SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Plumbing leak from shower in new house...help!

stretchad
15 years ago

So, DH and I just moved into a house built in 1982 last Friday. The owners had not lived in it since October. Yesterday we were inspecting the kitchen lighting when we noticed some bubbling of paint on the ceiling. DH poked the spot and his finger went through the drywall! When we stepped back and looked at the area, it was clear that the ceiling had been patched previously (maybe a 2x2 square). We must have missed the patch when inspecting the house.

Directly above that area is a shower stall and jacuzzi bathtub. We don't recall this bubbling paint when we initially saw the house, nor when the inspection was conducted in mid-April...we think the bubbling paint/moist ceiling has occurred since we moved in and started taking a shower in the bathroom stall (haven't used the tub yet). As I mentioned before, it hadn't been used since Oct.

There doesn't seem to be any broken tiles, missing grout or anything in the shower, but there are a couple of places where the grout & caulk looks new. I peeked my head into the jacuzzi tub's access door to get a look at what I could of the shower and didn't notice any moisture on the side I could see...I'm new to owning a home that has issues (i lived in new construction before w/out a single problem), I'm not sure what to do at this point... DO I call a plumber and let him charge me $45 for a trip plus $94 an hour (is that even a reasonable rate)? Will a plumber rip down my drywall requiring huge patching? We want to redo the shower and bathroom in a year or two - should I prepare myself to redo the shower now??

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH