SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Floor Prep Questions Before Stone Tile Install

enduring
11 years ago

Hi, I have removed my plaster on 2 walls getting ready for new BR remodel. I have removed the fixtures and the old linoleum. Now there is glue residue that is covering the old T&G fir flooring that I wanted to keep as a subfloor. Last fall I asked this forum about prep for this floor and now need help getting some clarification on my plans.

I need to get my floor ready for tile and warming system. What I have planned is to keep the 3/4" diagonal subfloor & the 3/4" fir flooring, creating about 1.5" of subfloor. The wood is all old wood with nice grain. The joist at this point are 21" OC and I will be adding another joist between each of these. I will not sister these joist, nor will I use blocking. I will screw these joist into the diagonal subflooring. The long joist run about 10' free span. The width of the room is about 6.5'. There are 5 joist total. The joist become about 10" OC, I guess, after inserting the extra joist. The crawl space to do this will be inconvenient but can be done (I'm going to have my 21yo son do it).

So, now that I have the linoleum off. I was going to screw down 3/8" exterior grade plywood, into the top layering of flooring. I was not going to glue the plywood. I was not going to remove the old linoleum glue either. I was just going to make sure that the fir flooring was smooth before installing the plywood.

Then, having a nice surface to work with I will apply my electric floor warming system. I will cover this heating system with self leveling compound (SLC). I have read Staceyneal's post on this topic and will use her techniques that she learned from Mongoct, to seal any gaps, preventing escaping SLC. She had a great post on the use of SLC for her BR remodel.

Ditra applied over the SLC using modified thinset.

Install 12x6" slate tile with unmodified thinset over the Ditra.

Questions:

1) Is my plan sound?

2) Is it ok to not remove the adhesive before putting in the plywood? I REALLY think it is TOO hard to remove this adhesive!

3) How close together do I need to space my screws on the plywood when I install it over my fir T&G?

4) Do I need to prep the plywood before the SLC?

5) Do I have the plumber come in and put in toilet, tub, and sink rough-ins before the SLC or after?

6) Have I missed something?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. If you have input I would welcome it.

Comments (8)