SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Bathroom tile and prep questions

pjb999
15 years ago

So my mini bathroom reno (which grew) is coming up on its first anniversary and I'd like to finish it now - decided to go with tile behind vanity, above shower was just ordinary drywall which was not in terrible shape but clearly not ideal.

I have put the blue drywall behind where the vanity will go, I'm satisfied it's not going to get that wet, but around the shower and above it, I want to tile and thought I'd use backerboard or whatever the fibrecement sheeting is called....which leads to a couple of more questions -

1) I understand some drywall mud is suitable for tiling and some isn't, what's best, and should the backerboard stuff be mudded at all?

2) Can said mud be used for a transition join between the drywall and the backerboard? Can I tape the join, or is fibreglass tape (the mesh stuff) better?

3) I need to fur the woodwork out to bring everything level with the concealed edges the shower enclosure has under whatever wall material you use. Original setup they used plywood which faired quite well. I thought I might use hardboard (masonite) instead, and use my air stapler to affix it. Is that ok/advisable?

4) I'm (ideally) keeping the original door jamb which means it finishes more or less flush with the drywall. Around the rest of the house I've used a plain, chunky square 4"x1" trim/skirting/doorframe. I figure I have to either affix the trim *before* the tiling because I assume the tiles will butt up against them. I thought about using parchment paper or similar to protect the trim edges when tiling then remove paper and silicone seal the edge (and maybe not attempt to grout up to the edge of the trim)

5) Am I crazy to leave the vinyl flooring when I'm doing virtually everything else? Vinyl is in good shape despite the work etc that went on around it, and it continues out into the hall unbroken so I'd have to redo a fair amount of flooring. I'd love to tile it but I figure walls are hard enough (haven't tiled a wall before) so floors might be a it much...besides, I'm thinking as long as I'm prepared to remove skirting, vanity and toilet, the floor could be redone later, if necessary....?

Comments (5)