SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

do you wash your dishes before you wash your dishes?

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

I was just wondering if other people wash their dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. About a year ago I posted a thread here (on my 23rd b/d actually!) entitled, "does anyone still hand wash their dishes?" I got quite a few responses (you can still find the thread if you do a search) from people that didn't like dishwashers and just used theirs to store things in. The reason I posted that thread was because I was moving into an apartment without a dishwasher and I wanted tips on how to make handwashing faster and easier. Well, after an almost MISERABLE year of handwashing dishes I just couldn't stand it anymore. Last week, I bought a portable dishwasher that hooks up to the faucet. I've used it about 6 times now and I must say I am in LOVE. I don't know how I survived without a dishwasher, but I do know that I will never be without one again. My dishes are sanitary now and cleaner than I've ever gotten them by hand. Some people say that they can hand wash dishes faster than the dishwasher. Who would want to? Even if it takes less time, the machine does a better job. Plus, the human can do other things while the cycle is running. I do not rinse my dishes at all before putting them in, and they come out spotless every time. I've heard some people say that they always rinse or wash their dishes first and just use the dishwasher to sanitize. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a dishwasher if you ask me. I read online that if you rinse your dishes first you actually inhibit the functionality of the machine. The dishwasher uses the food particles to help scrub AND depends on the food particles to maintain the proper PH balance in the machine. Just curious... do you wash/rinse first? If so, what is your logic? Thanks!

Comments (20)