SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi1967_gw

What questions to ask tile installer before hiring

mimi1967
16 years ago

We are remodeling a master bath using 12x12 polished marble tiles on the walls(shower walls also) and floor. 2x2 tumbled marble on the shower floor and bench face.Marble slab will go on the bench seat. We will install a 12" tall vertical marble mosaic (pieces are 5/8" x 6" on a mesh sheet with 2 rows of tile on each sheet). The mesh sheet will be cut horizontally to make two 6" pieces to make the border in the shower and around the perimeter of the bath. It needs to be cut because the shower border uses two rows but the top row will be offset by one tile from the bottom row. The border in the rest of the bath will be a single row of the mosaic. Both the shower and wall mosaics will be bordered by bullnosed pencil trim above and below. We have a wall mounted faucet and the mosaic will be centered on the faucet spout. We will be interviewing installers and I want to make sure the job is done as correctly (and perfectly) as possible. Can you tile experts (Bill V please answer) out there give me some specific questions we should ask each installer? I am wondering about shower base, grout width, type of grout, color of material used under the tiles, should the tiles be sealed, and with what.

What order should the installation take, shower first, etc. and where should caulk be used instead of grout? Anything else we should know would be so much appreciated.

Comments (3)