SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaidog_gw

Shower Floor Saga Continues (Latest Subject: Polished Slate)

jaidog
12 years ago

I had talked myself out of using slate on the shower floor and started looking at 2x2, 3x3, or 4x4 mosaic porcelain tiles in the under $10/sft price range. I am looking for something dark (black, gray), but want to avoid a solid color.

Based on some recommendations I found on this forum, I looked at Daltile Continental Slate and found the Asian Black to be too blue for my shower. I also saw a more basic Daltile 2x2 which comes in plenty of colors, but the colors had no variation -- just solid. I also looked at Crossville Bluestone which looked nice until I saw the price.

Then, I came across a 2x2 called Black Slate. I wanted to avoid slate, but this was unlike any slate I had seen in the past. It's smooth, each piece is the same thickness, and it has a very slight sheen. The salesman stated it was polished slate. It had no clefts and the salesman okayed it for a shower, whereas he would not recommend cleft slate for a shower. To top it off, it was priced at $7/sft for the 2x2 mosaic.

Has anyone had experience with polished slate? I plan to get a sample of it and soak it in water for a couple of days as suggested in another post. Anything else I can try in order to determine if it will hold up on a shower floor?

Comments (5)