SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milesbella

Upgrading Kitchen - Sink & Flooring Questions

milesbella
10 years ago

This is my first post. I'm happy to have found this forum!

My husband and I recently bought all new SS appliances and have decided to upgrade the kitchen. We currently have honey oak cabinets, which we will be keeping.

We will be getting a quartz countertop (sample below), adding a backsplash (I prefer the subway tiles, something less busy since the countertop has a lot going on) and upgrading our sink (currently a chipped cast iron).

For the sink - we've narrowed it down to a stainless steel or the black granite composite. Curious which one people prefer? I've read mixed reviews on the granite composite and whether it stains and/or is hard to keep looking clean (not cloudy or with spots),

And finally, the flooring. We currently have vinyl sheet flooring that has some scrapes, plus I don't like the pattern. This is where we're having the biggest disagreement and trouble figuring out what would be best.

We have two teenagers and a handful of their friends that are at our house regularly. We use the entry from the garage through the kitchen 95% of the time (very high traffic area). We also have two female English bulldogs (think lots of drool and water spilling when they get a drink). We want a wood floor, or a laminate wood floor or a vinyl plank floor. We definitely want the wood look - we just don't know which way to go.

We had all but decided to go with the vinyl plank floor (floating) and had decided on the TrafficMaster Interlock from Home Depot. This is NOT the Allure that has been getting such bad reviews (but is the same brand name), but after spending all day researching, now I'm second guessing this floor choice.

I would love real wood but don't think it would be a good choice with the water. I've read that laminate is just as bad (with water).

To complicate things, my husband has now decided he'd like to replace the existing carpet in the family room (open concept floor plan) and down the hallway with whatever wood or wood-like product we choose so I really want to make sure we pick the right product.

Is there a "best" vinyl product out there that you would recommend? Think that real wood be okay in the kitchen described above? Think that laminate would be the best choice? Someone, please help!

Comments (12)