more frequently and the other day I spent 40 mins trying to get it to come on.

So today, a new wrinkle, the cord for the computer is starting to come apart at the back of the plug and the power is flickering when it is moved. Not a good thing when the battery has been kapoot for awhile. I have already bought two power cords for this Dell Inspirion 8200. This last one has only lasted 7 months and it was $50. for it.

So please offer me your opinions, of what you would do in a similar situation and why. I am planning on calling Dell and an independent computer geek company in the morning to see what my options are and expected expense. I would really love to avoid buying a new machine right now, of course, because of the expense, but, also because I don't need any more bells and whistles and have spent a long time getting everything just the way I like it and don't look forward to doing it all over again.

But, I hate to throw money out the window on repairs if I will have to buy new sooner than later any way.

My daughter just got a new Apple but I have tried her machine and not completely crazy about it. It does not have a tracking ball, forcing me to use the mousepad, that I absolutely hate. I have problems with my hands and arms and using the pad requires so much more arm and hand movement, that it is painful for me. I also didn't feel her graphics are as good as mine and my machine is 5 yrs old. Maybe because her screen is smaller? The larger Apple is about $1,000 more.

Love to hear a lot of views, as I have not even thought about what to get or what is out there. I thought I had more time.

Thanks very much...

pm2

Comments (8)