SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breislach

Another tile flange question: can a bad install be saved?

breislach
15 years ago

Hi there, helpful experts:

I'm in the midst of a bathroom remodel (well, the contractor is). I purchased an acrylic Duravit tub with a field-installed tile flange, for a tub/shower application. At the price, I was expecting something more than a peel-and-press strip of plastic, but that's what the manufacturer supplied.

The plumber attached the strip to the tub, but it's buckled and crimped, especially at the corners (this is a 3-wall alcove installation). I discussed this with the contractor who agreed it didn't look great but thought he could make it right (with ample use of silicone caulk, I guess).

The tub is now in place, with cement board installed on the walls above it, and the flange looks even worse than before: gaps between the base of the flange and the top edge of the tub. Looks like an wet accident just waiting to happen.

After belatedly reading various threads here, I realize that I should never have gone with the field-installed flange. But since I have, can anyone suggest a way to retrofit this situation so that I don't end up with leaks?

I'm wondering specifically if it would help to have the contractor install the Dilex-AS movement barrier *over* that part of the flange that's still visible, and then caulking over that, after the tile's been installed?

I guess I should add that this is a second-floor bathroom. The contractor did attach plastic sheeting to the studs behind the cement board, but at the moment, the tub is sitting on the subfloor.

I'm pretty bummed about the way things have unfolded, and will be very grateful for any suggestions. Thanks very much!

Comment

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus