SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alku05

Master Bdrm/Bath Layout Input Needed

alku05
13 years ago

Three years ago, we found the Kitchen Forum extremely helpful in designing and building our kitchen. (Indeed, the term "extremely helpful" is probably the understatement of the century.) Now we're designing a major 2-story addition to our house of which the top floor will be a new master bed & bath that opens onto a deck.

We would really love any input you may have in the layout of the master and its bath.

Bath "Wants"

- water closet

- soaking tub (no jets or bubbles b/c I don't want to deal with the extra upkeep)

- large shower (possibly multi-head, but not steam)

- two sinks would be great, but not essential

Bedroom needs lots of closet space, and we like the closet adjoining the bath so it acts as a dressing room, and walking throught the closet to the bath is preferred over walking through the bath to the closet.

Here's a link to the latest version of the layout from the architects:

(I lose too much detail when I try to resize it to post the picture directly here.)

Although this layout has all of the aspects we want, it's all kinda crowded in there. Also the the right of the closets is a "make-up" area that we're not sure what to do with, but we do know make-up isn't it! (When I saw "make-up" on the plans I asked if it was make-up air for the new heating system, and my husband had to explain that it was a place for me to do my make-up...if I ever did my make-up that is.)

- It may be a possibility to push the back bathroom wall back, thus eliminating the little roof and making it flush with the back of the house.

- We may consider eliminating the little roof behind the bump-out on the right (aforementioned make-up area) to widen the space back there.

- The stairs may end up getting shifted back a little which may give us the option of moving the door into the bedroom if that would help.

- We'll have a panaramic view of the mesa, sand dunes and ocean from the deck, so the space near there is the prime area of the room.

- All of the footprint in front of the bumpout on the right has to stay the way it is so that out house doesn't end up too goofy looking.

Any and all input greatly appreciated! Below you'll find links to a few more pictures of the overall project that you may find helpful. (I'm going to post the bottom of the addition in the Building a Home forum to get some input on it.)

3-D exterior elevations:

(probably most useful)

Thanks!

Comments (4)