SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeremy_hyman83

Durock meets lath prepping for tadelakt plaster bathroom

jeremy hyman
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello all, doing a traditional plaster bathroom, wet area and all. Ran into something I can’t quite find an answer for in the manufactures materials or online so calling all plaster experts.

Background:

Renovating a bathroom here. The walls were half plaster, half tile. The alcove tub was in terrible shape and the acrylic surround looked terrible so we did a gut of the tub, surround, and tile walls. This project is in a 100 year old house with plaster everywhere else so we decided to go full plaster and dive into the world of tadelakt. The substrate is prepped the same way as you would for tile. I am at the point where durock is up. I’ll be applying mesh tape and modified thinset, then aqua defense. After that its time to begin the plaster process for tadelakt.

Question:

As you can see in the photos, the inside wall of the shower is sloped and plaster. I am tadelakting about halfway up, which is where the durock ends. The rest of the wall approaching the ceiling will be regular plaster. Where the durock ends I have a gap of about one lath thickness. I am wondering the best way, and material to bridge this gap.

My thought is to use thinset to bridge the gap and perhaps drill some extra holes so the thinset has mechanical bond, in addition to the bond to the wood lath.

So, anyone have any experiences like this? Any informed input appreciated!

Comments (7)