SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Help! - first time buying central hvac systems

SaintPFLA
16 years ago

Hello everyone!

I was very excited to find this site. I frequent the garden web area, but am doing research on a new purchase of a central heat/air system. I have never had to buy one before, so need some help doing my home work. Sorry if this is long, but I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.

I live in Florida and my old, inappropriately installed central heat air (with heat STRIP) died last week. It is a Ruud/Rheem 3-ton system. The compressor is R.I.P. Plus, the duct work is botched, the airhandler literally sits on the ceiling tresses in the attic (is not hung) - basically, my old system has lots of problems in addition to a dead compressor.

I bought two window units (on sale at HD) to get me by until I can get something installed AND so I don't get pressured into making a poor and expensive decision.

I am looking for a 15-19 SEER system, with a heat PUMP and feel I need new duct work. I am looking at Trane and Carrier as I understand both are the top of the line. My house is approx. 1250 sq ft., old Florida 1920s southern bungalow. I have an unfinished upstairs 'attic' space where the current unit sits and replacement unit would sit. Compressor would be outside.

I am gathering quotes and need help to make an informed decision. (help!...). I think I need a 3-ton unit due to my current sq footage, but I also plan on building up and turning my unfinished attic space into liveable house space within 5 years. This would add an additional 800 square feet. I don't want to THEN buy another HVAC system. I'd like to purchase smart now in order to avoid future unnecessary costs, but don't want to have 'over kill' either. Am I thinking correctly on this plan?

Option #1:

Buying via Home Depot is appealing due to having their credit card and 12-mths no interest. However, the quote for Trane seems really, really high. Again, this includes new duct work.

HomeDepot via local installer: 12mths no interest

XL19i - R22 - $9860 (w/clean effects $10,710)

xl16i - R-410A - $9400 (w/clean effects $10250)

xl15i - R22 - $9540 (w/clean effects $9640)

--all prices include rebates (they included the rebate cost that the utility company offers...$350...which actually comes from utility company not the installer)

How effective is clean effects? I do have major allergies -- is it worth the extra $$? How much is sales pitch vs effectiveness?

- They would remove old unit and build new hurricane code pad for outside unit.

-includes electrial work

Option #2:

Carrier - local installer in business for 40+ years; either pay via my credit card or apply for 6mth 0% financing via CitiFinancial

Below prices do not include additional duct work

Carrier ANA7 (infinity 19) 3 ton $7552 +(-1000 rebate) = $6552

Carrier APA5 (infinity 15)2.5 ton $5275 +(-1000 rebate) = $4275

Carrier ACA3 (comfort 14) 2.5 ton $4855 +(-$400 rebate) = $4455

Extra costs:

--extended warranty $475 (supposedly there is a rebate)

--space guard filter $275 (I don't know what this is...)

-no duct work; feels they can use existing (I disagree...just looking at the duct work, you can see it

s mix/matched; also, when the floors were refinished, the ran the a/c..I am still finding saw dust in the filter)

- no mention of building hurricane code pad for unit to sit outside

-electrical not include

-includes thermostat

-remove old unit

My thoughts are that I need a 3-ton system. So this would eliminate the two cheaper Carrier units. Is my thinking correct?

So, if this is the case, how do I effectively compare the Infinity 19 to the Trane systems?

How do I know if I should actually replace the duct work? I bought the house originally from a house flipper who just slapped stuff together and did a half-a** job on pretty much everything including the install on the central heat and air.

Are there additional things I need to consider or ask the installer about that I may have not known about or overlooked?

Thank you for your patience and help with this major purchase.

Comments (3)