SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cork2win

Help with travertine tile floor please

cork2win
16 years ago

Sorry for cross-posting but I'm short on time and I don't know if the flooring forum is as busy as this one.

We have two areas of our house where we want to install some black travertine tile we found at a local tile store. These areas are around our fireplaces, where the stone will serve as heat collection and protection from ash, dropped logs, etc.

Now, first of all, I'm reading that there is no such thing as black travertine, yet here it is. I am absolutely in love with this tile. It looks natural and rustic and would fit well with our home which sits in the middle of 20 acres. But if black travertine doesn't exist, what is this?

We went to another tile store yesterday where we will be receiving a discount if we purchase all of our tile, and of course, they don't carry this product. The salesperson there was telling my husband that the black travertine would be a mistake in our situation because of the maintenance it requires. She said it requires sealing, and would scratch and show wear easily.

Now, I'm not really worried about it showing wear because I think that would add to the "rustic" quality of the stone look, but my husband is now convinced he'd rather do porcelain tile because there aren't any issues with it. In my mind, the porcelain looks too "perfect" and "fake" for our installation, so I'm trying to steer him toward the travertine, but only if it's a good decision.

I need to know just how much maintenance is involved with a travertine floor and if anyone has any comments or helpful advice or suggestions regarding our situation. I'm going to stop at this tile store tonight and get a sample and beat it up a little over the weekend just to see how it behaves, but I'm curious what others know about this product and its uses.

Thanks!

Comments (6)