SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphva

Pros and cons of metal roofing?

ralphva
15 years ago

I'm thinking about selling my 30 year old home and building another one. My current house has always had asphalt shingles and I like the look of them. My wife wants a metal roof on the new house and I'm inclined to go along since the type of house we'll be building will go well with even simple ribbed metal roofing. But since I've never had a metal roof I was hoping some of you could share with me your opinions, experiences and thoughts on metal as a roofing material.

I am particularly interested in how easy it would be to repair a metal roof should a limb or something similar fall on it and put a hole through it. I also wonder what precautions one would use should they ever need to climb the roof for some reason. It seems to me if someone was on the roof they would have to be mighty careful not to dent the material.

Are metal roofs as carefree as they would appear to be? Does the color fade over time. Any brands that have exceptionally good or bad reputations?

Anything at all you care to tell me about your experience or knowledge of metal roofing would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (18)