SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Tiling and door trim/baseboard/skirting question

pjb999
15 years ago

I'm doing a partial remodel of our second bathroom (started small now just keeping shower/some walls/vinyl floor) and have been wondering how to approach the tiling and door trim/baseboards - what's normal? Do you put the door trim on and tile up to it, or would you tile right to the door and have the trim go "over" it?

The original jamb goes level with the new drywall I've put in (it was wallpapered originally) and I was wondering, do people use a 'special' deeper jamb, or fur out the jamb? In the latter instance, it'd have to be a really neat job.

The trim/baseboard I'm using is customwood (I plan to go over the pre-prime with some sort of melamine type primer or undercoat, maybe even paint the cut edges - I don't want any water damage/swelling, I even sealed the edges of the new vanity)

I suppose I could rout out or cutaway clearance on the door trim to allow tiles to go underneath but that seems like overkill. A few years ago I had a bathroom redone in a similar fashion but can't remember how the trim was done but I think the tiles butted up to it.

To preserve the trim whilst I'm tiling I figured I could either use a temporary piece to tile up to, or I could fix the new/permanent stuff and stick a little silicone baking paper/parchment paper against it to protect it.

I will have a similar dilemma at the bottom - tile down to the baseboard? One side of me would like to pull up the vinyl and tile the floor too, but I'm trying to avoid the project running over 12 months, which it's approaching and I can't afford much $$ either! The vinyl is cut in such a way I could not tile to it and finish it with silicone if I wanted to (except in front of the shower, which I'm happy about, I don't want a piece of wood in front of it to go rotten, I can white silicone the join with the floor so it looks nice)

Any thoughts?

Comment (1)