SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

Upgrade, Purchase questions

marknmt
15 years ago

I am sorry to have to ask such basic questions, but I do, so thanks for your patience and help.

We've decided to take the big step and upgrade from dialup. yup, we're a little behind the times.

We've been running Windows 98SE for years, with a Chameleon browser. The computer is a PII 266 (I think) with about a 192 meg RAM, IRRC. It works OK most of the time, but when my wife is on Facebook or GoogleMail it is extremely sluggish. Booting seems to help most of the time, as does clearing the cache, I think. (It's my hunch that these sites are slow because they're shuffling data back and forth between us and them a lot, or because they're using so much memory that the system has to keep writing to the hard drive- we do seem to find it useful to defrag two or three times a week.)

When we upgrade to 256 kb we'll have to buy a network card (about $60.00) and a modem ($65.00) and we'll also have to get serious about security, I suppose.

We don't do games and don't do heavy computing chores- mostly our computer is just a glorified communications device. Flight simulators and astronomy calculators would rarely, if never, be needed, for example.

Should we just buy a newer unit for maybe $500? And if so, should we go with Vista or is there some other option? I've always been intrigued by the Linux possibilities, if there's anything that's user-friendly enough for a guy who mostly just wants it to work without a bunch of tinkering.

Thanks so much for your time and help. And if I need to break this down into a couple of posts, let me know and I will! And please let me know where I don't know what I'm talking about- I'm sure there's plenty.

Thanks again,

Mark

Comments (5)