SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

*New Lamp(s)* New Console Table* still have time to return..(pic)

tinker_2006
15 years ago

Hi, I am back - still working to put of great room together in our new house. Still need to get drapes, and more accessories!

I found a different lamp at Marshall's - bigger shade (though I need to replace with a darker one I think???), it's not shiny and the lamp itself is more colorful. Keep it or continue to search a little more?

FIRST LAMP:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

NEW LAMP (I can still return both!!)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

For the console table - I searched and searched, and TRIED to want metal and glass - but I just couldn't feel it! I kept coming back to the same console table, and decided to get it. It CAN be returned... (for a fee). DH loves it, I love it - but I am thinking I sure do have a LOT of wood! Having so much wood is very different then my past homes, with I used a lot of stone/wood combinations... I like country - but I don't want my house to be "country" is it looking country?

And the lamp on the console table is new - DH HATES it - I like it - but not sure it works. I went with metal to add a different texture, and it's taller and thinner so not to block the view - I think the shade is different, but that's the part DH really hates! Again, I still need accessories - as most all the stuff here is old stuff that I am making work the best I can until I find the right pieces. You HONEST opinions are VERY appreciated! Give me the good, bad and ugly!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (57)

• lynne_melb
    15 years ago

I like the second lamp a lot and the console table.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

tinker: Do you live in New England? I have a lamp that might work on the console table. But maybe not.

• Related Discussions

How much of a fan is needed for seedlings? New lamp setup (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    Lumens is a measurement that's biased toward the human eye, not plants. Most of the light used by plants don't appear bright to our eyes, so the flouro grow lights will always have less lumens. Personally, I've used both and didn't find too much difference between the grow lights and the regular cool or warm whites. I forgot to answer your original question... easiest way to tell if your fan is enough is to check to see if it visiblly moves the seedlings. You just want to shake them around slghtly to encourage them to grow stronger. If they arn't moving in the breeze at all, than you either need to put the fan closer or get a bigger fan. I use an osscilating fan myself, and it's hooked up to the same timer as my lights. As for your ballast, short of opening up the light and check, if it hums a bit when it's on, it's a magnetic ballast. Also electronic ballasts are very light weight while the older magnetic ones are quite heavy. Otherwise, you'll have to open it up and look inside. Usually, if it's an electronic ballast, it'll say on the label.
    ...See More

I have a new counch, now I need help with other pieces (pics)...

Q

Comments (30)
    I mentioned the borders to dh this morning and he likes the idea. Each of the long sides is about 14'. The shot side is about 10'. The other short side is there the 'bridge' is. I'll look at it tonight with dh and see what we can work out. As far as the layout of the living room. As the furniture is now. Looking at the back of the chairs, you are stading by the dining table and behind you, the kitchen. That opening is about 10' wide. Still looking at the back of the chairs, next to the chairs is the couch. And in front of it is the fireplace and the stairs that lead to the upstairs. The couch is about 12 feet long. I would love if it could put the couch where you could see the back, but it is just too big. We did every arrangement we could think of when we first got it so that we wouldn't have to close off the door way (the blank wall that is now behind the couch). Just to give you a little background of the house. When you stand looking at the back of the chairs, you are standing where the carport used to be. We added about 40' to the end of the house about 6 years ago, doing most of the work ourselves. So that is why the layouts ended up a little strange. The now TV area used to be the dining room and kitchen.
    ...See More

Part 2 of my lamp saga - new shade to consider (pics)

Q

Comments (35)
    I'm back from the shade store and yes, friends, I've gone completely overboard!! I have yet another shade to consider. This time I brought home several shades to find the right color. Now, I think I have the right color, but the shape is new, believe it or not!! It's a little difficult to describe. Basically it's a rectangle with a bell shape. The shorter sides flare out in a soft curve. I have 4 pics to share, in order to hopefully show the true shape of the shade. Picture #1 Picture #2 (from the side to show the outward curve on the short side) Picture #3 (a complete side view) Picture #4 I think I like how the rectangle shape of the shade works with the rectangle of the piano. So, if anyone is still interested in this saga, which now has really turned into a saga, what do you think of the latest choice? Thanks to all who have responded. I really do appreciate your input.
    ...See More

Need help on new console/bar set, lamp height, and quantity.

Q

Comments (2)
    Not a Pro. Looks like you entertain a lot from the items you are choosing. The console that sounds like the right size. Take a look at the picture below...the height... and accessories. Keep accessories limited. One lamp, if there is room, may be all that is needed. No one wants to move so much around before entertaining. In fact, I would wait till you have the console in place before even thinking about accessorizing. Some inspiration:
    ...See More
  • cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I love the second lamp, and the console table is wonderful. The lamp on the console is ok, but I do like the shade. I love your room you are doing some great things in there.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all again!! So much to think about - and play around with. The stores are going to hate me - as I will be known as the "return lady" for sure! LOL

OS, no - I am in FL!

Les, I moved the lamp to the left, and while I like how it looks from within the room, it looks strange from the entry way... good suggestion on adding color to the accessories below.

bluemoon2, the manufacture is Sherrill. I do love the chairs too!

graywings, I have been working on adding a third color... this has been the most difficult thing I am finding with this room!

mitchdesj, DH will thank you!!

lynn2006, DH frowns.

lyban, I'll try that too!

cooper - THANK YOU. I sometimes feel "lost" so it's wonderful to get reassurance!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I like the first lamp and the second shade...not so fond of the lamp on the console...but is it okay. Now that console table fits your style SO much better. For some reason the metal and glass just didn't seem to go with the style of the rest of the room. Love it...and you do such good work~~

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Okay - I am writing out my thoughts prior to reading the other responses as I don't want to be influenced by what other posters have already written.

1st lamp is ok but it really blocks the view.

2nd lamp: not so wild about at all. Again blocks the view & I'm not crazy about the addition of the blue in it.

Console table: LOVE - please keep it. You can minimize a 'Too much wood' feeling by mixing wood finishes.

Lamp on console: didn't care for it at 1st until I got to the very last picture & thought that it looked great. At that time I thought that it was made of metal. Then I looked at the pic before it closer & realized that it was glass & I really like it a lot.

• polkadots
    15 years ago

Tinker, I prefer the first lamp but with another shade. To me, the second lamp has too many colors in it.

I love the console table - looks perfect to me! The lamp there looks nice, but if DH hates it I would look for something else.

You've probably answered this before, but who is the manufacturer on your coffee table?

• chat2taz
    15 years ago

I LOVE that first lamp, just not the shade. I like the other lamp shade to go with it. That console table is fantastic, I would keep it for sure.

I also agree with two tall lamps at either end of the table. It would give your room more height.

Love your chairs!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I wouldn't worry about either lamp one or two, on the side table, blocking the outside. You need the room to be weighted. That's why it looks better with the larger end table there. The doors and windows are very large and you'll find when you have everything placed that it will look great and the view will be maintained.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I'm not crazy about the idea of two lamps on the console. What about the first porcelain lamp next to the chair and the second porcelain lamp on the console?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The majority likes the console table - that's good and reassuring! I like it too, and it was one that I have kept thinking about - even before we moved in!

OS, I don't care for the two lamps on it either (posting a picture) and did try the other smaller red lamp.. not bad... ?? what do you all think?

parma42, I agree with you - neither of these lamps block the view at all and moving that table there - was PREFECT! The round one is now in a happy place - upstairs in our bonus room!

polkadots, thanks for your help! I just LOVE this coffee that, and once again - it's a Sherrill product! The console table is from Lexington, and the end table is Hammary.

ttodd, thanks for your input as well. The lamp actually is metal - with a stone/glass ball. I really am not sure about the console table lamp.. mixed feelings posted, and mixed feelings here... just not sure what direction is best - but posting some other mock-up photo's that may help.

######### These are lamps from around my home - used as mock-ups ########

First one though - is the other small red lamp.

{{!gwi}}

just a small lamp I had
    {{!gwi}}

These are from our bedroom... but shows the console with 2 lamps. (I don't care at all for these lmaps anymore - but that's what I have for now!)

{{!gwi}}

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Hi tinker...you're house is looking so pretty. I love look/style of it. I like the second lamp you have on the side table in your original post and I know there's mixed opinions but I really like the metal lamp that was on the console, the one your DH doesn't like.

I just wanted to pass on something that might help you as you're decorating in your new home. You said you like country but didn't want it decorated in country. When I moved to a new construction home nearly 2 years ago now I had a decorator come out from a local furniture store so she could see the house and the style I like. I wanted quite a bit of new furniture for the new house. In talking with her I told her that I had always been drawn toward country and I enjoy some old pieces/antiques mixed in with the new but I didn't want my house to look "country" style. She said she calls my style "updated country". It's cleaner lines and less clutter than the country of the last couple of decades. Your house has that look to me also. The wide planked floor, brick fireplace, traditional but casual furniture. I really do like that style and putting a name to it and describing it as a cleaner lines country has helped me make choices along the way. Anyway, yours is looking beautiful!

• parma42
    15 years ago

The first red lamp sure looks great against the warm wood tones of your new console, which is beautiful, btw.

You might want to change out the shade like was previously mentioned. To check what type and size would look best, just switch with the shade from your new lamp and see how close that is.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

parma42, do you mean switch it out with this one?

Does any one think that the 2 lamps should be more different from each other - or does the similar (ceramic base/ red tones) work fine?

{{!gwi}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

Actually, I meant the other one but I just meant to change them until you found one that you like the size and shape of. Then you could buy a new shade and know the measurements you were going for.

I don't think having two red ceramic lamps is a problem. Especially since one has an additional color in it so you can add an accessory of that color in combo with it. You could even do a pleated shade for the console lamp if that is a look you like.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

tinker: Could you switch the lamps--with the red one back over by the chair, and the multi-colored one on the console?

• les917
    15 years ago

Take the beaded shade from the 'just a small lamp I had' and try it on the red and gold lamp.

My only concern is the red and gold lamp still feels too small by itself on the console.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

les: I think that if Tinker switches out the light-colored basket with something a bit heftier, it will balance out the lamp.

tinker: I really like that shade on the red and gold lamp. Can you move it, with that shade, back to the chairside table, then move the multicolored lamp to the console table, but with the shade that was originally on the red and gold lamp?
    Is that confusing enough? LOL

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

p.s. I'd like to see that beaded shade on the red and gold lamp, too. :)

• neicie
    15 years ago

Tinker---where did you find the "faux books" that you have on your end table and then on the bottom of the console table? I was looking for some this weekend and the only ones I found have very dark brown covers---I love yours because they add color to your space.

P.S. -- I like the second lamp and LOVE the lamp on the console.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stay tuned for more pictures!

neicie, thank you! The faux books are old, but I am sure that it was either tj Maxx/Homegoods or Kirkland's.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Maybe the lamp between the chairs just looks out of place to me because there aren't any window treatments up yet so to me it just looks like the lamp is floating above the chairs w/ nothing around it if that makes sense.

• teacats
    15 years ago

LOVE the console table -- a wonderful choice!

No -- as mentioned above -- the two ceramic lamps should match OR switch to another type of lamp. Perhaps a couple of tall thin buffet lamps?

Just some more thoughts to add to the mix ......!

Jan

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I like the "just a small lamp I had" on the console.

Have you considered not putting a lamp on the console and instead placing something like a pharmacy lamp on the left side of the sofa?

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Tinker, the room looks great. I actually love the first lamp (red and gold) but not its wavey shade. If the lamp wasnt too expensive I would keep it and find another shade for it. I didnt care for the pink and blue flowers in the second lamp. I also really liked the metal and glass lamp on the console table. One suggestion and you might be planning on doing it, is the couch needs some colorful pillows. I couldnt help notice the beautiful fireplace out by the pool...wow...love it. Where in Fl are you?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More musical shade pictures! Think I got this right...

Les, you may be right about the gold red on the console being too small, the multi color one does look better (IMO)

teacats mentioned that they should either match - or be different. Is an exact match better then what I have now - because the store currently does have another of each lamp.

smaller gold with beaded lamp

{{!gwi}}

red gold with larger shade

{{!gwi}}

multi color moved to console, other shade moved to red gold lamp

{{!gwi}}

multi color with original red gold shade

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

That works! Personally, I don't think the lamps should match--I think that would be boring.

I much prefer the last photo, although I don't like any of the shades for the multicolored lamp. If you could find a cool shade for the multicolored lamp on the console--like you have for the red/gold lamp--then I think you have a winner. The next step, I think, would be to work on accessorizing the console table. For example, I think that light-colored basket really doesn't go there.

Such a pretty room!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

The shade no one likes is too small. That's what's wrong with it. It looks like highwater pants if that makes sense. The other thing that seems to contrast too much are the beaded and fringed lampshades. The rest of the room has very clean, simple lines and they don't fit as well. I enjoy your room, looks comfycozy.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am hoping some others will still chime in! I am still confused - but one thing for sure - the small lamp shade MUST go! I am heading out in a few to look for a shade.

So, on the console - the original posted metal lamp, the multi color (with darker shade) or continue to shop.

on the end table.. smaller lamp with shade in last picture - or ditch that shade all together and find something else?

Accessories... I have been shopping - and realize, it's going to take a while to complete it! Fun anyways..

• teacats
    15 years ago

Yes -- an exact match of either pretty lamp would work -- and the viewer's eye would see the symmetry across the seating area.

Or go for a completely different lamp -- or even two metal or wood buffet lamps that would literally stand alone ......

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

I still vote for two different lamps. An exact match would certainly work, but wouldn't be as interesting, I don't think. The same shade on each lamp, however, would still produce the symmetry, if symmetry is what's wanted.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I like the arrangement that you posted at night(dark outside) on the 22nd.

• User
    15 years ago

I love the multicolored lamp on the console table. I like the way it ties in with the sofa.

• fussy_chicken
    15 years ago

I like the one on the console too except for the shade. BTW do you need the lamp between the 2 chairs for light for reading, etc? I suspect you probably do, but just wondered since it really blocks the beautiful pool area.

• pegrini
    15 years ago

My two cents' worth: The first lamp is gorgeous, but as almost everyone noted, had the wrong shade. It is not only the wrong shape, but too small to boot. Myself, I would try a shorter drum shape (an untapered cylinder) and would consider another color, even opaque. Perhaps a bronzed black? A very rich-looking set of lamps, indeed.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I like the last photo and am with OS - I like the 2 different but similar lamps in that they are richly colored and patterned- subtle differences. But-must- get-new-shade for the lamp on the console. It is too small which is more evident in the last shot. And then I think you are done with the lamps and can play with what is next on your list. Or lounge around poolside, gazing in,cool drink in hand, admiring your beautiful room! Which is what I would do next!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone so far! I think I have decided to keep both the red lamps, although they are different, they do see similar as well.

In the 2nd to last picture - the red/gold lamp has the "funky" shade.. and the multi-color has the original (but too white ) shade. Should I replace BOTH shades (that are showing in the 2nd to last picture) so that they match?? The lamps were inexpensive so replacing the shades would be fine.

Ah yes - the pool! I have only used it 2 times so far!! It did turn out so pretty - and our new patio furniture will be arriving any day now! I'll be sure to post so pictures - as I had much help with that decision too!!

I forget who asked were we are located - but I am 5 miles away from the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. Sarasota County!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Let me muck it up completely...... Could you put a torchiere in the cornder instead of the table lamp? Then the view to the pool wouldn't be blocked. I'd get dark shades for both. The night shot makes them look a darker gold. That looks good with both of the lamps.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Tinker, it was me that asked where you were, we are in Pinellas County:)

• User
    15 years ago

No wonder you are confused. My head was spinning after reading all of the opinions! I was following the original post, but this is my first look at your follow-up. I agree with the others about finding another shade for first lamp if you decide to use it. The present shade is too short and it is the wrong style. My suggestion would be to take the lamp into a lighting store that sells shades. There you will have some expert advice as well as the option to "try on" various shades, much in the same way that you would try on clothes to determine the most flattering fit and combination. Think of the gas you will save!

These are some guidelines for shades that I have found useful:
    1. Match the base  think size, shape, style, color. Your goal is to match the mood of the base.
    2. Compliment the base  the shade should make the base look better without competing with for attention (like that patterned shade on the metal lamp)
    3. Hide the switch  the shade should just barely cover the switch (usually the height of harp + ½ inch). Try different sized harps, or add a shade riser to fine-tune.
    4. Sizing Rules of Thumb:
    (1) Shade height should be about ¾ the height of the base
    (2) Bottom of shade should be wider than widest part of the base.
    (3) Shade width should be approximately equal the height from bottom lamp base to the top of the lamp stem, (just below the socket cap)

I like both lamps. I think either one will be beautiful, but I would not use both of them in that room. Rather than another ginger jar, it would be nice to use a different architectural form on the console.

I like the console very much. I do not like the metal/glass (marble?) lamp with the patterned shade. I would look for gorgeous buffet lamps. I am thinking wooden with an antique gold finish (very simple, but elegant). These are high end lamps, but use as examples.

If you want the console to appear more sophisticated, remove the dried flower wreath that is resting on the books below, and remove the wicker basket with the greens from the top of the console. Replace it with a grouping of three (the magic number) similar objects (candles, boxes, ceramics, etc.) of different height and proportion.

Good luck and keep up the good work. I am amazed by your shopping energy and resourcefulness.

• jaybird
    15 years ago

myheadhurts!!!!

but I love the table and the red lamp and the multicolored lamp, and I don't know nuttin' 'bout shades ;^)

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

n1cf2: I really like that first buffet lamp you posted--that would certainly go well with one of the ginger jar lamps. Also, thanks for the shade instructions--very helpful! My only concern with using buffet lamps instead of the other ginger lamp, is the height. Because the console table has some heft, perhaps two shorter, slightly more substantial lamps would work?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes, my head hurts too, but not from reading - I am getting a stomach bug.. uggghhh.

gk5040, waving hello from the near south!

OS, thanks for the shade links.. hopefully I will feel better tomorrow to really look. I really love all your suggestions, so helpful!

n1cf2, just when I thought I made my mind up! I need to go dig in the garbage for the tags - I JUST CUT OFF!! LOl Really great suggestions, I already have been playing more with the accessories on the bookcases (I'll snap a picture tomorrow) but I didn't remove the wreath, but it makes perfect sence and I will! I really need to keep searching for console accessories. I really like the first lamp you posted but it brings up a question regarding a console lamp there.

First, I tried 2 thin lamps (pic above) as a mock up. In real life - I don't like it at all, and do know I rather just have one lamp on the console. Now... nobody but me can actually see the "whole" picture, but there is a hall chest 10-12 feet away with a console lamp on it and I think that possibly by having another - could be too much...?? but I am not a decorator - so give me your thoughts!

I need to go rest - hope I feel better tomorrow!

• User
    15 years ago

Organic Smallhome: Yes, you are right about the lamp height. Although some buffet lamps are over 40 in. high, many can be found in the 26-in. to 32-in. range, which is the height of an average table lamp. After looking at the photos again, I think that you are also right about the profile of the lamps  more weight at the base would look better.

Tinker: I hope you are feeling better soon. You have work to do!

I do not like the two tall, thin lamps in photo #11 either, but I don't think it is the concept of two lamps on the console that is bothering me. I am distracted by the light color of the base and shade, but if I ignore thatÂI see a problem with the height, the shape of the shades, and the need for more weight at the base, as noted by Organic Smallhome. Now look at the photo before that - #10 with the metal/marble base. That seems to be the right height, but the shade is too prominent. So, if you want to consider two lamps, look for bases that height, with bases more like this:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

After consideration, if you feel more comfortable with having one lamp on the console, then I still feel that it should be a very different style than the lamp between the two chairs.

{{!gwi}}

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Oh my, Tinker, if I had as many suggestions that you have had, I would be "sick" also.....so many choices and so much great advice. Hope you are feeling better today...you have lamps to exchange....LOL....but hope you have decided to keep the console table....love it~~

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Feeling better, and was able to pull the tags out of the garbage!! LOL... yes, all great, but different opinions!

I am however, going to:

1) keep the red/god lamp - but get a different shade.
    2) keep the console table

I like the multi-color lamp, until gk5040 mentioned the "pink" flowers.. I never noticed them before!! LOL

I really like all the lamps posted by n1cf2.... now that I am feeling better, there is more work to do!! I still need to think about repainting behind the built-in's, drapes, etc... uugghhhhhh!!!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Tinker, get a lamp yet?

I was just on The Great Indoors web site and when I saw this lamp I thought of you. Knew you really didn't like the multi-colored lamp. I'm sure you could find a better price elsewhere. It's fairly large, too.

It has the same look as the one you kept but a different texture.

Here is a link that might be useful: red/gold lamp

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Parma42, thanks for asking!

I LOVE that lamp too - however, I did see it in person and it VERY large! I did return the multi-color lamp, and kept the red/gold AND bought a new shade that fits perfect. I'll need to take a few more photo's - as I have been BUSY in this room! (I am working on paint and drapes too!!) I did find another lamp - that is currently sitting on my console table - but I have the receipt tucked away as I still have to decide! It's different then the red/gold, but does have a little more "hefty-ness" to the base to add that weight that was suggested. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to post a few more pictures - as I could use more suggestions!!

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

I think your room is really pretty and my head is spinning from reading all the opinions about the lamps/shades!

But I have a question:
    Where are you going to plug these lamps in? It looks like both tables are "floating" and the cords will have to go somewhere.
    I have this same situation and I am stumped as to how to safely run the cords to an outlet. (I have small kids and don't want anyone tripping over exposed cords).