SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfnewbie

Vent Hood Ducting Issue - How to deal with too many turns and screws??

future materializes
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Not sure if I'm in the right forum. We have a ducting issue for our range hood and hoping there are some experts on here that can help!

I bought a hood that is 600 CFM blower system equivalent to 900 CFM. The manual said we need 8" inflexible duct, which we had the contractor install. The issue is that my contractor wasn't able to place the duct against the wall where my range will be installed because the floor joists was directly above. Therefore, the opening for the duct was moved six to eight inches away from the wall. Because the duct is not directly over my wall hood, we will have to install TWO 45 degree bends to meet the location in the ceiling. Also, there is a soft 90 degree transition to the ceiling in order to fit between floor joists and then another 90 degree transition once the duct is outside of the building to exhaust to the ceiling (we live in the city and the code is very strict about blowing air when you are less than a couple feet from your neighbor's). See badly drawn picture.

I've spoken to the manufacturer and they are basically saying that the hood is going to be louder and smoke may not be able to escape because of the back to back 45 degree turns and then a 90 degree turn which is probably less than four feet away. This isn't great.

In addition, my husband looked at the vent and the contractor put screws along the outside edges (please see picture)?! I have heard that this will cause turbulence and air leakage.

So, maybe we can build a soffit closer to the wall, which we didn't want to do. Do we have any other options? I would like my vent hood to be functional.

Comments (22)