SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_247834317

How to add a controllable alternate vent to a 10" vent hood duct run

HU-247834317
3 years ago

We live in the Northwest where A/C is uncommon. To cool the house in the evenings and early morning we put fans in upper level windows to blow hot air out and open lower floor windows to let cool air in then close up the house to keep us cool during the day.

We recently remodeled our kitchen and added a 1200 CFM external blower in the attic to draw exhaust from a rangetop in our lower level kitchen up though an upper level closet into the attic blower where is exhausted outside. During construction I realized that if I loosened the clamps to slide down an upper vent section in the closet, covered the lower section with a cardboard box, and turned on the blower it would exhaust a lot of the warmest air without the hassle of portable fans in windows. Unfortunately, Once the kitchen was done that meant sliding/clamping the duct to switch from rangetop venting to "cool the house" venting and vice-versa. I would like to replace a section of standard 10" duct with duct mechanism that can be switched to vent to the side (one side or all around) and simultaneously close off the lower duct. It would have to switch back and forth easily to be practical.

I am envisioning a tee (or Y) with a damper of sorts that could switch the open duct from the one side to the other with a lever. Or possibly two concentric inner/outer duct sections with vertical slots that could be rotated to align for whole house venting and misalign for rangetop venting.

Does anybody know of anything or have an idea of how to fabricate something that might suite this purpose? I understand that this might seem like a crazy idea to some but we have found the "mockup" solution to be quite effective albeit cumbersome to switch. I am also aware that over time exhaust ducts tend to get coated with sticky substances.

Thank you in advance for any ideas. Here are a couple photos of the temporary "mockup".

Comments (8)