SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Bathroom / shower prep

jjaazzy
15 years ago

So I am doing research research trying to get all the steps down for preping this bathroom so it is done right. When we purchased the home it was only 6 years old and the master bath had cracked el cheepo 6"x6" wall tiles on the floor in the field. We just lived with it until the shower started to fail. We have gutted it and found many problems that contributed to it's ultimate failure. We found no insualation in bottom section of framing against exterior walls (bottom 12")in the shower area, and nails in the shower pan below 12". The other huge problem was the cracking field tiles throughout the mb. We found that altho they put 2nd layer of 3/4" plywood it was not screwed down nearly enough. DH says we have to put a ton of screws into this 3/4 in plywood to firm it up. I have gone to the web site you all suggested for the Ditra and the other Kerdi products and I am confussed. Should we put the additonal screws into the field flooring and then use this Ditra to help it even further? I have seen the Ditra used in the shower stall as well too? btw the top half of my house is stick built and the bottom cbs we are in florida. The joist have 24" spacing and I know this tile was el'crap'o before but I also know it cracked and want to fix the problem.

Comment