SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daveaz_gw

Shower pan to wall transition (How?)

daveaz
13 years ago

This is my first post, so please bear with me.

History:

My homebuilder decided to construct my restrooms by laying tile directly onto regular sheetrock with no vapor barrier at all. It was built with a molded plastic pan that did not hold up well. It has had stains in it since I moved in.

Somehow it managed to last 15 years, but now the bottom foot of the sheetrock has decayed and I am seeing studs through a huge hole. I recently paid off my property and I plan to rent it out for a few years and eventually return to live in it again.

I haven't done a shower in 20 years, so I thought to research new products and came up with a plan.

I bought:

Pre-pitch angled float sticks

Oatey tile shower drain

I am about to purchase watrproofing membrane.

I read a lot about Kerdi and I saw this great link:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg111135518894.html

(I wish the pictures were still there)

There is a former Kerdi seller who now carrys ProVa-Mat who whines on every forum about how they took his bread and butter, but he made one good point- Kerdi doesn't want you to use modified thinset because it isn't faced to accept it well. His rants talked me into ProVa-Mat, but I am buying from a different seller due to my not liking that guy's personal agenda.

Perhaps it was the tile failure, perhaps it was my dislike of cleaning grout or picturing tenants not caring for it, but I decided on cultured marble shower walls, 5/16" thick. There is a local cultured marble company who manufacture and install. I visited them and got a sample for color and a (based on square foot) quote.

I liked these website directions, but it does not go on a concrete slab and he is not using cultured marble walls, so I am having issues visualizing the different steps I'd take. The directions:

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

I am putting my mortar bed on a concrete slab. Do I need anything between concrete/mortar to prevent the slab from sucking the moisture out of the mortar before it cures properly?

Here is where I lose focus as to the order of operations.

Do I put in my presloped mortar bed in on the floor slab all the way to the wall framing, then put cement board walls in, then do my ProVa-Mat membrane? (I picture the cultured marble as the vapor barrier.)

At this point I picture the membrane with modified thinset adhering it to the presloped mortar bed, lapping 6" up the walls and completely over the curb at the entrance side. Also a 5" strip of membrane up the (2) wall corners.

Next have the cultured marble installed, follwed by screening and mortar the curb, then finally thinset and tile the floor and curb, and grout.

Summary: make "mud pan," lay membrane, have cultured marble installed, scrren/mortar the curb, thinset/tile the shower pan & curb.

Does this all sound correct, or am I planning something improperly?

Comments (4)