SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_coopersmith

Can I use microwave ducted vent for recirculation exhaust venting?

Jill Coopersmith
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Perhaps this is an unusual question - I have not seen any others like it posted here.

BACKGROUND INFO:

In my new kitchen (which is not yet complete), My OTR microwave cabinet is bumped out to 15" and the surrounding wall cabinets are both 13" deep. The desired look is to flush-mount the microwave to the bumped out upper cabinet, leaving only 2 inches exposed on each side.

There are only 2 ways to achieve this look... 1) Vent any OTR microwave to the outside so that the top recirculation vent is not used, or 2) Use a front-vent microwave which does not require the MW extend beyond the front the cabinet it is mounted to. Since I do not have access to an outside wall or roof to use the ducted exhaust option for outside venting I have to use option 2 and install a front-vent microwave. The problem is there are very few models available (I found a frigidaire model) but I had to sacrifice features and the MW is not as nice a model as I would otherwise choose.

MY QUESTION:

Can the duct-vented exhaust option of a microwave be converted to recirculate into the room, to a location other than the MW's built in blower? All of these units now have option to vent outside or recirculate... what I want is a hybrid... meaning I want to duct the exhaust up through the cabinet, and have it end at the top of the cabinet and just blow into the room. I have vaulted ceilings so there is lots of open space above the cabinet.

I realize that the built in recirculation blower has a filter to catch the grease and grime, but I am thinking I could I add a filter to the end-point of the duct work to perform the same function. Afterall, the air, steam, and smoke that being vented is the same air whether it goes through the duct or the recirculation blower.

I have mocked up a view of how I envision this. I am seeking feedback from anyone with expertise in microwave venting. Is my idea possible???

Here is the microwave I will need to use if I cannot solve the venting. It's not ideal...

Comments (14)