SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oksir83

What were they thinking? Vent Duct Routing

oksir83
11 years ago

My wife and I are nearing the completion of a "semi-custom" home build. We made many changes to the original plan and finishing details, so it is not a custom home, but I guess a small step above a typical tract build. Anyways, we had our appliances picked out and written into the specs before any contracts were signed. We noted in the contract addendum that the hood (600 cfm VAH) was to be vented to exterior per the manufacturer specs. Given this is semi-custom, I do not have detailed HVAC plans, if any even exist, but rather just the typical floorplan, electrical, foundation, etc. I had pointed out to the construction manager that the HVAC vent was in the way of the vent hood duct routing a couple months ago, thinking they would relocate it before running the vent duct up into the attic and out. The attic is directly above the kitchen, so no floor supports to weave through, etc and I figured about an easy a routing as one could ask for. My wife and I stopped by yesterday to check the progress and were shocked to see this...the duct run through the wall behind the cabinets (cutting a stud in the process) and then up through the laundry room ceiling. She is most worried about a large box being in the upper corner of her laundry room and I am concerned about loss of efficiency from the two 90ð bends right near the hood, plus one more in the attic that isn't visible. Are we overreacting or is this unacceptable? Our buyer's agent is aware of the issue and plans to take it to the CM and builder today. I just want to make sure we are justified in thinking this is crazy and a sure sign of laziness. IMHO, the simplest solution would have been to run the duct out the top of the cabinet and up into the attic, the box around and drywall/trim as they have done in many of their other homes. (Also, we are aware there are different color knobs on the kitchen cabinets...should all be a hammered nickel, not oiled bronze. Another contractor oversight, yet much easier to remedy)

Comments (19)